Options

2,000th Dgrinner

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,201 moderator
edited February 26, 2005 in The Big Picture
We just passed 2,000 a few minutes ago. Welcome gmorris to the forums. :clap :clap :clap
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    i was watching
    David_S85 wrote:
    We just passed 2,000 a few minutes ago. Welcome gmorris to the forums. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

yeah, welcome gmorris, and the 1999 before you, thanks for being part of this fantastic communty :D
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 23, 2005
    sure doesn't feel like there's 2000 folks here... come on out lurkers! :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    Wow, what was my number? I think this is one of the best places on the web and I love it here!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Oh man, compare the number of New Posts now, to just a few months ago. We're so much busier.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Wow, what was my number? I think this is one of the best places on the web and I love it here!

If you look at a user profile, the url will look like this

http://www.dgrin.com/member.php?userid=1380

This is yours, so you were #1380.
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    *lifts up a rock* no kidding, where are they? lol

no, really, that is AWESOME! thumb.gifbeer.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 24, 2005
    Oh my! I'm number 1668 and I just joined in mid January. Impressive new member rate. I see Andy is #4.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,201 moderator
    edited February 24, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Oh my! I'm number 1668 and I just joined in mid January. Impressive new member rate. I see Andy is #4.
    "I'm #1358, and I'm reporting for duty." wave.gif That was from December.

We don't need to report that number on our federal tax forms, do we? If so, let me know real soon, 'cause the tax man cometh. deal.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    If you look at a user profile, the url will look like this

http://www.dgrin.com/member.php?userid=1380

This is yours, so you were #1380.

That method doesn't work very well. You are #8. BMWrider is right after you (#31), then {JT} (#18), then me (#40), followed by Dukegirl (#9).
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Perhaps it's because 1000 of the registered users have never posted. ne_nau.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    That method doesn't work very well. You are #8. BMWrider is right after you (#31), then {JT} (#18), then me (#40), followed by Dukegirl (#9).
    so the numbers are not indicative of our membership cue?
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Mine's correct. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Clearly not all of them are. Most may be, I dunno...but I found a bunch that weren't.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Clearly not all of them are. Most may be, I dunno...but I found a bunch that weren't.
    fish wrote:

Which ones were wrong? All of these users signed up on 1/9/04 when we officially opened for posting. It almost started about month earlier, but then was delayed. I would suspect we would find that Baldy posted it on ADVrider that day and those you see we quick to sign up.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Which ones were wrong?
    These for a start.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Perhaps it's because 1000 of the registered users have never posted. ne_nau.gif
    inflation. can't escape it..... umph.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    These for a start.

Those seem right to me, what is wrong with those numbers? maybe the time it took to confirm the #'s? There were a lot of sign ups on that day. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Those seem right to me, what is wrong with those numbers? maybe the time it took to confirm the #'s? There were a lot of sign ups on that day. ne_nau.gif
    Patch, you might need to go back to counting class.

What's wrong with this pattern:

2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 31, 18, 40, 9, 10.

AFAIK, usernames aren't assigned until confirmed.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Patch, you might need to go back to counting class.

What's wrong with this pattern:

2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 31, 18, 40, 9, 10.

AFAIK, usernames aren't assigned until confirmed.
    Where are you seeing this pattern? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Where are you seeing this pattern? headscratch.gif

go to members list. sort by join date, and mouse over the usernames. the url will show the userid.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    go to members list. sort by join date, and mouse over the usernames. the url will show the userid.
    I tried that. When I ran my mouse over the names, I got nothing. I noticed that One Thumb is first. Makes sense. All the "founding fathers" joined early, like 12-11-2003. I also noticed that a lot of those people have "zero" posts. They must have joined for moral support. Hehehe.

Andy is fourth on the list. Hey Andy, I also noticed it says, "second-rate photographer" under your name. I love it. Did you just change that? So funny! (I read the recent threads) I never knew you were prejudiced towards dogs. How come my dog pics never win? rolleyes1.gifRed is practically a mascot here. Gees! :D

I joined as soon as I saw the little blurb on my smugmug site. May 2004. Hey, I just noticed that I have 959 posts. Coming up on 1,000 soon. Lets celebrate that, huh? I'm sort of an old timer.

There sure are a lot of recent new members. I think that's wonderful!
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:

Ah, thanks.

By my count, some 40 people signed up for dgrin on that one day, January 9th. Among them is every person you named.

Their member number is the order in which they signed up on that day. The numbers work.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    fish wrote:

the pattern i like is that i joined before you :poke

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Ah, thanks.

By my count, some 40 people signed up for dgrin on that one day, January 9th. Among them is every person you named.

Their member number is the order in which they signed up on that day. The numbers work.

Not so quick, for some reason the software is assigning numbers on the same sign up day out of order, by time. I don't know why, but 1/9 ends with 46 total users and the last to sign up is right. It is a slow night so I did some looking at statics and this is what I found. I don't know what the time refers to, the original time they started the sign up process or when they confirmed the sign up? ne_nau.gif

List sorted by time signed up (not adjusting for duplicate times). This list matches, sorting the member list by join date, but why are the user ID's out of order? headscratch.gif

2 onethumb 12/11/2003 15:00
    1 baldy 12/11/2003 23:40
    3 Tugrik 12/12/2003 15:00
    4 andy 12/12/2003 15:00
    5 wxwax 12/15/2003 15:00
    6 john gomes 1/8/2004 14:10
    7 Shay Stephens 1/8/2004 15:00
    8 patch29 1/9/2004 12:00
    31 BMWrider 1/9/2004 12:00
    18 {JT} 1/9/2004 15:00
    40 Fish 1/9/2004 15:00
    9 Dukegirl 1/9/2004 17:35
    10 GuidoT 1/9/2004 17:37
    39 Win38-55 1/9/2004 21:51
    41 Humungus 1/9/2004 22:03
    46 turkish 1/9/2004 23:58
    47 trailace 1/10/2004 0:06

List sorted by userID #

1 baldy 12/11/2003 23:40
    2 onethumb 12/11/2003 15:00
    3 Tugrik 12/12/2003 15:00
    4 andy 12/12/2003 15:00
    5 wxwax 12/15/2003 15:00
    6 john gomes 1/8/2004 14:10
    7 Shay Stephens 1/8/2004 15:00
    8 patch29 1/9/2004 12:00
    9 Dukegirl 1/9/2004 17:35
    10 GuidoT 1/9/2004 17:37
    18 {JT} 1/9/2004 15:00
    31 BMWrider 1/9/2004 12:00
    40 Fish 1/9/2004 15:00
    41 Humungus 1/9/2004 22:03
    46 turkish 1/9/2004 23:58
    47 trailace 1/10/2004 0:06

From what I see now it is mostly on track, but luckyrwe your ID # shows up as 1380, but by sorting the member list by join date (30 users per page) you are on page 46, 28th user, which would seem to make you the 1378 user to join, maybe. I guess we will never know for certain. I don't know which number is the actual number, showing your place in line, sorry for the misinformation.

I am going to look for a life now. deal.gifumph.gif:D
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    blah blah blah yada yada yada....

all i can see is that i was here before :fish

:poke :fish

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

:lol patch! well, sure looks like something funny going on headscratch.gif thanks for tabulating these results thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    I tried that. When I ran my mouse over the names, I got nothing.
    It depends on your browser. On firefox and Safari, the URL of a link will show up in the status bar at the very bottom left of the browser.
    There sure are a lot of recent new members. I think that's wonderful!
    I absolutely agree! The more the better. Photography forums really depend on having a lot of diverse (and non-lurking) members. There are very few images posted that I don't like and I get ideas from almost all of them. Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the pattern i like is that i joined before you :poke
    The pattern *I* like is that you have 1300 more posts than I do, you PUIMF. nod.gif
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    So before dgrin what was there? Was there another board? An email list? How did we survive before?