Straight Up

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited August 13, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
One of these or keep shooting?

Image #1
183339158-M.jpg

Image #2
183339146-M.jpg

I like this series but I am worried about the whole bias against children for this contest (See critique #5. I admit, I agree with this view, though I think it's true for any image of any human. Kids are more easily endearing than adults and that is why I think there is a bias.) Also, from a personal standpoint, I'm trying to branch out in my work. I can take honesty and criticism, all I ask is that if you have feedback you give it!

I like that these images have instant context. Do they elicit emotion in you?

SF2 Entry 22 votes

Submit image #1
18% 4 votes
Submit image #2
4% 1 vote
Neither, keep shooting
77% 17 votes
Fix this first: (then you post your feedback)
0% 0 votes

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Hi Jessie, I think it's natural that some bias against children photos exists, as we all have our likes and dislikes about different subject matter whether it be landscapes, birds, studio shots, pin-up girls or children. I find it unfortunate that some find a need to outwardly express their dislike of a subject matter - sometimes it can come across as elitist. Shots of children seem to elicit this behavior the most. I think the reasons are varied and many. One reason I think is that people feel children shots are 'easy' and that you can't take a bad shot of a child. Try telling that to a child photographer. I think children (and I love them!) can be a PITA to shoot! But very rewarding when it works. :D I expect all entries and all subject matter to be judged for the same criteria. No subject matter, whatever it may be, should be pre-judged negatively without giving it the same consideration for theme, technical excellence, etc. Anyway........I hope you and others will not shy away from photos of children and people shots in general, as variety truly is the spice of life!

Now ..........to your shots. They do have context and the lighting is sweet. I like the 2nd shot best of the two. For this caliber of competition, I would say you are not quite there yet, so don't stop trying! I wish I could offer some better C&C, as I can't seem to quite finger what's missing. I will say your shots are better than anything I've come up with yet and in general, it is a nice series of shots. (My voting is only hitting about 60% so take that into consideration....I may be totally wrong!!! :D ) Good luck in whatever you end up entering!
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Hi Jessie,

I agree with Susan on the judges' preferences bit - children do not appear to be a particular favourite, but, if your photos have enough oomph to sideline other photos, I think you will stand a good chance. I have admired several of your children entries in this challenge (and they have been winners too!) , so I don't think you should rule this option out.

Re: your two possibilities, they are nice, but mostly I think lack a focal point/and or story. For instance it is not immediately clear to me as to what your daughter (I presume) is working at...

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers,
    Sunita
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    2 comments... LPS semifinal number 1 there were 2 children shots in the top ten, so I think a child portrait has just as good a chance as any other shot.... second comment is a personal thing... I'm not a big fan of blown out highlights, other than that, the expression is nice, she looks intent on working on something...

Good luck... I'm having a real hard time comming up with something that would remotely have a snow balls chance in hell of being choosen as a top ten shot... the first 3 posted just blew me away!:cry

Winston
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    2 comments... LPS semifinal number 1 there were 2 children shots in the top ten, so I think a child portrait has just as good a chance as any other shot....

To go further, I don't think, despite the statements that we've seen, that the judges have a grudge against shots of children so much.

I think, it's more that people often tend to photograph their own children and as a reslt, the shots sometimes contain an aspect of feeling or memory that only the photographer has. When someone else looks at the photo, the same message can't be received because the entire message is not present.

The photos don't necessarily stand on their own to express a message to any viewer.

I think, if you want to take a photo of a child, then take it of someone elses and then critique it. If it still has a strong message then consider shooting your own kids (maybe shooting isn't the right word there, but sometimes it might be...:D).

So as far as the judges comments have gone, I would tend to agree to an extent. At times, photos of children can have a weak message because part of it is in the memory of the photographer and not all in the image.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Hey Jesse, though I really like both of these shots, the first and closer one the best, I voted to keep shooting, but with caveats:

Cons:
    1. You run the risk of repeating yourself, as you already had that smashing BW closeup that took the cake in Joy or Sorrow.
    2. Kid shots are fantastik, I love them, but to follow on what Peter just said, if you took a shot of the same scene with a different set of kids, would you be moved about it, or would you even put it up?

Pros:
    1. I think for an SF round we should stick with what we are good at, not try to climb Everest with a new technique or direction, and you are good at shooting kids!

I wouldn't let a critical comment about kid-shots let you stray from what you are good at. Even Saurora has a knack for kid-shots, from a very different perspective, even I think very different ideas on post-processing, but don't let it sway you, as this is a full poplular vote in this round!

And alas, even I am trying to figure out what to do as far as sticking with what I do best or climbing Mt. Everest in this SF round, so go figure....
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited August 13, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    ...but don't let it sway you, as this is a full poplular vote in this round!

Not quite (sorry if I misunderstood).

Judges pick top 10 and then public vote out of them for first. Only the final showdown is full public vote from the start.

Regards,

Peter
    edited August 13, 2007
    Not quite (sorry if I misunderstood).

Judges pick top 10 and then public vote out of them for first. Only the final showdown is full public vote from the start.

Regards,

Peter

Well, OK... My bad... Let's just all stop trying to taylor make our photos for a narrow group of judges....
    Mark
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I find it unfortunate that some find a need to outwardly express their dislike of a subject matter - sometimes it can come across as elitist. Shots of children seem to elicit this behavior the most. I think the reasons are varied and many. One reason I think is that people feel children shots are 'easy' and that you can't take a bad shot of a child. Try telling that to a child photographer. I think children (and I love them!) can be a PITA to shoot! But very rewarding when it works. :D

I'm certainly glad that folks are actualy taking the time to read my critiques- I also hope that what I am saying doesn't come across as "elitist"; that certainly isn't the spirit in which those words are intended. I think it is fair, however, to air one's biases publicly to the folks that submit to competitions. I'd rather people lay out what they look for than to try and grope in the dark for it.

Let me qualify what I'm on about re: the kid shots in this competition. It certainly is possible to take bad kid/pet/family shots. People do it all the time. Rarely do the folks on this site submit shots that I would consider "bad," most folks pay to much attention to their craft, at this level, for that to happen. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare. Certainly the family type shots submitted last round (like the sand castle architects) were very good shots. The problem is that the caliber of the competition is insanely high in the LPS. Out of the 80 shots submitted, I would say less than 10 were "throw aways" where people were submitting stuff simply in order to submit something. The rest of them were very, very good.

The problem is, in my opinion, when you submit child shots, or wedding shots, or things of that nature, is that the "classical" type of child or wedding shot serves a very specific purpose.
    It's purpose is usually to call to mind a specific pre-existing emotional connection to the subject. If that emotional connection does not already exist, it is tough to compare it work that doesn't rely on that sort of situation. The person submitting the photo has to divorce themselves from their personal connection to the photo, and view it from behind the equivalent of a sort of "veil of ignorance." This is, at least to me, almost impossible to do. Even my evaluaton of my own non-family shots suffers from the interference of this sort of "noise." I find that the shots that I like the best are not the favorites of other people. Taking an objective view is very very difficult.

Let me make it very clear that I did not have this response to any of the shots that I critiqued for the last thread, but sometimes I look at a photo and want to say "why did you bother submitting this?" I hesitate to say this sort of thing, because (particularly for a beginner, which we all were at one point) throwing something up on the board and having people crap on it egregiously can be quite disheartening. Better to say nothing than to make people want to stop trying to improve, or to give up all together. If my critique of certain people's photos is strong, its because I think they an handle it- due to the fact that they demonstrate skill.

That being said, "cuteness" isn't an aspect of photography that does anything for me, personally, and I think it is legitimate for me to say that. Other people may be all about cuteness. Let them vote as they please. As I said before, de gustibus non est disputandum- "taste" is not a thing that can be argued. There is no universal formula for what makes a good photo- I like, very often, photos that are typically considered, from an aesthetic point of view, "ugly." Other people, no matter how well done and freighted with meaning an ugly photo is, will never vote for it because its ugly. There is simply no accounting for taste.

Except as regards the issue of selective coloring, which is simply wrong. As obviously wrong as, say, wearing extremely baggy pants, a similar social evil. Normally I am a tolerant individual, but there are limits. Civilization must be maintained.

I expect all entries and all subject matter to be judged for the same criteria. No subject matter, whatever it may be, should be pre-judged negatively without giving it the same consideration for theme, technical excellence, etc.

I agree absolutely. It's not that I automatically discount shots with kids or pets (the "dog behind the bars" from Saurora was one of my favorites from the oppresion/freedom entry thread). I am not going to vote against something just because it has a kid in it. Had I had the capacity to select the top 10 for that round, I would have chosen that photo.

But I do think you ought to keep in mind that this is your themeless opportunity to submit the best possible shot that you can take anywhere, of anything. It ought to be the shot of your life. Is that a shot of your kid? If it is, then by all means submit it. If I agree, I will vote for it.

I also think it's important to recongize that I am not a judge, will never be a judge, and that most of my opinions about aesthetics are at odds with most of the folks that participate here. So take whatever I say with a largish bag of coarse grained salt.thumb.gif
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    To go further, I don't think, despite the statements that we've seen, that the judges have a grudge against shots of children so much.

I think, it's more that people often tend to photograph their own children and as a reslt, the shots sometimes contain an aspect of feeling or memory that only the photographer has. When someone else looks at the photo, the same message can't be received because the entire message is not present.

The photos don't necessarily stand on their own to express a message to any viewer.

I think, if you want to take a photo of a child, then take it of someone elses and then critique it. If it still has a strong message then consider shooting your own kids (maybe shooting isn't the right word there, but sometimes it might be...:D).

So as far as the judges comments have gone, I would tend to agree to an extent. At times, photos of children can have a weak message because part of it is in the memory of the photographer and not all in the image.

Regards,

Peter

15524779-Ti.gif

Another question, I ask...Is this hangable...would anyone want or think of hanging this on their wall, or puchasing it for someone else??

Love your shots though Jesse, and I can relate to them as a parent, but how many other people will get that feeling, or try to get the feeling, or for that matter remember when they were a child?
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited August 13, 2007
    Let me also be clear that I have no problem with a judge who has a preference, or even that Justiceiro had his comments made so clearly. He even said he didn't like petpix and proceeded to say what he liked about the one I did, even though I seem to be the only one on the planet who took the meat=turf concept to the lens...

My point is that there are such diverse ways to judge that 5 judges can't represent the way the majority would think, so don't try to read the judges's minds, as you can't ever tell.. Let's look forward to the constructive feedback we get on things we can't see until someone else points them out..

So Ryan, I feel overly priveledged to have had your feedback on LPS10. :D I know of at least a few who still lie in anticipation of your finishing up your post with comments on #s 23 on up. It's must-read D-Grin if you ask me!
    Mark
    edited August 13, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Well, OK... My bad... Let's just all stop trying to taylor make our photos for a narrow group of judges....

I totally agree with that...

I'll shoot what I want to shoot and if the judges happen to agree then it's a merry time all around. But if they don't, then I'll survive.

Regards,

Peter
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Hi Jesse,

I voted for the keep shooting option, but not without giving it a lot of thought first. I adored your sisters top ten winner and love these two pictures, especially #1 -- the light, the conversion, the subject matter. So I struggled to figure out why I thought you should keep trying for SF#2. The best I could come up with is that, for me, the blocks, shelves, etc. are too distracting. Context (Shay has pounded home again and again) is key but here there are too many thingies drawing the eye away from the child's activity that don't add anything extra to the story.

As for children as subjects, I think they have done quite well in the LPS
    challenges - much better than they did under the old system. So I wouldn't give up on this idea.

Finally, the SF are a time to play to your strengths. So go for it with something you love to photograph. Best of luck.

Virginia

Email