Options

Mission San Gabriel

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited August 14, 2007 in Landscapes
Mission San Gabriel was built in 1771, fourth of a set of Missions that lined up California for the travelers to seek shelter and such. It's actually from here that people traveled to south to found a little city called Los Angeles.
San Gabriel is now a dense suburb of mostly Chinese and Hispanic ethnicities. And amongst this new population exists a monument to times when California was more of a Spanish Colony.

1. Mission Bells.
183327217-M.jpg

2. Inside the church
183327647-M.jpg

3. Flower in the garden
183326939-M.jpg

4. Prayer
183327737-M.jpg

whole gallery is here http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/3299941#183327217

c/c welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Morbid AndrewMorbid Andrew Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2007
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Nice shots Tom - very interesting angles that really (IMO) add to the composition.

On a side note, it's nice to see the mission looking so good. I lived literally around the corner from it in the late 1980's. The mission had been seriously damaged in the Whittier Narrows quakes in the fall of 1987 (?) and was still roped off when we moved a year later. I hadn't been back since, so I was pleased to see that it looks like it's been repaired/renovated thumb.gif

thanks for sharing,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Nice shots Tom - very interesting angles that really (IMO) add to the composition.

On a side note, it's nice to see the mission looking so good. I lived literally around the corner from it in the late 1980's. The mission had been seriously damaged in the Whittier Narrows quakes in the fall of 1987 (?) and was still roped off when we moved a year later. I hadn't been back since, so I was pleased to see that it looks like it's been repaired/renovated thumb.gif

thanks for sharing,

C.

Hmmm, I didn't know it was damaged in the earth quake. Yea, no visible damamge or things like that when we were there.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Your first image is greatclap.gif

This looks similar to what others have been doing with the tilt/shift lenses by tweeking the tilt at a shallow depth of field. However, it does not really matter how you did it, it just workedthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    Your first image is greatclap.gif

This looks similar to what others have been doing with the tilt/shift lenses by tweeking the tilt at a shallow depth of field. However, it does not really matter how you did it, it just workedthumb.gif
    The first shot was with a Lensbaby 2.0. It's basically a poorman's tiltshift.
    I added a wideangle adapter as my camera has a 1.6x crop factor and b/c the lens baby is a 50mm lens without the adapter.