Options

Need help building a light box - a BIG light box

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,217 moderator
edited August 30, 2007 in Technique
I have been given an assignment by a new client...my mom. "Please shoot pictures of my antique lighting for insurance, cataloguing and for an auction portfolio some day in the future. I can hire you or I could hire a professional to do it." So... I can't turn that job down. I said "yes" of course lol3.

Many of the pieces are dark black dull metal - not the easiest to shoot I would think. We're talking many many hundreds of shots - from different angles - so reliable and repeatable results are needed.

All I've seen on the net are examples of common sized light boxes made with a cardboard box, some stiff rolled paper, and either 2-3 flash units in synch or some quartz work lights. All fine and good for the small items under 12 inches high. I'm up to the challenge of building a light box; that's no problem. But... some pieces are 36 inches high, wide, deep, or some combination. :huh

This no doubt means two light boxes - one small and the other ginormous.

So how do I bulid a light box big enough to handle pieces so large? Anyone ever done that? I'm figuring I'll need extremely stiff non-glossy paper for the "floor" and background about 48 or maybe 60 inches wide, and then much longer to extend up the back. Where do I find paper like that? And I might need colors other than white.

Any links, hints, pictures, experiences are greatly appreciated!
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Build a box out of pine....line it with a 3mm plywood & cover that with white paper/cardboard ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    why not a light tent made out of pvc pipe (3/4 - 1 1/4 OD) and use muslin bed sheets (get mine at salvation army or goodwill or dav etc) and use a set of saw horse with white opaque plexi to sit your objects on to be shot..........

Seems a tent might be easier to work around using either strobes or hot lights.

just my .oooooo1 cent worth
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    I made one about 3' by 3' by 3' using this general design. You can make it any size you like though. Just adjust pipe diameter size up if it starts getting much bigger. I didn't glue all the connections so storage is a snap. The whole thing can be folded up and put away. For light box use I bought a set of cheap white sheets. I think the whole thing was done for under $25. Not sure if would be a good enough quality for what you need.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    I'm figuring I'll need extremely stiff non-glossy paper for the "floor" and background about 48 or maybe 60 inches wide, and then much longer to extend up the back. Where do I find paper like that? And I might need colors other than white.

Any links, hints, pictures, experiences are greatly appreciated!

Art supply stores like Michael's (our area) and teacher supply stores will many times have long rolls of 3' - 4' side paper. Also in colors.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    Good ideas so far. Thanks! thumb.gif Keep 'em coming.

I found an extremely lengthy thread on these last night (at another forum). Might as well be made into a novel it's so long.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Here's mine. It could be made any size really...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=61954
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,916 moderator
    edited August 13, 2007
    David,

It is often better to use a "light tent" for product photography, and position your lights outside possibly using softboxes on the lights to provide double diffusion.

If you have a room with white ceilings and walls available, you can bounce the light into the ceiling and walls for the softest light yet.

Custom light tents can be built to any size using plastic shower curtains or bed sheets. The closer you place the diffusion material, the softer the light, assuming that the light outside the light tent is evenly ditributed across the surface of the diffusion material.

If you do use a solid framework to hold the light tent material, try to suspend the diffusion material away from the frame to eliminate "dark lines" resulting from the shadows of the frame.

Here is a fairly good example of what I am talking about:

http://www.stevesphotoshop.co.uk/product_auction_photography_news.html

If you use a drape in front, either leave slits or cut a port for the lens to peek through. Otherwise, use a large white foam-core board in front of the camera, with a port cut for the lens, to prevent the camera from being visible in reflective pieces.

More inspiration:

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/cjgflatware.htm
    http://mcgoffs.net/?page_id=12
    http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/HL3550/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    David,

It is often better to use a "light tent" for product photography, and position your lights outside possibly using softboxes on the lights to provide double diffusion.

Uhhhh I kinda mentioned that up above there dude but thanx for expounding on the subject thumb.gif .....now my head hurts......rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    camerajimcamerajim Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2007
    Consider Umbrellas. Scrims or Softboxes
    I noticed my ebay photography guides listed as a link above, so I thought I'd comment on this.

A light tent is sort of cumbersome for larger items and is not reallly all that useful for small items unless you are dealing with highly reflective items. In most cases, you're better off using freestanding lights and modifying their output with diffusers or reflectors.

One of the cheapest and easiest ways is to add white shoot-through or reflective umbrellas to a couple of lights. This will give you soft but directional light which you can use with any size object. A small white umbrella can be had for $25 or less. If have lights without umbrella holders, figure on another $15 for each swiveling umbrella holder.

A scrim is nothing more than a frame with diffusion material over it. Someone already suggested making a light tent with PVC tubing and this works well for scrims, too. You could easily construct a couple of very large scrims this way using PVC and cheap white fabric.

Softboxes with either strobes or continuous lights are the most versatile, but the cost will be significantly higher.

Here's another of my ebay guide pages, this time with some basic lighting info...

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/cjglighting.htm
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    Gathering supply list for the smaller of the two light boxes. Reading all your suggestions (+ everything else I can find on the net & now up to page 44 of the above linked thread), pondering, planning, scheming...
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    If push comes to shove, 9'-10 market umbrellas and several work lights/420-s can work wonders. rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    I am re-thinking the ginormous lightbox. Perhaps a continuous backdrop and only 2 very high output (500w each?) quartz/halogen light sources on either side with some type of white stiff diffused panels in front of each. Should work I'd think, and less to construct.

Question: If I want to use high power halogen lighting (~3300ºK) and bounced flash from my 580 off the ceiling (~6000ºK), how do I change (filter) the 580 to equal the halogen lighting? What color would come close to the halogen souces?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    The halogen lights will be approximately 3200 degrees Kelvin. To adjust the 580 to match, you would need approximately an 85B filter.

I think, however, that you'll find it much easier to use one or the other - go with just flash or just halogen (tungsten).
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    Update
    Yes, one or the other - I agree. Just thought it would be a decent addition to use my most expensive light to actually, you know, light up a subject. lol3.gif And it might be acedemic anyway due to the power of the side lighting.

Tonight I went shopping. Came home with (2) 250w/500w halogen work lights from Home Depot - only $14.97 each, and (6) 20-inch x 30-inch white foam boards - $1.38 each at Michael's Crafts, and a small box of those black spring paper clamp things to attach them all together (with corner tabs of painters tape).

The plan is to cut out most of the side panels and replace with white baking paper to allow the now diffused halogen light in. The baking paper is very thin, but has a high flash point - important with those 500w halogens. Yikes they get hot fast! The top panel will have as bright white paper I can find to also bounce light downwards if I decide to also light from below.

I need to find sturdy white (non-shiny) paper in rolls, wider than 24 inches. Would also be nice to find a source for 36-inch wide colored roll paper too. Plenty of the 24-inch stuff around, but if I use the box in landscape orientation, then 24 inches won't be wide enough. I have heard that white butchers paper works well. I might have to go buy some meat somewhere. eek7.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    David - You might as well just buy some photographic background paper. B&H sells a 54" x 12 yard roll of white Savage brand paper for about $20. That would last you a while and be a lot easier to use than skinny and wimpy butcher paper.

As for a cheap Home Depot diffuser panels, have you checked out the fluorescent lighting department? They sell 2x4 foot plastic panels for overhead lights. A couple of frosted panels would work OK.

Lots of ways to skin this diffusion cat.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    camerajim wrote:
    David - You might as well just buy some photographic background paper. B&H sells a 54" x 12 yard roll of white Savage brand paper for about $20. That would last you a while and be a lot easier to use than skinny and wimpy butcher paper.
    As for a cheap Home Depot diffuser panels, have you checked out the fluorescent lighting department? They sell 2x4 foot plastic panels for overhead lights. A couple of frosted panels would work OK.
    Lots of ways to skin this diffusion cat.

OK, Cool! I didn't really want to do a B&H order for, um, paper, if you know what I mean :D , but glad they have it that wide if I can't find anything locally. I was told to look into a teacher's supply store, since they roll that kind of stuff out onto the floor for the little kids to draw on.

Diffuser panels. Yes! that's what I'm looking for, and another trip to Mennards or the Depot will happen again real soon. White would be best (not those prismatic clear'ish ones). I would need to make something to hold them upright in front of the halogen lights — and very sturdy so they don't fall over into the lights :wow . The fire department is right next door (literally), but still...

For the large items, I think all I need is some heavy-duty diffused side wattage and a seamless backdrop. I'll build a small box, but I don't want to get out the pipecutting tools. Simpler is better.

I'll be doing custom WB and also shoot RAW. No matter how much wattage is used, there is always some PP to be done later. I also plan on doing a lot of test shooting before I really jump into this, just so I can figure out the lighting variables and PP work flow.

Once I have the paper backdrops and baking paper, I should have some pictures of the rigging up here.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Hi David, this one was made with just a cardboard box .... Skippy :D

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,916 moderator
    edited August 15, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:

I need to find sturdy white (non-shiny) paper in rolls, wider than 24 inches. Would also be nice to find a source for 36-inch wide colored roll paper too. Plenty of the 24-inch stuff around, but if I use the box in landscape orientation, then 24 inches won't be wide enough. I have heard that white butchers paper works well. I might have to go buy some meat somewhere. eek7.gif

Check out white table cover, like what they use to cover banquet tables. Usually 36-40" wide and cheap enough to throw away when your done or as it gets used.

Shop around as prices vary considerably.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    Ziggy,
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Check out white table cover, like what they use to cover banquet tables. Usually 36-40" wide and cheap enough to throw away when your done or as it gets used.

Shop around as prices vary considerably.

Great advice, thank you! thumb.gif
    They also come in color:-) mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    Progress Report, Part One - Hunting and Gathering
    I gathered the remaining parts together this afternoon. I have yet to construct the thing (that will be next week at the earliest) but here is the pile of basic parts.

186614465-O.jpg
    Light Box Basic Parts List

5) 20" x 30" white foam core boards (6 shown)...... $1.39ea
    2) 250w/500w halogen work lights................... $14.97ea
    2) packages large "bag clips"...................... $1.00ea
    1) asst'd metal binder clips....................... $2.99box
    1) sheet 3/32" single-strength glass, 16" x 12".... $3.52ea
    1) roll white paper, 30" wide x 15 feet long....... $2.19ea
    1) roll black paper, 24" wide x 12 feet long....... $3.45ea
    1) roll painters tape, blue........................ $2.19ea
    1) roll baker's parchment paper, 15" wide, white... $3.59ea
    Total Investment so far...... ~$56.00

The entire light box will break down and set up quickly. The parchment paper is for windows in the side panels to let the light in from the halogens (I wanted wider but only found a 15" wide roll). I plan to clip the panels together via tabs on the corners of the panels with the little black spring clips so I don't damage the panels every time I assemble it. The blue painter's tape is to make the corner tabs.

The thin pane of glass is for reflections from shinier items when necessary. The plan is to lay that below the subject and on top of the paper below. The medium and large white bag clips are for clipping the rolled paper to the back and front of the foam core panels, again, so I don't squeeze damage the foam. I found the white clips at a local dollar-type store called Deals.

For the glass, I shopped an art store (where I finally fount the backdrop paper rolls) and a glass supplier, and they wanted more than twice for scrap 1/8" glass than what I ended up paying at Home Depot for a finished piece. The Painter's tape is also from the Depot, which was 1/2 the price of most everywhere else. I could have used masking tape - I just thought for what might become a tutorial I should use something more colorful.

The parchment paper (from local food store) might withstand the temperatures of the halogens better (I'll still have my fire extinguisher handy). I wish I could have found a wider roll of that. If I do, I could always widen the cutout from the side panels later.

I really wanted to start today, but time didn't allow. The rolled paper has to lay flat and relax for a few days anyway, which is what I also want to do, but it's off to work for the next four days. See you next week!

Next up..... Part Two - The Construction Begins, where I anticipate the question from the spouse "What are you doing with all that on our dining room table?"
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    I gathered the remaining parts together this afternoon. I have yet to construct the thing (that will be next week at the earliest) but here is the pile of basic parts.
    Big Brother is Watching! deal.gif
    Thanks for sharing, Dave! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    Watch those little flood lights you have there...they get hotter than hades.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Watch those little flood lights you have there...they get hotter than hades.

deal.gif
    David_S85 wrote:
    The parchment paper (from local food store) might withstand the temperatures of the halogens better (I'll still have my fire extinguisher handy).

Thanks, Gus. Yes, I have already received a very stern warning at home after I plugged one in and tested it. Hot and bright those things are. nod.gif

But with a last name like mine, the brighter, the better. rolleyes1.gif When I figure out how to shoot the 1-meter wide items, the extra bump up in power will be required.

Both will be connected to a handy power strip with a breaker and kill switch. I don't want them on any more than necessary.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    deal.gif

Yes, I have already received a very stern warning at home after I plugged one in and tested it. Hot and bright those things are. nod.gif

But with a last name like mine, the brighter, the better. rolleyes1.gif When I figure out how to shoot the 1-meter wide items, the extra bump up in power will be required.

Both will be connected to a handy power strip with a breaker and kill switch. I don't want them on any more than necessary.

No worries.Breakers/fuses are only to protect the wiring...not the device. Assuming they are 100 watts globes & yank power being a poofy 110v thats only about 1amp. So no breaker will care about that...it will just happily let something burn away.

Just dont leave the room with them turned on....ever. I use them at night all the time but only on concrete.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    Light Box Project Update
    I had only an hour today to work on the project. Before slicing and dicing the real panels, I first decided to construct a 1/2 scale model out of cardboard to work out the bugs.

For this model I used cheaper masking tape to make the tabs and found the spring clips to slide right off, even with this wimpy lightweight proto-version. I either needed stronger clips (there aren't any) or different tab material. As the painter's tape was much like the masking tape, I had to improvise.

Many people have used hat pins (which eventually destroys the corners) or more expensive velcro straps. Velcro is nice, but with the heat of the lamps on something that has spots of glue, I felt they would work loose and also be expensive, going against the very idea of a cheap ghetto light box.

The answer was dry rice. eek7.gif I made the tabs over again with three kernals of rice grains about 1/4 inch away from the board; the clips can't come off. I happened to use the healthier brown rice variety, but white rice is cheaper lol3.gif

Anyway, here's the model in front of a full-sized white foam core board.

189567975-O.jpg

The rectangular cutouts on each side will have the white parchment paper covering them for the light to shine through. The cutouts are also offset towards the front since the subjects will be closer to the front of the box.

I will eventually need to deal with the box being placed in landscape orientation for wider objects, so the four sides will all have the parchment paper treatment. I am hoping the panels on the final version will remain strong enough when all four sides have the center material missing. If not, I'll need to get a few more panels.

That top front panel wasn't planned. It was left over from cutting one of the rectangular panels square for the ends. As it turns out, the extra stability is a real plus. I'm thinking that it couldn't hurt to bounce extra photons back towards the subject from the front. If I keep it in the final design, I'll probably convert it into an arch.

I was also planning to make the back panel taller somehow, so the backdrop papers could be clamped more easily with the larger white clamps. The next version will allow the top panel to be slid one inch frontwards or somesuch to allow the big clamps easier access at top rear.

Since subjects vary in depth, a bottom "drawer" piece will anchor the backdrop paper and allow it to be pulled forwards or backwards for adjustability of the curve and tension of the backdrop paper.

And she didn't ask what I was doing with the dining room table. Yet.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    David,
    Thank you for sharing! Very interesting and educational. clap.gif
    I only didn't get the dry rice thingie, where/how on earth did you get to use it? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited August 30, 2007
    David, wouldn't speedlites be easier, cooler and safer?

I agree with Gus, those Halogen work lites are a serious fire hazard. I refuse to allow them in my wooden barns.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    David,

I'll pass on what I have learned. Unless your working in a cold garage in the winter, your not gona like the heat! (It can also be seriously dangerous) The light output isn’t as high as you think. The camera will be using fairly low shutter speeds.

Make sure there are no other light sources in the room when you are shooting. Depending on the subject, color etc. this can introduce some strange color casts/ reflections / etc. That are almost impossible to correct in PS.

I have tried halogen shop lights, those cheap metal shop lights with daylight-balanced bulbs. All kinds of light modifying material. A variety of cobbled up attempted solutions, all to less that stellar results.

I damn near pulled all my hair out and beat what little brains I have out against the proverbial brick wall.

My solution was to just break down, and buy a set of strobes with stands and soft boxes.

I cannot tell you how much easier, and better this is!!!!

If it were possible for your budget, I would highly recommend this. If the budget won’t reach, then be prepared for a lot of frustration.

Good luck!

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    David,

I'll pass on what I have learned. Unless your working in a cold garage in the winter, your not gona like the heat! (It can also be seriously dangerous)

Hi Sam. I appreciate the concern. I do know thay aren't too safe up close. The way my work schedule is going, it may well be winter before I get this beast up, and the extra heat will needed. I thought about one or two 430's (or lesser lights) but this project is set up as a ghetto light box project (meaning real real cheap). I will need the higher 500 watt/each output on the larger objects when I get there. Oh, and I might actually use the halogen lighting for other non-photo projects. As I said earlier, the fire extinguisher isn't far away. lol3.gif(we need a fire extinguishing smilie)

Sam wrote:
    David,

Make sure there are no other light sources in the room when you are shooting. Depending on the subject, color etc. this can introduce some strange color casts/ reflections / etc. That are almost impossible to correct in PS.

I have tried halogen shop lights, those cheap metal shop lights with daylight-balanced bulbs. All kinds of light modifying material. A variety of cobbled up attempted solutions, all to less that stellar results.

Agreed. It will be an experiment for me too. And perhaps a challenge - but what's not to like about a challenge? I will be using the RAW images and/or custom WB set for the halogen lighting. These same lights have been used before by other people with good results here in another forum.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    David, wouldn't speedlites be easier, cooler and safer?

YES! They would. nod.gif If you see me in Glacier with bandages on, you'll know what happened.
    My Smugmug