Options

Downloading images to CD/DVD from Mac to PC

firelook2firelook2 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited August 13, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi folks

I have a question that I hope someone on the list can answer. :)

Since I use a Mac now (recently switched), and a couple of my stock agencies use a PC (photo editor said majority of their clients still use PC), will they have trouble reading a CD or DVD that I burn on my Mac? Or can a CD/DVD be read by all computers regardless of the brand? I never really thought about it until I saw a stock agency put "images on CD/DVD must be able to be read by PC based computer system".

Thanks for the help,

Marcy
Firelook2

gear: NIkon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6; Sigma 15-30D f3.5-4.5; Micro-Nikkor 105mm f.2.8; 50mm macro f2.8

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    When you make a CD from the Mac desktop, the default format can be read by PCs. Here is the Apple tech note on it. "Mac OS X burns discs that can also be used on Windows computers and other types of computers."

If you needed to burn in a specific format, you would be able to use the Disk Utility included with Mac OS X, or buy a specialized burning application like Toast.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Toast is great. There are also cheaper alternatives, which may work for you. Check versiontracker.com if you find you need a specialized app.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    firelook2firelook2 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Thanks to both of you for the reply! I do have "Toast" on the Macbook Pro - just hadn't checked it out yet. :)

I had seen the "burn folder" in Applications where you can just drag images into it and the disc burned from that is supposed to be compatible with both Windows based PC and Mac.

Thanks for the help,

Marcy
    Firelook2

gear: NIkon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6; Sigma 15-30D f3.5-4.5; Micro-Nikkor 105mm f.2.8; 50mm macro f2.8