Anyone Have A Shootsac??

2»

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I bought a laptop bag for $20 when i was in the US last time from a dodgy little back street shop...looks very similar to this.

I dont own a laptop but it carrys 5 lenses & other stuff nicely. I think im going to have to pimp it now that ive seen this thread though.
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    stir...stir...stir... :heh No? But I hear all the cool kids are wearing them this year. :D

Seriously though, I agree that the safari vest is not the thing to wear to a wedding shoot. I could swear I saw an example photo on the Kinesis or ThinkTank sites of their modular belt system with a guy wearing a suit as an example wedding setup. Didn't look too bad. Yes, he was obviously a photographer, but didn't look like a hopeless geek. Besides, they're all black, so fit right in. :Ddeal.gif

Now back to picking on the shootsac. It looks to me like that strap would get uncomfortable after a while--it's totally unpadded as far as I can see. Why?

I know a tailor that will make a vest in black with Satin lapels and tails.rolleyes1.gif

I would agree, a vest is not the thing for a wedding shoot. Fortunately for me, I don't do weddings. I hate weddings. I would have prefered to have not shown up for mine. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, I just hate weddings. This is not meant to tick off any of you wedding photographers. I think that you are very couragous to shoot weddings. They are just not for me. rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 17, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I am not sure I understand where the "unsafe" is coming from? I guess I'll wait until I see pictures of the inside to make that call! (TIA Stephenie!)

Looked to me like single layer neoprene wetsuit material and a flop over top. I prefer more padding and a secureable top. Just makes me feel better.
    edited August 17, 2007
    chrisjlee wrote:
    Boda bag is more useful.

Now that is a bag I am going to have to seriously consider.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Now that is a bag I am going to have to seriously consider.

I google imaged that as i do a lot of things to see what they look like...whoooah !! rolleyes1.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I hate weddings. I would have prefered to have not shown up for mine. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife, I just hate weddings. This is not ment to tick off any of you wedding photographers. I think that you are very couragous to shoot wedding. They are just not for me. rolleyes1.gif

i agree with you in a twisted sort of way....

I find weddings to be a lot of fun, in the American culture the one social event we still have at all socioeconomic levels.

That said, I think weddings are completely irrelevant to the institution of marriage. I'd be happy to participate in a zillion more weddings (as a bride, not just a photographer), if only I could not be married the day after. rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    I'd like to see pictures of the inside as well, I bought a few yards of neoprene so I can try and make my own - and I'd like to see how everything is done.

PLEASE?! :D

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Ok sorry for the delay I promise I will post pics (after I get home from my date with dh) yay!!! =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
    edited August 19, 2007
    Ok and here they are...

1177447880_095e9268a5.jpg

1177447892_b51e7db4a3.jpg

1177447930_df43549004.jpg

1177447944_fb01c2d6dd.jpg

1177447966_3c3330f4da.jpg

1177447982_6b53e1d814.jpg

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
    edited August 20, 2007
    Thank You!!!!!!!! :D
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    Thank You!!!!!!!! :D

THANKS STEPHENIE!!! Awesome pics, very helpful. I totally "get" the shootsac logo now! rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited August 20, 2007
    Yay...glad they were helpful :D
    I totally "get" the shootsac logo now!

I didn't get it until about 2 minuts ago...wow how dumb am I rolleyes1.gif

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Hindsight wrote:
    Chuckled at this, so true. Now I've just gotta tell this little story. The first time I geared up with my new shoulder harness rig with the belt pouches etc I felt like such a complete dork. My wife was standing there in the kictchen laughing away and then said quite seriously, "honey. You aren't really going to wear that in the show ring." It wasn't stated as a question if you get my drift. I was being put to the test. Either a) embrace my geekdom and toss fasion aside, or b) worry about how I looked. I decided to embrace the geekdom, but even so I was a little self-conscious at my first shoot with the thing.

Then after about 3 hours of shooting, and having everything I could ever want right there, plus having figured out how to secure the camera strap to the "o" rings on the shoulder harness so the weight of the camera and 80-200 2.8 wasn't on my neck, I was starting to like the thing and fashion be damned. Then some other photogrpaher showed up on the event. Being the offical OP I was keeping one eye on anyone shooting from the rails, but so far the only people there were point and shooters, and the occasional consumer SLR/lense user. But this guy.. this person had a harness with every belt container, 2 pro bodies with a long pro lense and a medium pro lense both with hoods and basically looked like he was ready to go to war.

I was like.. "gulp." I stared at him.. he stared at me. He outgeared me by at least 3x. It was showdown at high noon -at the Estes Park corral. *queue pale rider music* Anyway.. not to be anti-climatic, but he wandered away and I never saw him again during the show. BUT- since that day I've been completely transformed as to my perception of what it is to appear like a camera geek. He was just badass with all his dorky pouches. I felt like I'd brought a knife to a gunfight.

Okay I'll shut up now, I've got work piling up here.

rolleyes1.gif Great story. I have embraced my geekdom (had to, being a computer geek from the very beginning, then adding photography to it. rolleyes1.gif). So, I care more for functionality than appearance. The nice thing is at many events I shoot I have a shooting buddy with the same attitude. We don't care so much about appearances as we've let our images do the talking. So when we two geeks with all the dorky big bags full of big lenses show up, all the belly dancers instead of giving us the "who are those dorks?" looks now get all excited knowing excellent images of their performances will ensue. :stud :D We do, however, get the "what in the %*%$ do those nerds have that I don't?" looks from all the other guys at the after-show outings. mwink.gif

That Boda bag looks like a better solution. Less stylish, more functional. It is nice that we have all these choices. Oh, and I've managed to sell my sife on the concept of adding a ThinkTank/Kinesis setup to my collection. :D
    edited October 23, 2007
    This is me, extremely excited:

selfandgear-3.jpg

about:

selfandgear-4.jpg

!!!!!!

and this is me with it on, taking the picture with my NEW 5D!!!!!!!: (and yes, I love the cold weather, and am so excited about it, because I can wear coats!!!!!!)

selfandgear-2.jpg
    ignore the fact that it was taken in my bathroom...haha, there was no one else home to take the picture. haha. :)

And here is the rest of the stuff I've started collecting for weddings....and it all fits GREAT in my Shootsac :)

selfandgear-3-2copy.jpg

I've really fallen in love with this bag - it's so light and I love the look of it! It's really easy just to switch the lenses in and out and I just keep them in order in the bag, and I pretty much grab them blindly....It's a great bag, and for someone who just wants one to try, I think you should go for it and I bet you'll love it. It's not a CAMERA bag....you need a separate bag for that...this is just something to keep your lenses and flashes, etc. handy while you're in the middle of shooting. makes photoshoots go by faster and makes weddings much more enjoyable and you NEVER miss a shot! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4