Summertime Blues

theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
edited August 14, 2007 in People
So I took my little boy to the lake the other day and on the way back to the car we ran across this guy fishing. It was probably close to 100 degrees out this day and I think he had been out in the sun just a little too long. Anyway, his pose grabbed my attention and I took his picture.

I am posting it here because I am looking for some c&c on my post work. I have a hard time with it and the suggestions I have gotten on this forum so far have been very helpful. I am posting the before and after, please don't hold back.

Oh yeah, I'm still trying to get my wife to budge on the whole D-SLR thing so this was taken with my Sony H5 which does not have a RAW format. :(

DSC04313.jpg

DSC04313copy.jpg
Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"

Comments

• pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    I like the crop, but the saturation is painful. I would pull it back at least
    30%. You also seem to have blurred part of the foreground, which may or
    may not have been a good idea, however, in doing so you did something
    freaky with his left leg. Part of it is sharp, part of it is blurred. Weird. You could
    also try cloning out the glare on his head.
  • theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Thanks, I kinda knew that the saturation was bad.....I was trying to make the water more blue and turned up the contrast a little too much. I actually didn't have a saturation layer, it was a combination of selective color and contrast. I tried to tone it down a little bit and fix the blur on the lower half of his leg but I don't know how successful I was ne_nau.gif Here is the result. Once again, don't hold back....I'm horrible at pp and need to get better so anything you can throw at me would be appreciated. Thanks again!

DSC04313copy3.jpg
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
  • wannabe1979wannabe1979 Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Is this man even alive. You could have been trying to give him CPR or something rather than taking his picture. :D

I liked the original pic with just a crop just fine. I don't think that there is much to PS. But that is my opinion. I suck at PS too. Been meaning to post a thread on PhotoShop CS2 books out there. Maybe, I'll do that now.

Thanks, Shane. Keep pluggin' Amber on the D_SLR.
    Larry :rofl
    www.hallphotography.smugmug.com

Tool Box:
    Canon Digital ReBeL XTi (40d on order)
    85mm f1.8, EF-75-300mm f1:4-5.6, 28-55 f3.5