Some small bugs in the grass

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited August 27, 2007 in Holy Macro
Size range 2.5 to 4.0 mm, all found when I was down on my hand and knees doing dewdrop shots.

brian V

Click on Pics for larger size

1112698184_7651a522bd.jpg

1112698420_e52d549a2e.jpg

1112698532_242371ab13.jpg

1112698544_d79c3e5f35.jpg

1112698558_9c4b83f58a.jpg

1112698564_578e6cf346.jpg

1112753340_f40764e189.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Size range 2.5 to 4.0 mm, all found when I was down on my hand and knees doing dewdrop shots.

brian V

Click on Pics for larger size

Hmmmmmmmm again I ask ....... is it September yet rolleyes1.gif

Ohhhhhhh tease away my friend.. your tiny little creatures look great.
    Hope I can find something show worthy to shoot and show you soon.

Was that little Fly alive or already dead caught in the web?

Great Series yet again from you Brian clap.gif
    Thanks for sharing ....... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmm again I ask ....... is it September yet rolleyes1.gif

Ohhhhhhh tease away my friend.. your tiny little creatures look great.
    Hope I can find something show worthy to shoot and show you soon.

Was that little Fly alive or already dead caught in the web?

Great Series yet again from you Brian clap.gif
    Thanks for sharing ....... Skippy :D

Thanks skippy :)

The little fly was alive - I thought at first it was just roosting - some small flies do use the non sticky outer strands of a spiders web for that, but when I saw the shot on my monitor, decided it's rear legs looked too stuck for that.
    Nearly September- not long to go.

Brian V.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Amazing, amazing, amazing! You must have quite a rich garden to get consistently beautiful backdrops for any angle of bug shots. I love the range of colors.

Speaking of colors, that nearly-clear spider fascinates me. Fancy taking on the hues of everything around you! Is that normal for that species or is it some kind of baby-version?
    edited August 14, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Amazing, amazing, amazing! You must have quite a rich garden to get consistently beautiful backdrops for any angle of bug shots. I love the range of colors.

Speaking of colors, that nearly-clear spider fascinates me. Fancy taking on the hues of everything around you! Is that normal for that species or is it some kind of baby-version?
    Thanks for the kind comments :)
    Not quite as amazing as you think- I put the flower behind the bugs myself - hangover from doing dewdrop refraction shots using the same technique :)

Brian V.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Beautiful color was wondering how you did it thumb.gif

Fred
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 14, 2007
    Thanks for the kind comments :)
    Not quite as amazing as you think- I put the flower behind the bugs myself - hangover from doing dewdrop refraction shots using the same technique :)

Brian V.

The Ethics Committee meeting will be called soon, I am sure!!:D:D

(Some landscape shooters refuse to even move trash out of their scene, for fear of being accused of altering the shot.)

Very nice series, Brian, and the use of the gardener's perogative ( moving the foliage around ) makes a great deal of sense.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 14, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    Beautiful color was wondering how you did it thumb.gif

Fred

Thanks fred :)
    Brian V.
    edited August 14, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    The Ethics Committee meeting will be called soon, I am sure!!:D:D

(Some landscape shooters refuse to even move trash out of their scene, for fear of being accused of altering the shot.)

Very nice series, Brian, and the use of the gardener's perogative ( moving the foliage around ) makes a great deal of sense.

:D:D Thanks for looking and commenting

Fraid I'm not puritanical when it comes to photography apart from not harming the bugs in any way that I'm shooting.
    Makes the shot harder- bugs don't tend to like flowers being stuck behind them- they tend to fly off. Just seemed a logical extension of the dewdrop refractions especially as that was what I was doing at the time.
    Brian V.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Wow brian loved them very lovely compositions and colors clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Super series Brian - the oof flower really makes them work. Interesting the spiders legs picking up the reflection from the flower.
    edited August 15, 2007
    Thanks Awais and Al for looking and commenting :)- much appreciated.

Al- yes the OOF flower does make an interesting background but not always easy to get it behind the bug without spooking it. Don't think I'm going to walk around with a flower on a telescopic pole for more normal macro shots... yet mwink.gif:D

brian V.
  • riz_satriz_sat Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    beautiful work :Dclap.gif
    and nice colours
  • SylarSylar Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Bugs
    Hey brian..
    All photos are perfect one question, can you post one picture from camera to forum without PS, and this pictures do you use PS. My question is because i pay one this lense too MP-E and lovely see teh image directly from camera coz this colors is amazing.....clap.gif
    Muhammad Almeida
    Canon 1D MKIII|Canon 5D MKII | Canon 16-35 2.8|Canon 85m 1.2 L II | Canon MP-E 2.8| Canon 70-200 2.8|Canon 100 F2.8 L IS | Canon 300m 2.8 L IS |Canon Tc 2x II | Canon TC 1.4 X | MT24X
    Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/phr3ck
    Website - www.wildlifeshot.com
  • PhilHPhilH Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Super shots Brian thumb.gif

You always manage to get so much detail in the eye, do you use flash for every shot?
    edited August 23, 2007
    riz_sat wrote:
    beautiful work :Dclap.gif
    and nice colours
    Thanks Riz :)- glad you liked them

Brian V.
    edited August 23, 2007
    Sylar wrote:
    Hey brian..
    All photos are perfect one question, can you post one picture from camera to forum without PS, and this pictures do you use PS. My question is because i pay one this lense too MP-E and lovely see teh image directly from camera coz this colors is amazing.....clap.gif
    Thanks Sylar :)
    I normally do very little PS work apart from where I have focus stacked images. Standard PS work is levels correction if needed- mild de-noise and a USM sharpen.
    Pic below is straight after RAW conversion with no PS work. It's one of the pics used in the focus stack. Whoops just noticed this is not one of the pics used in this thread (sorry I used it in another thread) but I'm sure you get the idea- I certainly don't tend to play with colour during PS work.

Brian V.

186944916-L.jpg
    edited August 23, 2007
    PhilH wrote:
    Super shots Brian thumb.gif

You always manage to get so much detail in the eye, do you use flash for every shot?

Thanks Phil, :)
    All these shots are using flash but I don't always use flash.
    For detail in fly's eyes you need to be shooting around 1.5:1 or higher, use apertures around F8-F11 and use flash. As far as I can work out flash helps bring the detail out by giving higher contrast on the detail edges. I've tried shots under similar conditions using natural light and eye detail is not so good due partially to the use of higher ISO but mainly because I tend to shoot natural light shots under hazy conditions which give a lower contrast (the reason I like them). You can get reasonable detail in bright sun but you then tend to get those awful hexagon shapes of brightness on the flies eyes.

Brian V.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Another awesome set of sharp images! I also positively love the colors captured in the backgrounds. thumb.gif
    Michael
    edited August 23, 2007
    wow
    Brian amazing without PS is pretty cool too... i know but i think better after see all your shot make a difusor like yours, coz i will pay the ring flash but your result is so perfect
    Muhammad Almeida
    Canon 1D MKIII|Canon 5D MKII | Canon 16-35 2.8|Canon 85m 1.2 L II | Canon MP-E 2.8| Canon 70-200 2.8|Canon 100 F2.8 L IS | Canon 300m 2.8 L IS |Canon Tc 2x II | Canon TC 1.4 X | MT24X
    edited August 24, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    Another awesome set of sharp images! I also positively love the colors captured in the backgrounds. thumb.gif

Thanks Daddyo :)
    The BG flower does give an interesting effect :)
    Brian V.
    edited August 24, 2007
    Sylar wrote:
    Brian amazing without PS is pretty cool too... i know but i think better after see all your shot make a difusor like yours, coz i will pay the ring flash but your result is so perfect

Worth trying first but remember you do need an off camera cord and a flash bracket that allows you to keep the head of the diffuser near the end of the lens :)
    Brian V.
    edited August 24, 2007
    thanks
    Okay my friend thanks for your help...

bowdown.gif
    Muhammad Almeida
  • banjonbanjon Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Love the detail and the back drops really are nice. They really add punch. When I'm doing macros out and about, I try to work something into the background. It usually gives it a sense of smallness I guess.

Nice job. :)

Rich
    edited August 27, 2007
    banjon wrote:
    Love the detail and the back drops really are nice. They really add punch. When I'm doing macros out and about, I try to work something into the background. It usually gives it a sense of smallness I guess.

Nice job. :)

Rich

Thanks Rich :)
    Tend to only do this when I'm doing dewdrop flower refraction shots (have the flowers to hand).
    Brian V.