Do you resize photos b4 uploading?

jonnypbjonnypb Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited August 14, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm about to upload a ton of photos onto my website but before I do it I wondered what the best practice was. Do people upload the original image or do you resize them to a smaller size to say something like 800px along the longest side?

Thanks

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 14, 2007
    jonnypb wrote:
    I'm about to upload a ton of photos onto my website but before I do it I wondered what the best practice was. Do people upload the original image or do you resize them to a smaller size to say something like 800px along the longest side?

Thanks

Hi :)

We don't touch your original resolution image. What we do is to make several sizes from it, leaving the original intact. So, once it is uploaded, from it, we make a large, medium, small and thumbnail size. But, your original remains the same.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • jonnypbjonnypb Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Barb wrote:
    Hi :)

We don't touch your original resolution image. What we do is to make several sizes from it, leaving the original intact. So, once it is uploaded, from it, we make a large, medium, small and thumbnail size. But, your original remains the same.

Thanks for the reply, it's recommended then just to upload the original image

Are we then able to choose what size is displayed in our gallery when a user clicks on an image? Is there a global setting for this or is it a per gallery setting?

cheers
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 14, 2007
    jonnypb wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, it's recommended then just to upload the original image

Are we then able to choose what size is displayed in our gallery when a user clicks on an image? Is there a global setting for this or is it a per gallery setting?

cheers

All of our accounts allow you to disable the viewing of the original size image. Pro accounts can also disable the viewing of the larges. This is on a per gallery basis.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign