Nikon

Senior GuySenior Guy Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 17, 2007 in Cameras
If you owned a Nikon D-50 and D-80 and due to a friends's circumstances, you agreed to shoot his wedding after carefully explaining all the pitfalls and potholes, what two lenses would you attach to the above mentioned bodies? If I do not have them I will attempt to rent for a minimum period.

The wedding will be in an older catholic church and NO flashes are allowed. Also, the photographers are not permitted to be closer than the seated guests. It will then move outdoors to a garden setting, and conclude in a fire hall with minimal lighting. All to take place between noon and 6 pm.

Thank you in advance for your advise and opinions.

Senior Guy

Comments

• ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Senior Guy wrote:
    If you owned a Nikon D-50 and D-80 and due to a friends's circumstances, you agreed to shoot his wedding after carefully explaining all the pitfalls and potholes, what two lenses would you attach to the above mentioned bodies? If I do not have them I will attempt to rent for a minimum period.

The wedding will be in an older catholic church and NO flashes are allowed. Also, the photographers are not permitted to be closer than the seated guests. It will then move outdoors to a garden setting, and conclude in a fire hall with minimal lighting. All to take place between noon and 6 pm.

Thank you in advance for your advise and opinions.

Senior Guy

17-35 f2.8
    70-200 f2.8 Ai

Hands down.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 14, 2007
    Sizam wrote:
    17-35 f2.8
    70-200 f2.8 Ai

Hands down.

I pretty much agree (especially regarding the ranges). Some options follow:

If you can swing the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor ED-IF, it might work better for the slow shutter speeds you'll encounter during the ceremony.

The 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom-Nikkor is an "economical" alternative.

Also the Nikon 17mm - 55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX is used as a wedding lens by a fair number of folks.

If you can only bring 2 lenses, then either of the wide zooms Sizam or I suggested should do for the wide side and either of the tele-zooms should do as well.

I also suggest the Nikon 50mm f/1.4D for "really" lowlight situations, and the Nikon 12mm - 24mm f/4.0G ED-IF DX would be awfully fun for capturing the "Vista Grande" (grand view).

You might also want something with close focus or macro for the ring work etc. A close focus auxilliary lens or a good quality digicam can suffice.

You will probably be able to use flash after the ceremony, and certainly for the reception, so bring at least one flash with at least a bounce card, but more flashes allow you more opportunities (if you know when and how to use them).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Yea, What ziggy said, I ment the VR versions and I ment the 17-55 not 17-35, a Nikon friend of mine had the 17-55 and its an amazing lens. Also totally agree that you should bring along a 50mm f1.4 for super low light.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 14, 2007
    Senior Guy wrote:
    ... due to a friends's circumstances, you agreed to shoot his wedding after carefully explaining all the pitfalls and potholes, ...

Senior Guy

Do put into writing what you intend to do and what you expect in return and what you regard is a reasonable limit to your liability, and get that signed by the other parties. Without a written agreement you rely on memory and opinion, and if things don't work out perfectly memory and opinion can come back to haunt you.

The best of intentions and such don't matter if "anything" goes wrong.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Senior GuySenior Guy Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Nikon
    Thank you for your response. Having a contract signed was accomplished.

ziggy53 wrote:
    Do put into writing what you intend to do and what you expect in return and what you regard is a reasonable limit to your liability, and get that signed by the other parties. Without a written agreement you rely on memory and opinion, and if things don't work out perfectly memory and opinion can come back to haunt you.

The best of intentions and such don't matter if "anything" goes wrong.
    edited August 14, 2007
    Nikon
    Sam,

Thank you. I have Nikon's 70-200mm f2.8G IF-Ed VR. A remarkable lens. However, the Nikon 17-55 must be amazing because it is not available through the places that rent. The 50mm f1.4 shouldn't be a problem.

Sizam wrote:
    Yea, What ziggy said, I ment the VR versions and I ment the 17-55 not 17-35, a Nikon friend of mine had the 17-55 and its an amazing lens. Also totally agree that you should bring along a 50mm f1.4 for super low light.

Sam
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    if you're hard-pressed to find the nikkor, or don't want to spend the $$$$ on it, i highly recommend the tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 as an alternative. it pretty much stays on one of my camera bodies all the time and i shoot a wedding almost every weekend. it's sharp, has very low barrel distortion wide open, and is about 1/3 the price. it doesn't focus blisteringly fast and doesn't have SWM, but you'll find no complaints from me.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
    edited August 17, 2007
    Nikon
    Thank you. It could be the answer.

dangin wrote:
    if you're hard-pressed to find the nikkor, or don't want to spend the $$$$ on it, i highly recommend the tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 as an alternative. it pretty much stays on one of my camera bodies all the time and i shoot a wedding almost every weekend. it's sharp, has very low barrel distortion wide open, and is about 1/3 the price. it doesn't focus blisteringly fast and doesn't have SWM, but you'll find no complaints from me.