Options

Dust, rust and spill (take two)

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited August 16, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Revisted a previous haunt. As in the last 20-30 years, nothing has changed! It's amazing that for a place built in the early 1930s so much of it is the same. (In this country, this is extremely rare)

I got there extremely early in the morning and was rewarded by beautiful god beams left and right. In as little as two hours, rooms that were once magical had turned flat and dull. Ah, photography!

Particulates
183678093-M-1.jpg

Divided by light
183216708-L-1.jpg

Benchmark
183678846-M-1.jpg

Triptych (currently up for smacks at the Whipping Post :wink)
183684250-M.jpg

Walk the plank!
183677615-L-1.jpg

Les petits soldats, redux
183678416-M-1.jpg

In the workshop
183217525-L-1.jpg

Feedback welcome. I'm always looking to find new ways to approach an old building...

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Wonderful photos as always
    btw have you ever tried processing of image like B&w but it has little colors
    headscratch.gif it is little different from selective coloring headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Revisted a previous haunt. As in the last 20-30 years, nothing has changed! It's amazing that for a place built in the early 1930s so much of it is the same. (In this country, this is extremely rare)

I got there extremely early in the morning and was rewarded by beautiful god beams left and right. In as little as two hours, rooms that were once magical had turned flat and dull. Ah, photography!

Particulates
    Divided by light
    Benchmark
    Triptych (currently up for smacks at the Whipping Post mwink.gif)
    Walk the plank!
    Les petits soldats, redux
    In the workshop
    Feedback welcome. I'm always looking to find new ways to approach an old building...

Hey there Schmooo, I love that first shot with the sun rays so visibly shown thumb.gif

The boots lined up on the shelf is my next favourite.

The use of B&W in many adventures is beautifully done clap.gif

Thanks for sharing your new adventure Schmooo thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Yay! More Schmooo shots! This so made my morning.

I have to agree that #1 is the most stunning for me. As you said, "magical." clap.gif

The Benchmark shot really appeals to me. I love lines and contours, and this one is so sharp. I love the conversion. Maybe having been a couple inches lower would pull me into the frame more quickly. Just maybe, though.

For the same reasons, I like the plank, but I wish that front left corner weren't cut off.

(I'll go help whip the triptych in that other place. mwink.gif)

I really like the boots--composition is great. thumb.gif I find myself wishing that front boot had a little more contrast so where it meets the bench isn't quite so lost in shadow.

As always, very nice work. :D
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Wow! These are great! My favs are #1, the triptych, and the boots.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    Wonderful photos as always
    btw have you ever tried processing of image like B&w but it has little colors
    headscratch.gif it is little different from selective coloring headscratch.gif

Thanks Awais! Hmm, do you mean b/w with toning? That is generally what I do with my b/w shots, though sometimes I am not sure if I do too little or too much. Is that what you mean?

On my monitor at home they have the perfect amount, but when I see these at work they just look like plain black/white.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Schmooo, I love that first shot with the sun rays so visibly shown thumb.gif

The boots lined up on the shelf is my next favourite.

The use of B&W in many adventures is beautifully done clap.gif

Thanks for sharing your new adventure Schmooo thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Thanks again, Skippy! I swear I take photos of other things too... cats, dogs, flowers, etc. :D

(just not recently)

Lately I've had some people really laying into me about putting all of these in black and white, but I have so much trouble balancing colors when everything is rusty.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Yay! More Schmooo shots! This so made my morning.

I have to agree that #1 is the most stunning for me. As you said, "magical." clap.gif

The Benchmark shot really appeals to me. I love lines and contours, and this one is so sharp. I love the conversion. Maybe having been a couple inches lower would pull me into the frame more quickly. Just maybe, though.

For the same reasons, I like the plank, but I wish that front left corner weren't cut off.

(I'll go help whip the triptych in that other place. mwink.gif)

I really like the boots--composition is great. thumb.gif I find myself wishing that front boot had a little more contrast so where it meets the bench isn't quite so lost in shadow.

As always, very nice work. :D
    Thanks so much for your critiques, K! I agree... when I saw that the left corner of the plank was cut off I was really pissed. But whaddya gonna do after you get home and it's too late?

I also see what you mean now about the boots. But in my eyes I thought the back ones near the sunlight had more problems disappearing into the background :D In your opinion is the shadow underneath the front one not quite enough?

Your comment about the bench is interesting because when I was setting up to take the first shot of it, I was practically sitting on the ground. I thought the plants of the benches were a little too foreshortened and decided to raise the tripod a little. But you raise a good point about perhaps the shot is a little bottom-heavy.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    Wow! These are great! My favs are #1, the triptych, and the boots.

Thanks tlee!

(Whee I've started hitting a different "Reply" button this time around :D )
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Great stuff Schmoo! I'm pretty much in agreement with the God beams, the boots, and the triptych being my favs. I do like the plank shot, too.....I'll check out the WP later! thumb.gif :t
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    Thanks so much for your critiques, K! I agree... when I saw that the left corner of the plank was cut off I was really pissed. But whaddya gonna do after you get home and it's too late?

Clone! rolleyes1.gif
    schmooo wrote:
    I also see what you mean now about the boots. But in my eyes I thought the back ones near the sunlight had more problems disappearing into the background :D In your opinion is the shadow underneath the front one not quite enough?

Mm, it's not that. The way the light is, the boots in the background are so nice, bright, and crisp (at least on my monitor). So much so, that I look at them first instead of the much more interesting boot in the foreground. headscratch.gif I find myself wanting that foreground, toppled boot to be a little brighter and a little sharper so it forces me to look at it first. It's where I want my eye to go, but I have to force myself to look away from the background boots.

...I'm hoping that makes sense. eek7.gif