Self portrait - CC please!

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited August 15, 2007 in People
Okay, so some of you may know that I started a self portrait a day project because I saw how amazing DancinKate's was.... It's definitely been a struggle doing it at time. Trying to get something interesting. Sometimes I think I do, and sometimes I'm way off the mark. Sometimes I have a specific thing in mind, sometimes it just comes to me.

But lately my creativity is waning most of the time - so, at least for today, I set myself a challenge. Do a good photo of me in B&W - or rather, make sure the B&W is good.

So I'd love to get some feedback. I obviously didn't PS out my... um... age spots (there! I said it in public!), but I want the CC more about composition and conversion. Less about how old I'm getting. LOL!

183996460-L.jpg

Please feel free to be honest! I'm not posting this here for giggles, I would really like to improve my B&W photos.

Oh, this is all natural light coming from a window in front of me. Camera is slightly above me to the left (obviously).

Thanks so much!

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Andi,

I'm certainly no B&W expert...I think your conversions are stunning! I don't often see straight B&W from you...usually has some warm tones or sepia added (I think?).
    I like the natural light here, and I like how contrasty it is. I do find this to be striking. For some reason, I'm drawn to your neck though, so I think I'm having a bit of trouble lovin' the composition. There are not many gray tones, so your neck seems to be coming out of nowhere...disembodied head. And I think I'd like to see more of the texture of your hair. I sound like I'm saying, "Show me more middle tones but keep it contrasty!" Honestly, I think I'd like it better, as the tones are, if your head/neck position were different and the angles and crop were a bit different. Not sure what exactly to tell you regarding that, but just throwing out my gut response!
    I do find it interesting...the closed eyes make me consider what you're thinking and feeling (perhaps the closed eyes make it easier for my eyes to wander around the photo a bit...not locking on to a sure focal point?).

That's my two cents!!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Elaine! Thanks so much for your feedback. I was starting to wonder if my goofy mug scared people... Laughing.gif!

I did a little lightening and I think you're right - I think it is a stronger photo. I was going for very contrasty, but didn't notice that. Hopefully it's not so creepy in a head-cut off way. Does this look better to you? Do you have more comments on it?

184184030-L.jpg

My other comment is that I think the DOF is a bit too shallow. I was taking photos from another direction and didn't reset my aperture.

But I just wonder now if the background is a little distracting - or if it helps ground the photo. This is a very make-shift backdrop as I don't have a real one and you can see the wrinkles in it...

Anyway, any other CC would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again, Elaine!
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    I looked at this photo last night and was simply blown away by the beauty of it, and the rawness of an emotion I can't quite put my finger on. but I wanted to wait to comment until I had more time to look at it thoughtfully. (aka, when I'm stuck in an office and my two year old isn't trying to climb up the bookcase.)

I am really drawn to the contrast in #1, in particular, the delicate shadow curving along your cheek. It is all but gone in the 2nd shot.

I think the DOF is great.

I like the bit more light in your hair, but agree that it's not quite worth the brighter background. I almost wonder if you should go more extreme, and dodge the neck and background, keep original face contrast, but burn the hair a bit. I'm not helping, am I?
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    I'm just a drama queen when it comes to portraits! I do like very contrasty, low-light, lots of shadows, etc. (you get the picture? mwink.gif ) However...I do agree with Elaine about the floating head feel to the first shot. I like seeing that little bit of detail in your clothing in the second shot, but (like Lynne) still yearn for the drama of the first. Somewhere in the middle perhaps? It's a neat shot and worth playing with. I would like to see more shadowing in your face (and it has nothing to do with age!!!). :D
    edited August 15, 2007
    Yep, I like seeing more detail in your shirt and hair, but I like more shadow on your face (more drama) and I think I like the background darker too. So, my opinion would be somewhere in the middle, but maybe just a tad closer to the original. mwink.gif I think the DOF is fine, but I imagine that a little more would be good as well...it would possibly put more detail/texture in your hair and on that side of the picture.

No matter what, I think it's a very fine portrait!
    Elaine

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Elaine wrote:

No matter what, I think it's a very fine portrait!

15524779-Ti.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited August 15, 2007
    Okay! Thanks SO much...

Lynne, thanks for the feedback! I tried in this one to use LR to do all my processing (that's called too lazy to PS a photo, but keeping it in mind for clients). I darkened the background, but lightened the shirt a little.

As for the hair, this is actually the way I intended it - whether it's good or bad is debateable, though. (In the original, there is more detail there.....) I'd love to hear what you think about this.

Susan, I go back and forth on contrast! I used to be uber-uncontrasty and now I tend towards contrasty and I'm *really* enjoying playing with it more! Does this edit help a little? Honestly, I'm trying to avoid PSing it mainly because it's not going to do anything but sit in my Self Portrait gallery, but I am LOVING the feedback for the future!

Thanks so much, Elaine! Thoughts on this one?

184253419-L.jpg

Thanks again, all! (And why does LR insist on doign that stupid watermark in the lower left. UGH! And why do I keep missing it?!?)
    edited August 15, 2007
    That's the winner for me! clap.gif:D
    Elaine

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Perfect!!!! You got it!!! (Now hang it!!!) thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    edited August 15, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Perfect!!!! You got it!!! (Now hang it!!!) thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

As if!!! :D

Thank you!

And thank you, Elaine!