Options

Thoughts On Great Opportunity

stefebstefeb Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited August 16, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I'll try to be brief:
1. We are seasonal campers (RV, etc.)
2. I have been taking pictures of charitable events at campsite and have become known as the unofficial camp photographer.
3. Have posted pictures on my site, and have had sales.
5. Got an email from the activities director.
6. They want to run an ad, for me for the rest of the camping season (from now till November), in the weekly "What's Happening" camp newsletter, which states all the events for the weekend.
7. The gist of the ad would tell campers to visit my site after their weekend and purchase pictures, if they like. The actual wording of the ad is great, by the way.
8. Their are no restrictions on how I can price, or what I can shoot.
9. I will be deemed the "Official" camp photographer, so my name and website will be presented to tons of people each week. Free, quality advertising, which could lead to more photo jobs.
10. The pictures I have taken thus far, are nothing to write home about. They are mainly documentary style pictures. Not much opportunity to get creative, although I've tried.
11. The corporation that owns the campground would also like to use my pictures on their website.

The only question I have is the corporate pricing. Should I charge at all, considering all the advertising the campground is doing for me?

I can't see any downsides to this arrangement, but I'd be glad to hear of something I may have missed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    I give a few photos to the venue's I shoot at. They place the photos on their website with my name/weblink below it. There are multiple photographers that visit some of these venues and I've had great name recognition in part because my photos on their website. Its a win win for both of us... I get more sales and free ad space with them and their shows status gets bumped up because they have a photographers with big white lenses covering the event. Thats my feelings about it. Could you charge?? Absolutely, but expect to start paying for ad space!!

I'm even surprised sometimes when we are not even at a horse show talking to a horse person... and they either recognize me/penny or mention my business.
  • Options
    S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Possible: get a discount on your camping slot.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    I give a few photos to the venue's I shoot at. They place the photos on their website with my name/weblink below it. There are multiple photographers that visit some of these venues and I've had great name recognition in part because my photos on their website. Its a win win for both of us... I get more sales and free ad space with them and their shows status gets bumped up because they have a photographers with big white lenses covering the event. Thats my feelings about it. Could you charge?? Absolutely, but expect to start paying for ad space!!

I'm even surprised sometimes when we are not even at a horse show talking to a horse person... and they either recognize me/penny or mention my business.

I think the name recognition is worth a great deal, and it is free advertising.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:
    Possible: get a discount on your camping slot.
    Hadn't thought of that angle. Worth considering. Thank you.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    i'd work out a formal agreement w/ the place so that there's no copyright or usage issues. if it's a public (DNR) park, there may be some issues with them listing you as an "official photographer" of the campground without either employing you (in which case, they'd collect the money and pay you a cut) or having you as an independent contractor of some sort (you pay them a portion of proceeds). if it's a private campground, it really doesn't matter.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto