s9600 - Fuji

Dipti MathurDipti Mathur Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 20, 2007 in Cameras
Folks,

My husband recently bought a brand new house for me as a surprise on our 3rd wedding anniversary and I was dismayed by the fact that I did'nt have a nice professional camera to capture that moment.

Luckily he got 1000 pounds vouchers for PC world for buying this place and I got myself a S9600 Fuji camera (the only one available at the store). I have always been interested in photography but never got around to try it seriously.

Now that I have this camera, can someone please advise did I make the right choice for clicking professional photographs. Apparently the lenses are 28-300mm range. Does this mean that I don't need any other lense cause this is good enough.

Finally I hope I have posted my message in the right forum !:dunno

Thanks,
Dipti.

Comments

• VizhonVizhon Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Apparently the lenses are 28-300mm range. Does this mean that I don't need any other lense cause this is good enough.

Uhm, no, not quite. What it means is that that is the only lens you can use on the camera because it is not changible. The Finepix S9600, despite looking a bit like a dSLR is not.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Hi madam it depends on your requirements are you looking for camera to shoot relatives photos professionally or you are going to be full time professional?
    I think 28mm is nice as you can shoot groups and helpful in tight spaces and it has hot shoe so you can add flash to bounce. I would have stick to this camera if I was shooting for relatives.

Btw I thought only my mom asks for opinion after doing shopping !:D
    i hope you will share some photos :ivar
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 15, 2007
    ..., can someone please advise did I make the right choice for clicking professional photographs. Apparently the lenses are 28-300mm range. Does this mean that I don't need any other lense cause this is good enough.

Welcome to DGrin and congratulations on your Wedding Anniversary.

If you are asking, "Is this a camera a working professional photographer would choose as a primary camera?", the answer would probably be "no".

This is an above average digicam (known in the US as the FinePix S9100), with some very nice features like a hot shoe, (so you could add an external flash or flash trigger), RAW files capability, a very expansive and capable zoom (with a very nice close-focus capability) and fairly impressive shooting performance.

This is very well rounded digicam that should give you years of pleasure, and it may lead you into a field of photography including the more versatile dSLRs with multiple lenses and more exhaustive lists of accessories.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Dipti MathurDipti Mathur Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 16, 2007
    Finepix S9600
    Lol, I wish I could have asked for the advice earlier, I thought I will be able to blow the vouchers one by one but it turned out that we have to spend it all in one day! I had no choice but to pick what was there in the store.

I don't think I will be a professional cause truly speaking I don't know much about photography. Having said that I would like to be that one day cause I seem to develop a lot of interest in this.

It is so dissapointing to know that I won't be able to change the lenses on this. I thought may be I won't need to as some of the lenses are 200mm and mine goes upto 300mm. Anyways ofcourse there was a catch to this -the pictures may not be as good then.

Will definately post some photos here to show what I have ended up with :D
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I don't think I will be a professional cause truly speaking I don't know much about photography. Having said that I would like to be that one day cause I seem to develop a lot of interest in this.
    Many shooters started where you are now and grew into dSLRs. So just keep clicking away, learn more and move up the digi food-chain. Who knows... you may own a PRO (semi-PRO) digital body one day. Often, good things take time...
  • MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007

It is so dissapointing to know that I won't be able to change the lenses on this. I thought may be I won't need to as some of the lenses are 200mm and mine goes upto 300mm. Anyways ofcourse there was a catch to this -the pictures may not be as good then.

Will definately post some photos here to show what I have ended up with :D

Don't be too disappointed. I have the 9500 (the predecessor to the 9600) and love it. It's a very versatile camera. IMHO image quality is on a par with most of the lower end DSLRs (if you keep the ISO low). My only criticism is that it is not quiet quick enough any more.

I have just sold my Canon 350d and plan to upgrade to a Nikon D200. I will be keeping the S9500 though.
    edited August 17, 2007
    Thanks for the comfort!

Can you please tell me what you mean by it is not quick enough anymore? I realize am not a professional but recently one of my recruitment agents in London has introduced a competition to send in photos with the topic 'London at work'. I work in Liverpool st and I don't think it is a great place for photos so am I am thinking of Canary Wharf, do you think my camera would be able to do the job?

I mean I can put in my creativity and thought as to how I want the picture to look but I have a strong feeling that someone with a better camera than me has a higher probablity to crack this. Do you think I am right? May be then I should'nt bother?rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 17, 2007

I mean I can put in my creativity and thought as to how I want the picture to look but I have a strong feeling that someone with a better camera than me has a higher probablity to crack this. Do you think I am right? May be then I should'nt bother?rolleyes1.gif

The minute you start thinking of limitations, you are defeated.

You have a wonderful camera, capable of fantastic images. It has capabilities that can be exploited. "Think outside the box."

My first serious digital camera was a Minolta Dimage A2 digicam. Everything I read said it was not a decent sports/action camera. While that was basically true, there were many cameras more capable of rapid action images, I learned the camera well enough to overcome and side-step many of the problems.

I learned how to position myself for the shot and I learned how to anticipate the action and look over the electronic viewfinder when taking the shot, anticipating the shutter lag and side-stepping the viewfinder lag.

One of my images was published (local paper) and, of course, I have hundreds of other images of my son that I wouldn't have otherwise. There were other folks there with dSLRs, but I was getting great shots myself.

When the team won at State, I was there to capture the action, and I came away with two shots that were composited into one image that was distributed to every team member.

"You" are the one that identifies and creates the images. The camera is but a tool in the process.
    ziggy53
    edited August 17, 2007
    Our own "Andy" shot this with a Sony F828 digicam, not so different from what you have.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=30436&postcount=5
    ziggy53
  • entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The minute you start thinking of limitations, you are defeated.

You have a wonderful camera, capable of fantastic images. It has capabilities that can be exploited. "Think outside the box."

My first serious digital camera was a Minolta Dimage A2 digicam. Everything I read said it was not a decent sports/action camera. While that was basically true, there were many cameras more capable of rapid action images, I learned the camera well enough to overcome and side-step many of the problems.

I learned how to position myself for the shot and I learned how to anticipate the action and look over the electronic viewfinder when taking the shot, anticipating the shutter lag and side-stepping the viewfinder lag.

One of my images was published (local paper) and, of course, I have hundreds of other images of my son that I wouldn't have otherwise. There were other folks there with dSLRs, but I was getting great shots myself.

When the team won at State, I was there to capture the action, and I came away with two shots that were composited into one image that was distributed to every team member.

"You" are the one that identifies and creates the images. The camera is but a tool in the process.

+1!

I have gotten great images with a point and shoot. The important thing is to get out there and take pictures!

I currently have a Fuji S5200 as my carry around camera, small, lightweight and durable (meaning that it deals with the vibration of being in a motorcycle tank bag and other abuses). Yes it's not the best thing out there camera wise but it works quite well.
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Dipti,
    You did well to buy that camera. I use two cameras which are roughly similar to the Fuji you bought. The Finepix sensors have some good dynamic range (ability to show shadow and highlight) and the lens on your camera is so versatile and compact, you will enjoy using it for many years.

The camera you bought has lots of really great features for you to grow into. Not only can you easily take snapshots, but when you want to get creative (imagining a shot and working to figure out how to record it) you will have plenty of options.

I considered buying that model when I bought my second camera but the key for me was internal moving lens elements based on the style and type of photography I do. The color rendering on that Fuji is really nice in daylight.

The lens range itself will give you a whole lot of fun. Once you look around here on Dgrin and learn some basics about photography, take that really great piece of equipment you have and start learning what you like to take pictures of.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Thanks for the comfort!

Can you please tell me what you mean by it is not quick enough anymore?

When I first bought the Fuji all was good and I found the camera quick to respond (auto-focus etc) and the burst speed was more than adequate.

However, after I got the 350d, which responds a little bit faster, I found myself wanting the same kind of speed from the Fuji. I realise that most of the difference was probably perceived rather than factual though.

As a testament to the Fuji - I still have it. Whereas I have sold the 350D.
    edited August 20, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Our own "Andy" shot this with a Sony F828 digicam, not so different from what you have.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=30436&postcount=5[/quote]

Wow this is really great, if my camera can do a similar job I will be happy. I am in the process of learning the parts just bought a Fuji XD card - 1 Gig. Will post some pictures soon