Support

2»

Comments

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    damonff wrote:
    Interesting point. The day I take a photo to get praise from a second-rate photographer is the day I put the camera down.
    Okay, this is over the top, Damon. You've already said you won't participate in the challenges anymore, yet you continue to stir up the pot. I'm not sure what sort of outcome you are looking for, but comments like the above is no way to garner support.

Thread closed. Let it go. If you would like to offer constructive suggestions on how to improve the challenges, or any other aspect of this site, we're all ears. However, if you persist with complaints of alleged conspiracies and personal attacks, you risk being banned...please consider this a friendly warning.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Don't you see? The very process of choosing will be viewed as unfair by someone, somewhere, because people are being excluded.

But that is the whole point. Not everyone can win. SomeONE has to. So lets take the best case scenario:

25 people all produce truly award winning photos. These photos are of the highest quality. There is a need to select the "top 10" based on a theme, to allow a panel of judges to vote for the single best.

The decision process to narrow down the top 10 photos will be very ephemeral. The slightest little thing will set one photo above another. The judging process will hone in on even smaller differences to find the one winning photo.

Does any of this mean that all the non winning photos are bad, unloved, or otherwise unworthy to exist? Certainly not! But decisions must be made, winners must be chosen. The photo that does not win today could very well go on to be the Time photo of the year, or win the Grand Pubah galactic photo of the century.

Do you see the point?

There is nothing wrong with the current system.
    ok, ok, how about this:
    the point being, is that many people have said the selection process is a bit skewed, myself included. what if we had the past 5 challenge winners pick the top 10? The only reason I can explain this is to give you a hypothetical example:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    damonff wrote:
    The style being referred to is Andy's taste. Find out what his taste is, then shoot your photo. Then, you'll be picked as a finalist. If you don't, you won't. I suggest looking at ads for Target, WalMart, or maybe even Trak Auto. Study the cheese, and make more. Then you'll be good for the challenge. Do anything else, read creative, and you'll be forgotten.
    Since the current selection/voting system has been in place I've entered two challenges. In both challenges I was lucky enough to have my enteries make it into the group of 10 for voting. Neither of my images were in the style you say Andy is looking for.
    damonff wrote:
    As far as your thick skin Andy, Harry said it best. You claim to have thick skin and then proceed to insult me. I guess we're in a sandbox in kindergarten.
    damonff wrote:
    Interesting point. The day I take a photo to get praise from a second-rate photographer is the day I put the camera down.
    Nice work staying out of the sandbox rolleyes1.gif
This discussion has been closed.