So many polls, it must be election season.

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited August 17, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, I am getting conflicting qualitative feedback so it's time to put it to the numbers. Choose or Lose! Well, ok, choose or *I* lose. :rofl

EDIT: Mods can you delete this so I can try to add a poll? I thought I did but it's not showing up. Ah well.

1. Jammin' (current entry, this has been edited to add contrast as some suggested)
184827162-L.jpg

2. Jammin' (cropped)
184135184-L-3.jpg

3. The Outsiders
182882386-L-2.jpg

4. Jammin' (BW Remix)
184193678-L.jpg

5. Windoze (a new one!)
184609783-L-1.jpg

If you have any suggested changes that would help in particular, those are totally welcome! thanks.

lynne
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

OMG I FIGURED IT OUT! 10 votes

Jammin' (original)
100% 10 votes
Jammin' (tight crop and blown)
0% 0 votes
The Outsiders
0% 0 votes
Jammin' (B-side BW Remix)
0% 0 votes
Windoze
0% 0 votes
You are so outclassed, just put your camera away and pray.
0% 0 votes

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    On second look, I like the crop of #1 with a bit more light on his face like in #2. The first crop because it provides even more context, and I like seeing his left shoulder and tattoo. The No Parking "P" on the right in number one kinda draws my eye because it's the only other thing in focus enough to read/recognize.

Awesome shot!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    #1 for me
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    On second look, I like the crop of #1 with a bit more light on his face like in #2. The first crop because it provides even more context, and I like seeing his left shoulder and tattoo. The No Parking "P" on the right in number one kinda draws my eye because it's the only other thing in focus enough to read/recognize.

Awesome shot!

15524779-Ti.gif Exactly what Elaine said! First composition, with the lighting of the cropped version. (Although, I haven't seen this on my "good" monitor!!!!) :D I do very much like the story in #3, but it's too OOF for my tastes.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    I like number #1, a shade up in lighting, I would try doing a blk/white pt threshold and then your curves.

This picture gave me a "happy" feeling, and he is so oblivious to everything going on around him, the way you captured the background just seemed to match his mood....

But just my thoughts...

Good Luck in which ever you choose....
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    I do like #1 a lot, however #3 is more artistic looking. 1 or 3!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    I like the lighting and mood of the first one. The golden light hitting him from behind looks great to me. The light hitting him from the front gives me the impression he has a laptop computer playing the music. I hadn't noticed the no parking sign until it was mentioned, but I'm not known for my observational skills :D

For what's worth I like the third pic as well, just like the first one a little more for the night-photography lights and colors.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    #3 is my fave! I just think it's awesome, but I'd change it to a cool B&W tone instead of a warm one - something to match the mood of the image a bit more. Also, I'd try to bring his face out more or put it more in the shadow just by a tad.

All very good, though! thumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 15, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    EDIT: Mods can you delete this so I can try to add a poll? I thought I did but it's not showing up. Ah well.
    Looks like you're already got a good thread going so I'm surely not going to delete it at this point. You should be able to add a poll at anytime. Give it another go! nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    I like #1! I can see more of his environment which sets the mood which tells a story. Great jobthumb.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Looks like you're already got a good thread going so I'm surely not going to delete it at this point. You should be able to add a poll at anytime. Give it another go! nod.gif

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!!!!

Erik, when I try to edit the post (advanced) the "add a poll to this post" option isn't there, like when you try a new thread.headscratch.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 16, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback!!!!

Erik, when I try to edit the post (advanced) the "add a poll to this post" option isn't there, like when you try a new thread.headscratch.gif
    I obviously have all the options all the time, so I'm not sure what you're seeing. But, are you editing the "post" or the "thread"?

I don't think this is a mod tool only - if you start the thread, you should have a little "thread tools" dropdown just below the main nav bar. Have a look, if you still need help, shoot me a PM.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    #1 - the wider, more action, more enticing of the two!

lightalicious
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    #1, but you don't need me to tell you that!

Jesse
    edited August 17, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    #1 - the wider, more action, more enticing of the two!

lightalicious

lightalicious.....oooh that's a new goody word!!! I like:D thanks for your feedback.
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited August 17, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I obviously have all the options all the time, so I'm not sure what you're seeing. But, are you editing the "post" or the "thread"?

I don't think this is a mod tool only - if you start the thread, you should have a little "thread tools" dropdown just below the main nav bar. Have a look, if you still need help, shoot me a PM.

Oh. Edit Thread. Not edit post. Let me go find that smilie to describe how much of a dumb---- I feel like!

:bwg
    Canon 5D MkI
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I see you've added a couple of new shots and I like both of them. But I still vote for #1 and since you finally got your voting booth installed rolleyes1.gif I did submit my ballot! I cracked up at your last selection on the ballot....we should all be so bad! :D