Options

Adding color to B&W Files in CS3

Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
edited August 17, 2007 in Finishing School
My question is about coloring or adding color to black and white files in CS3.

History: In CS I would open two files simulaneously...one color and one B&W of the same shot. Then, using a brush, I could brush away the gray to reveal the original color, say like of someone's eyes. (The short explanation, w/o all the steps)

I recently upgraded to CS3 and the steps are different. I'm doing a tutorial at my camera club on Saturday, and am doing the CS version, and thought that it would be nice to do the same in CS3.

Can anyone help with some suggestions or steps to do the same.

I have been using this effect when shooting portraits and babys. It has been well received.

I'm hoping some of you CS3 gurus can give me the quick fix.

Thanks
Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    In CS3, I would add a Black & White adjustment layer, and then paint black in the adjustment layer's mask to reveal the color layer underneath. Fast, completely adjustable, reversible at any time, and contained in one file.

There are a million techniques for this, though. I just like that one because it's simple.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    There are a million techniques for this, though. I just like that one because it's simple.

Thanks for your guidance...right on...and so much easier than in CS.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed