Powershot G7 anyone? Will they make a G8 soon?

Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
edited August 20, 2007 in Cameras
Hey y'all,

My Casio decided to go for a swim :cry while canoeing last week and I need a replacement. I was looking at the G7, as an intermediate between my wife's purse camera and my pro-gear. I really like the control it offers, it's a shame they axed RAW support though. Does anyone have any "real world" shots or comments to share about performance or problems? Has anyone heard about a planned replacement for the G7?

hoping this message finds you well -Ian

ps. I also looked at the Caplio, and I love the wide lens, but the sensor was much too noisy, even with RAW support
Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Maybe your long lost Casio is a sign that you need say a waterproof Olympus Stylus or perhaps a Pentax Optio waterproof?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 16, 2007
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    ... Has anyone heard about a planned replacement for the G7?

Crystal ball says, "Likely to have an 'announcement' soon, but not certain." (Notice they missed a year from the G6 to the G7.)

Canon G7 Announced Sep 14, 2006
    G6 Announced Aug 19, 2004
    G5 Announced Jun 2, 2003
    G3 Announced Sep 19, 2002
    G2 Announced Aug 17, 2001
    G1 Announced Sep 18, 2000
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Maybe your long lost Casio is a sign that you need say a waterproof Olympus Stylus or perhaps a Pentax Optio waterproof?

Yeah, A friend of mine has the olympus and I wasn't impressed with the picture qualityheadscratch.gif what ever I get, I'll definitely invest in a waterproof case!
    edited August 16, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Crystal ball says, "Likely to have an 'announcement' soon, but not certain." (Notice they missed a year from the G6 to the G7.)

Thanks Ziggy, If they were to announce it soon, do you think it would be before X-mas? I'm hoping that it will still have the same form factor as the G7 and not bulk up like the S5 IS, the G7 is on the outside edge of what I would carry around without picking up my D200.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 16, 2007
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Thanks Ziggy, If they were to announce it soon, do you think it would be before X-mas? I'm hoping that it will still have the same form factor as the G7 and not bulk up like the S5 IS, the G7 is on the outside edge of what I would carry around without picking up my D200.

The only thing I know for sure is that if you wait long enough, something will happen! (Deep huh.)

Other cameras that are similar would be the FujiFilm FinePix F31fd, with very nice high-ISO performance, and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7. Of all these cameras, the Fuji is the most interesting to me, just because the low light capabilities are very appealing. (dSLRs have spoiled me for life.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 16, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    dSLRs have spoiled me for life.

Yeah, it's harder to eat flank steak after you get used to Filet Mignon... Thanks for the replies, the Fuji is another one I'm seriously considering for the same reason as you, and I'll definitely check out the Lumix. Thanks again.

-Ian
  • yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    If I had my choice of a point of shoot, the G7 would be my pick. That said, I thought that the camera did not perform as well, without flash, under normal room light conditions. Either the focus would not hold well or something, but the images were just not as crisp as I would expect. When there is plenty of light, I think the G7 can produce great shots.

For actual pics...check out pbase.com. They have pics categories by camera brand, by camera, by lens, etc. here's the link for the G7 page:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_g7
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Hey y'all,

My Casio decided to go for a swim :cry while canoeing last week and I need a replacement. I was looking at the G7, as an intermediate between my wife's purse camera and my pro-gear. I really like the control it offers, it's a shame they axed RAW support though. Does anyone have any "real world" shots or comments to share about performance or problems? Has anyone heard about a planned replacement for the G7?

hoping this message finds you well -Ian

ps. I also looked at the Caplio, and I love the wide lens, but the sensor was much too noisy, even with RAW support
    edited August 17, 2007
    yoyostock wrote:
    If I had my choice of a point of shoot, the G7 would be my pick. That said, I thought that the camera did not perform as well, without flash, under normal room light conditions. Either the focus would not hold well or something, but the images were just not as crisp as I would expect. When there is plenty of light, I think the G7 can produce great shots.

For actual pics...check out pbase.com. They have pics categories by camera brand, by camera, by lens, etc. here's the link for the G7 page:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_g7

Thanks yoyo!
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20070820_g9.html

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., August 20, 2007 – Canon U.S.A., Inc. announced today that its acclaimed G-series has a new top-of-the line model - the PowerShot G9 digital camera. ...

discussion: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=69255
    edited August 20, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20070820_g9.html

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., August 20, 2007 – Canon U.S.A., Inc. announced today that its acclaimed G-series has a new top-of-the line model - the PowerShot G9 digital camera. ...

discussion: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=69255

WHOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! Thanks Steve!!!!!!

hoping this message finds you well - Ian