Options

Easy lightroom questions and rant (but still wordy)

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited August 20, 2007 in Finishing School
So I just grabbed a trial copy of lightroom to check it out and see if I wanted to make any workflow changes.

Scenario:
I ingest files via lightroom and play around w/ them. It's getting late and I want to at least cull through all the files before I call it a day so I wrap up my work in bridge 2.0.
I go back into lightroom today to pick up where I left off and all the files I deleted through bridge are still sitting in the lightroom library or cache (to be more specific only the thumbnails are still there).

So two quick questions which I'm sure are easy:
1. Is there a way to bypass the confirmation prompt when deleting the files in lightroom? (I hit the delete button and it pops up w/ a confirmation vs. bridge where it just shreds the file) It's pretty tiresom to have to do this over and over when I know when I want to delete something.
2. Is there a wasy to update the library that I have already imported (other than going through and manually deleting them) so it actually removes these files so when I launch Lr it will show me only the files that are in the folder? I'm sure there is, just a noob in Lr and I would love to just know how to do this instead of searching through KB's all day.

On a side note: It's pretty stange how processor intensive Lr is. I run a Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (overclocked to 3.73GHz) and Lr can still push my processor to 90%. I mean Phootoshop running liquify filter only pushes it to 70%. If it makes any difference, I am storing my files on two external hard drives (RAID). {mabey this is the reason my processor is working so hard?}I don't mind pushing my machine, that's why I bought it. But I like it to be pushed for a reason other than just that this app is optimized for Intel based Macs. Any input on this would be awesome!

-Jon

Rant:While I like the intuitive interface. It is kind of annoying that I have invested the past 8 years learning Photoshop, only to get an application that a 3rd grader can use once they get the hang of it. I guess this is the nature of the digital era and the driving force of consumers wanting prosumer and professional level quality. Rant done.

Comments

• Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    1. Is there a way to bypass the confirmation prompt when deleting the files in lightroom? (I hit the delete button and it pops up w/ a confirmation vs. bridge where it just shreds the file) It's pretty tiresom to have to do this over and over when I know when I want to delete something.

Instead of deleting photos one at a time in LR, try going through your photos and tagging them to be deleted (you do this by hitting the "X" key). Then when your all done tagging them, just delete all the photos tagged for deletion at once.
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    2. Is there a wasy to update the library that I have already imported (other than going through and manually deleting them) so it actually removes these files so when I launch Lr it will show me only the files that are in the folder? I'm sure there is, just a noob in Lr and I would love to just know how to do this instead of searching through KB's all day.

I think what you want to do here is to use the Synchronize Folder feature under the Library menu. I found this article that talks about it http://lightroom-news.com/lightroom-11-update/library-menu/ (look for Synchronize Folder a little ways down the page).

Hope this helps.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    Thanks Andrew.
    Just what I needed!

Any takers on why Lr is so processor intensive?

All the best.
    -Jon
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Any takers on why Lr is so processor intensive?

All the best.
    -Jon

LR is famous for being resource intensive, but it has improved dramatically since the betas. Hopefully it will steadily improve. Another thing to know is that initially LR takes up loads of processor time, as it builds previews in the background. If you have lots of photos, this can take a long time. After a few hours (days?) it will get noticably better. LR on my old AMD 2800+ with 1GB of memory uses about 35-50% of resources, spiking higher when I am doing something like crop or other (90-100%)
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Lightroom gives a bad first impression that it doesn't really deserve (mostly).

When you first load up images in Lightroom, it has to index them, build previews, and check metadata or apply your metadata changes. These are the actions that chew up the processor. But eventually, it finishes processing whatever hundreds of images were initially imported, and settles down. Unfortunately, new users are always going to see the most CPU usage because LR is setting up all those images in the beginning.

The CPU hit in Lightroom can't be compared to Photoshop Liquefy. Liquefy processes RGB bits of one file. Lightroom must take raw files and first make RGB bits out of them in the form of the preview, and when you make a change it may need to go back in the pipeline depending on what you did. In addition, as stated Lightroom may be processing many other file previews or metadata in the background. Photoshop has it a lot easier: One file, pre-rendered channels.

There is quite a bit of discussion about performance in the Adobe forums (adobeforums.com).
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    The CPU hit in Lightroom can't be compared to Photoshop Liquefy.

That's what I thought too. I'm looking at the numbers and it says Lr is acting like boss hog on my machine. Thanks for that nfo though. I'll definately wait a little while to see if it settles in. I can see why ppl like this application though. It does a great job keeping you from behind the computer.

Thanks cmason and colourbox for your replies.

-Jon
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Rant:While I like the intuitive interface. It is kind of annoying that I have invested the past 8 years learning Photoshop, only to get an application that a 3rd grader can use once they get the hang of it. I guess this is the nature of the digital era and the driving force of consumers wanting prosumer and professional level quality. Rant done.

headscratch.gif Since when was LR a complete replacement for PS? Can you do selective pixel edits? Layers? LAB/CMYK color conversions? Etc, etc,etc. Still two different tools for two different jobs (though IMHO LR sucks in general, but that's just MHO). Just now Adobe gets to ding some of you for $800 instead of $600.
  • Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    headscratch.gif Since when was LR a complete replacement for PS? Can you do selective pixel edits? Layers? LAB/CMYK color conversions? Etc, etc,etc. Still two different tools for two different jobs (though IMHO LR sucks in general, but that's just MHO). Just now Adobe gets to ding some of you for $800 instead of $600.

LR doesn't suck at all, IMO. I actually quite love it. I blows Aperture out of the water as far as image editing anyway. I agree though, PS is still the foundation under whatever cataloging/retouching app.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Alt/Option Delete key.

Sync folders.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/