Options

mobile website domains

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited August 19, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Saw this tip on a blog today and thought I'd share.

With the iphone and the new mobile web devices becoming more common, now is a good time to register your .mobi domain. It's only around $7/year-- cheap insurance against someone else getting the .mobi name you want.

Now I don't pretend to know how popular mobile websites will be, but I do remember dragging my feet the first time I registered a .com domain and by the time I got around to it, it was taken. Since then I've learned to think ahead-- besides, it's cheap so even if you never use it, it's not exactly going to break the bank.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I was under the impression that .mobi were sites that were all text for older version of cell phone and that new phones like the iphone go to regular .com sites.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    bham wrote:
    I was under the impression that .mobi were sites that were all text for older version of cell phone and that new phones like the iphone go to regular .com sites.

Hmmm-- you could be correct. But I know even the 'old' cell phones can handle some graphics. I think the .mobi is another way to get your content to people browsing the web with their phones. Maybe not the iphone though, if that can indeed view a website as originally designed.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited August 18, 2007
    Just going by my cell phone and what it can do. I have had nextel since 2000 and have had internet since then and all have been just text. It has had an ESPN site under sports that is all text, so is CNN, USA today, etc. Only on my newest phone does it have a small graphic one or two places on ESPN and CNN and that is just at the top and the ESPN and CNN logo. Now I don't have a top of the line phone just a basic one, an i265 right now. I usually just get on to check college football or basketball scores, standings, etc when I am somewhere with no computer. Most serious surfing isn't really viable on the cell phone.

But I was under the impression that a .mobi site would want to be compatable with the highest percent of users, so mostly text, not much graphics. Not really a great thing for a photo website. Also after the introduction of the iPhone in 4-7 years I see most high end phones being able to surf the .com sites just fine.

Just my thoughts, ideas, etc.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    .mobi sites are kind of a pain for several reasons. Although a great concept because all of the cell phones deal with the internet so differently its really hard to come up with a website that all users will be able to view. At least with graphics on it. Unless you are dealing with sites specifically for iphone's and iphonesque devices you really are limited to text only. I've toyed around with this idea for a couple years now (as it is my industry) and because of all the complications we still haven't felt it was worth developing one yet. Even at the company I work for we would need to develop 5 different sites to be able to support all of our users. It's a real pain.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2007
    .mobi sites are kind of a pain for several reasons. Although a great concept because all of the cell phones deal with the internet so differently its really hard to come up with a website that all users will be able to view. At least with graphics on it. Unless you are dealing with sites specifically for iphone's and iphonesque devices you really are limited to text only. I've toyed around with this idea for a couple years now (as it is my industry) and because of all the complications we still haven't felt it was worth developing one yet. Even at the company I work for we would need to develop 5 different sites to be able to support all of our users. It's a real pain.

Thanks for that info. After going through and customizing my site and see all the issue people had customizing their sites for all the different browsers I really figured it would be even more a pain in the *ss to do a .mobi site. Thanks for confirming that for us.

I assume one day (in the future with technology on cell phones chaning so fast) most cell phone will just be able to browse regular .com sites pretty well.