Options

Sand Dunes and Red Rocks at Sundown

Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited August 16, 2007 in Landscapes
Another image from a recent trip to Lake Powell. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this shot. While comfortably warm and serene, it feels a bit flat to me. I enjoy dramatic lighting, and some sort of engaging component in most of my images. I feel like the sand dunes in the FG are a nice touch, but I wish there was a bit more to this image. Perhaps a sliver of light to highlight the texture even more in the sand ripples? Who knows...please share any thoughts you may have. Right now, I feel as though this image is good, but not great. Although beautiful, it feels somewhat flat and uninspiring. Am I being too picky?

184620764-L.jpg
It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    It is a beautiful image and I like the color. But like yoiu mentioned, it seems kinda flat, the light is a little too subdued. I'm sure this picture would have really kicked if it was taken at a different time of the day.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    With this type of scene I expect to see a patch of beautiful wildflowers sitting front & center. :D

It's almost odd that the dunes are perfectly rippled and devoid of plants when the hills just beyond are teeming with it. Actually, without anything on the dunes the shot strikes me as evenly divided across the horizon, 50/50. Which we all know is tougher to accept.

Beautiful scenery, though. I agree maybe ten minutes beforehand the sun would have just a slightly more direct touch to everything.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    The light is very flat this time of day and the simple quick fix of pumping up the contrast in PP would not give you what you are after, which by the looks of your other shots is "great light". I think this image is nice with its pastels but I would have dropped the POV in hopes of loosing the mid ground, more like below.. I know I know you could have done much better in camera:ivar

Powell.jpg
  • Options
    Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Always helpful to hear others opinions/suggestions.
    It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com