Options

Easy Question - Where is the jpg in RAW?

drcarldrcarl Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
edited August 27, 2007 in Finishing School
Hullo,

Am new to RAW. Shootng Canon 10D set for RAW + Large .jpg.

I took some test shots.
Put the card into the card reader.
I see only .CRW and .THM files in the image folder.

Q: Where are the .jpg's?

I read a little and it appears that the .jpg's may be embedded in the .CRW file and that software is needed to decode them. I opend them in Bridge and see only the RAW files. Still wonder where the jpg's are.

Reason I wonder is because I wanted to see how big the files were and of what quality after reading in the forum about shooting RAW + .jpg's. My goal (which changes every hour or so) is now to shoot as close to perfect .jpg's, --right out of the camera and to use the RAW files when needed for higher quality images.

Thing is, if I need to do processing to see/manage the embedded jpg's, why even have them (if I must "process" either way) ?

Am also on a kind of slow 'puter. Maybe it's about saving processing time?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Dr Carl

Comments

• Options
    Artur C.Artur C. Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    drcarl wrote:
    Hullo,

I took some test shots.

I read a little and it appears that the .jpg's may be embedded in the .CRW file and that software is needed to decode them. I opend them in Bridge and see only the RAW files. Still wonder where the jpg's are.

Reason I wonder is because I wanted to see how big the files were and of what quality after reading in the forum about shooting RAW + .jpg's. My goal (which changes every hour or so) is now to shoot as close to perfect .jpg's, --right out of the camera and to use the RAW files when needed for higher quality images.

Thing is, if I need to do processing to see/manage the embedded jpg's, why even have them (if I must "process" either way) ?

Dr Carl

That is a bit strange. I use a 20D, and in that mode JPG's are alongside CR2's on the card. Check to see if your camera wrote another folder to store the JPG's.

-Art
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    jpgs are separate files when you shoot raw+jpg on Canon.
    Be sure you set things right, in-camera.

Welcome to RAW!
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Welcome to RAW!

You misspelled "dgrin" there, Andy.

Glad I could help.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    There is an embedded JPEG in Raw's but you can't get to them and when you ingest in a product like Lightroom or Bridge, high quality thumbnails based on the initial default renderings are used instead. The JPEGs in Raws are very, very small.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Where ARE them JPG's?
    Thanx fellow shooters...

I looked for other folders that may have the .jpg's hidden; I set and re-set the camera - all with no luck.

The manual refers to needing "dedicated software" (and EOS 10D Software Instructions) in order to "extract the .jpg's embedded in the RAW files." Hmmm...I'd rather not have to use the Canon software. I like Windows Explorer, Bridge, and Photoshop.

I sent the following to Canon and await reply:
    Hi,

Am using a EOS 10D. Set capture mode on RAW; set custom function 8 on RAW + Large (fine).

When I place the CF card into my card reader, and open the folder with the images with Windows Explorer, I only see the RAW (.CRW) files and the little thumbnail (.THM) files. Same thing if I open the folder in Adobe Bridge.

Where are the .jpg's? I am under the impression that they should be in the same folder as the RAW files.

Is there another setting somewhere that cancels-out having both the RAW and the JPG's?

Many thanks in advance,

Dr Carl
    Wait and see I guess....

Thanx for your input and ideas,

Dr Carl
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    The embedded JPEG in a Raw is tiny and only useful for previews (that's why its there). Some proprietary converters can build from the Raw based on the JPEG in camera rendering. This is proprietary so you're going to have to use their software. Or just process the Raws as you wish, export a set in sRGB/JPEG and be done. Both match too and based on your rendering preferences, not the camera's.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    still wondering (or is it wandering)
    arodney wrote:
    The embedded JPEG in a Raw is tiny and only useful for previews (that's why its there).

Thanks for your reply.

If the embedded JPG is only useful for previews, why would there be custom settings for six different (from small to large) during-capture JPG quality settings? On this 6 MP camera, the Image Sizes for these 6 RAW + JPG settings run from 6.0 MB to 8.0 MB. The 8 MB would approximate a 6 MB RAW and a 2 MB large JPG. The large JPG's run about 1.5 to 2 MPs.

Seems to me like having 6 different settings would be reduntant if the JPG is always rebuilt from the RAW data since one could choose settings during this rebuilding process....

Thanx...still wondering...

Dr Carl

PS - (That Post Script, not PhotoShop - lol) I am suspecting more and more that you may be right about having to use the proprietary software. Sheesh.
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    drcarl wrote:
    Hullo,

I took some test shots.

Dr Carl

Not having a 10D I cannot be absolutely sure but on my old D30 the .THM files were very small .jpgs. At least when I renamed them to .jpg the Microsoft PhotoViewer can read them as pictures. As mentioned by one of the other posters the 20D and I assume 30D also has the files as .jpg

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    dmmattix wrote:
    when I renamed them to .jpg the Microsoft PhotoViewer can read them as pictures.

Thanks Mike...I am "still wondering" and guess I'll have to hunt down a 10D user (or await Canon's reply)

For fun, I changed the THM extension on one file to JPG and you're right! It IS a teeny little thumbnail. Don't know how I'll use that in the future. At least I can feel like I learned something today!

Be well, and thanx...

dr carl
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    JPEGs are inside the CRW RAW file
    drcarl wrote:
    Thanks for your reply.

If the embedded JPG is only useful for previews, why would there be custom settings for six different (from small to large) during-capture JPG quality settings? On this 6 MP camera, the Image Sizes for these 6 RAW + JPG settings run from 6.0 MB to 8.0 MB. The 8 MB would approximate a 6 MB RAW and a 2 MB large JPG. The large JPG's run about 1.5 to 2 MPs.

Seems to me like having 6 different settings would be reduntant if the JPG is always rebuilt from the RAW data since one could choose settings during this rebuilding process....

Thanx...still wondering...

Dr Carl

PS - (That Post Script, not PhotoShop - lol) I am suspecting more and more that you may be right about having to use the proprietary software. Sheesh.

Google is your friend...

From this review of the 10D, it says: "[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]When a RAW image is captured, the EOS 10D simultaneously records and stores a JPEG image in the RAW image file. Unlike the EOS D60 where this mode was only possible for the Middle/Fine setting, the JPEG image can be set to any of the six JPEG quality settings on the EOS 10D".

And, here's another forum posting where someone asked a similar question: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t250583-why-rawjpeg-on-canon-10d.html.

And a forum posting on how you extract the embedded JPEG's from the CRW RAW files: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BjbO.

Since the CRW RAW format is Canon-proprietary, it wouldn't surprise me if only Canon software can extra the JPEGs from inside the CRW files. When looking around, most suggestions were to download the Canon software and use it. Other's suggested that later versions of apps like Irfanview and BreezeBrowser might be able to extract the embedded JPEGs, but I couldn't tell for sure from the articles I read.
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Use exiftool to extract jpg
    There is indeed a preview jpg embedded inside RAW files. You should be able to use the freely available exiftool to extract a medium-resolution jpg from Canon RAW files. Try
    exiftool -b -PreviewImage -w _preview.jpg *.cr2
    or
    exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw -w _preview.jpg *.crw'

From a 300D, the resolution was 2048x1360 and from a 30D the resolution was 1728x1152.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    ever learning
    Google IS my friend, agreed...and all this information rocks...and dgrin is my friend (and rocks), too!

I will see if I can get my teeth into the Exif info (thank you for the link) to see if it's worth it for me to learn...on the one hand, something new is always interesting, it appears VERY powerful for other uses, and the price is right! On the other hand, I'dd have to learn it and figure out a batch command...

Warm regards to all

Dr Carl
  • Options
    aztec36aztec36 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 27, 2007
    BreezeBrowser Jpeg extractor
    I use BreezeBrowser (V2.9) to extract the jpegs from my 300D RAW files for a quick review. - Tools \ Extract embedded Jpegs. The extraction only takes about 10 seconds for 30 images.

Patrick
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2007
    Thanx
    Thanks for the recommendation, Patrick.