Trifecta?

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited August 19, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have not asked for opinions and feedback lately
not because I do not value the opinions of the community but mainly due to
my lack of time to participate and feel asking others to lend me their opinion should not be a one way street.

So.. with that little bit of info out of the way, please feel free to vote on your favorite of my three favorites (so far) :wink

No comments are required but welcome.

#1. The current entry ... "when the day ends"
(a mixture of simplicity and beauty)

181319414-M.jpg

#2. "rock my world"
(bold color and morning light)

184707450-M.jpg

#3. "pink noise"
(evening kiss of the just set sun)

184707457-M.jpg

#4. - Keep shooting ...

Thanks for looking.

Which one is your fav? 40 votes

#1. - Current entry "when the day ends"
52% 21 votes
#2 - "rock my world"
35% 14 votes
#3 - "pink noise"
10% 4 votes
#4 -trifecta what? -- Keep shooting!
2% 1 vote

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    this is a statement against my own interest, but #2 is gorgeous
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I don't know what to tell you except I just might simply put my camera away for the next few days....!!!!!bowdown.gif

Well OK, I think that #3 is the worst masterpiece in the lot...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    sherstone wrote:

So.. with that little bit of info out of the way, please feel free to vote on your favorite of my three favorites (so far) mwink.gif

...and to make things even MORE confusing...#1 is my favorite!! They are all absolutely beautiful...but something about #1 just says beauty, tranquility and peacefulness to me. It takes me away to a magical place, just to look at it.
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    All of them are great, but #2 is awesome, so....KEEP SHOOTING!!! Just delete all of these and look for something that'll give the rest of us a chance, ok? mwink.gif
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    All are stunning, but I choose #2.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    First Off I say.......Fabulous work... 2, 1, and then 3

I like 2, the color scheme, the high depth range of the sky and tones, the subtle ripples of the water, but may I suggest burning the blown out whites a little, for instance, on the right hand side...My eye keeps getting pulled over there, and I am quite sure it is not snow, right? (I hope, I have not offended).

PS: The only reason I thought you were a female, was not due to your writings..but the "handle".."Sher" and then I assumed (I should never assume..lol) the last name was "stone".
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    (I hope, I have not offended).

I'm pretty hard to offend.

If I didn't want opinions I would just hide away and never post mwink.gif

In fact since the leading fav here seems to be "rock my world" so far
    I am actually working on the problem you mention right now.

Thank you for pointing it out.

And I must give thanks to everyone else for taking the time to lend me your kind words.
    edited August 17, 2007
    minor fix for "rock my world"

thanks Tentacion.

184763875-M.jpg
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    All are stunning, but I choose #2.
    I agree with my learned colleague. :D
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    All three are beautiful for different reasons....but sometimes it pays to listen to your first instict....IMHO!
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • lbphotographylbphotography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I wanted to throw in my comment here because I see most comments are for #2. I voted for #1. I was mesmerized by it when I first saw it posted, and even now after seeing it against your other 2 amazing photos I am still mesmerized by it. It is simply beautiful.
  • sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    I vote for #1 (they are all stunning though!). I've seen far too many 'rocks' lately on this challenge (not to belittle any of them, at all!) but #1 comes as a refreshing change. It is simple, clear, beautiful and the image has a strong theme/focal point for me.

Hope this helps!
    Sunita
    edited August 18, 2007
    Thank you!

It certainly has been a close race and the potential for it to fall either way is still there since the poll is open till the 21st but I think it is now obvious that both #1 and #2 are almost equally liked. At the moment "when the day ends" is leading and the compelling reasons given for continuing to leave it in place have been stated and stated VERY WELL
    annaelycm wrote:
    ... but something about #1 just says beauty, tranquility and peacefulness to me. It takes me away to a magical place, just to look at it.

I too initially felt a sense peace when viewing and capturing this image.

Briggie wrote:
    All three are beautiful for different reasons....but sometimes it pays to listen to your first instict....IMHO!

That is the biggest reason for starting this poll is I wanted to see if my "gut" was speaking correctly. It is and always will be a hard choice when dealing with an entry especially when all you can enter is one.
    ... I am still mesmerized by it. It is simply beautiful.

Simply, is the key word here for me as it resounds inside my own head

sunita wrote:
    ... I've seen far too many 'rocks' lately on this challenge ...

I think this comment above all else cuts to the chase and sunita is not the only person to have mentioned this to me I have had several emails and direct discussions with family that mention similar feelings. The rocks while very "nice" are a more common scene than #1.

This certainly does not mean that all the other comments that are supporting #2 do not make a heavy impact on me, in fact I have been very close to switching out my entry several times within the last 24 hours, I still may switch things out last minute or I may just stay with my "gut" and leave well enough alone. (this has not always been the best decision)

Above all I respect each and every one of you for taking your precious time and kind honesty to let me know how you are affected by the images above. It is purely amazing to have the ability to do this in a contest environment where each person responding is both a potential competitor who may "best" you and a potential public vote.

Yes I am passionate about #1 and maybe that reason alone should be why I should not even start a poll like this, but as you all know and experience yourselves the craving for an outside view of things is a vitally important step in making a final decision, whether it be from family, friends or your peers.

Thank you again!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    sunita wrote:
    I vote for #1 (they are all stunning though!). I've seen far too many 'rocks' lately on this challenge (not to belittle any of them, at all!) but #1 comes as a refreshing change. It is simple, clear, beautiful and the image has a strong theme/focal point for me.

Hope this helps!
    Sunita

Sean, you know I've been on the fence about these 2, but Sunita's reply was what I was thinking last night. The rocks have been 'done before' (though all of us would like to be able to do one!) Not all of us are priveleged to live with a rocky coastline, I think that's part of why we are so attracted to them. But I don't think I've seen a shot quite as still and 'picture-perfect' as your original entry. It's your call. mwink.gif
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    #1 is my current desktop background, if that means anything.... Stick with it. It's unique.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Ok, I concede..Laughing.gif

Although, I like number 2, I must say that in originality, I would have to go with 1.

BUT the biggest reason....YOUR GUT FEELING, you must listen to your inner voices.. I have kicked myself in the arse for not listening to it on certain occasions.....Laughing.gifbowdown.gif

Your photos are wonderful, and I have enjoyed looking at them.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    #1 is pretty, but ends with pretty.

#2 is also pretty, but goes further, engages the intellect, invites me to stop and look and think about form and light and weather.

#3 doesn't grab me.
    edited August 19, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    #1 is my current desktop background, if that means anything.... Stick with it. It's unique.

WOW - I'm honored you like it that much.

Tentacion wrote:
    Ok, I concede..Laughing.gif ...

I was not intending for anyone to change thier mind or 'concede'. The gut feeling thing is a tortureous feeling sometimes :hurt

Thanks Gary, for your feedback, seeing how honest you are about things I'll take it and run with it.

______
    I just got back from another 2 days of shooting... and will be reviewing the shots but I do not think anything will best what I have already.

Thank you again for participating in one of many polls this time around.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    #1 can be digested in a second. #2 takes more time to fully appreciate. In this world of snap decisions, getting to the punchline quickly is often a benefit but ultimately I think that depth makes a better photograph.
    edited August 19, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    #1 can be digested in a second. #2 takes more time to fully appreciate. In this world of snap decisions, getting to the punchline quickly is often a benefit but ultimately I think that depth makes a better photograph.

It is well said thoughts like this that make living on the edge of a pointy fence so painful. :twitch
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    #2 gets my vote.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    It is well said thoughts like this that make living on the edge of a pointy fence so painful. :twitch

I share your pain...
  • Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    I like the clean, polished simplicity of your current entry. My only nitpick would be that the horizon is dead center. I think cropping either a hair up from the bottom or down from the top, moving the horizon line out of the center, would put the icing on the cake for this one. Beautiful scene you capture thumb.gif

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)