photo info box includes originals, but it shouldn't

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
edited August 17, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have all of my galleries set so that originals do not display.

I just noticed this morning that the photo info box includes original as an option, and it shouldn't. It's not a huge problem since the originals are really not available - and yes, I checked.

I've only checked 2 galleries (I think that is enough!) and verified that the galleries are set to Originals No, but originals shows as an option when viewing the photos. Clicking on original shows the large photo.

I doubt that you'll need it, but here's a sample gallery: http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/3024411. Just out of curiosity, I looked in one of Andy's galleries and saw the same thing there.

--- Denise

Comments

• nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    there is also another change. used to be, that when you clicked on a pic to see the large version, it would open in a new window.

a customer could browse through pics at large size, close that window, and still be browsing the galleries. not sure if that is possible now.ne_nau.gif
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited August 17, 2007
    nipprdog wrote:
    there is also another change. used to be, that when you clicked on a pic to see the large version, it would open in a new window.

a customer could browse through pics at large size, close that window, and still be browsing the galleries. not sure if that is possible now.ne_nau.gif
    I believe that was changed quite a while ago. And I have to say that I prefer the new behavior over the old...

The listing of original in the photo info - that's a new change, and since the original isn't available I would consider it a bug as opposed to a new feature.

--- Denise
  • rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I believe that was changed quite a while ago. And I have to say that I prefer the new behavior over the old...

The listing of original in the photo info - that's a new change, and since the original isn't available I would consider it a bug as opposed to a new feature.

--- Denise

I noticed the same thing on all of my galleries....headscratch.gif
    also some of my galleries (not all) no longer offer 'watermarking' as a photo tools drop down option???? :cry ne_nau.gif :cry

rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Thanks, we'll fix this
    Sorry for the confusion.

Originals are NOT being shown though, just want to reiterate that :)
    edited August 17, 2007
    rich56k wrote:
    I noticed the same thing on all of my galleries....headscratch.gif
    also some of my galleries (not all) no longer offer 'watermarking' as a photo tools drop down option???? :cry ne_nau.gif :cry

rich56k
    Hi Rich, please give us a direct link to the gallery? Thanks.

By the way, the tool won't show watermarking if you click the tool under a photo that is less than 800px on the longest side.
    edited August 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Rich, please give us a direct link to the gallery? Thanks.

By the way, the tool won't show watermarking if you click the tool under a photo that is less than 800px on the longest side.

Hi Andy,

Here's a couple gallery links that aren't showing the 'watermarking' option in 'photo tools' drop down...

http://rich56k.smugmug.com/gallery/3294644

http://rich56k.smugmug.com/gallery/1971823

(In each case 99% or more are 3000x2000 @ J10 when uploaded,
    except when tearsheets)

your assistance is appreciated
    rich
    edited August 17, 2007
    rich56k wrote:
    Hi Andy,

Here's a couple gallery links that aren't showing the 'watermarking' option in 'photo tools' drop down...

except when tearsheets)

rich
    Rich, it's a dumb © bug, you have © in your backprint field in the gallery settings - we'll fix it, for sure, so you can have it, but for now if you remove that you can watermark.

Sorry.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    rich56k wrote:
    Hi Andy,

except when tearsheets)

rich

Rich,

I feel your pain. I've spent the last 6 hours trading emails with Andy, Anne, Seth at smugmug - basically because of this bug. Unfortunately most of that time was smugmug telling me I must have done something wrong:

first they tell me I didn't provide big enough files
    which sent me in a panic - what happened to my files.
    then finally they changed a setting on my gallery without telling me they did so - and violla the full size files were there and so was the watermarking option I asked about around 7am this morning. Never in the 6 hours did they mention a 'fix' they put in. Nope - it was all MY fault.
    In fact, here is Anne's exact quote:

>We have not made any changes whatsoever "behind the scenes" that would
    > change whether you see the "watermarking" option in your photo tools
    > menu. I'm not sure whether you just didn't notice it before, or you
    > weren't looking in the right spot, perhaps.

Followed shortly by another email - oops, guess we did have a problem.

For what it's worth - I'm glad I had sent in a screen shot this morning showing the watermark option wasn't there. Which I was glad to resend.

Unfortunately, for a company whose customer service I touted for quite a while this has become an all-too-regular response to problems: USER ERROR. Can't be smugmug, must be the users. I've probably wasted 3 1/2 hours of my life today composing / trading emails to get this resolved. In the end, the best I get is (from Anne):

"...So, I'm sorry we jumped to the conclusion that you were mistaken or weren't looking the right place. On any other day, and 90% of our customers, that would have been a correct assumption."

So - hope you are not what smugmug is considering "90% of their customers" - otherwise you're in the wrong too until you convince them otherwise.

On the plus side, maybe now I'm in a file marked "10 %" at smugmug - so when I ask about a problem the assumption won't be made right off the bat I don't know what I'm talking about.

Rich -hope you get in the 10%

edited August 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Rich, it's a dumb © bug, you have © in your backprint field in the gallery settings - we'll fix it, for sure, so you can have it, but for now if you remove that you can watermark.

Sorry.

Andy,

Thanks for the prompt reply and temp. solution,

although just for bug symptom & correcting purposes...
    I believe this gallery is the oddball that may not fit the pattern
    http://rich56k.smugmug.com/gallery/3020689
    EDIT I guess we're fixed now-disregard link!!
    rich

Johng,

Thanks for your input on this matter,
    am sorry you spent the time you did to get it resolved...

I actually feel i'm in that 10% - as so far for all the help I've needed,
    and always recieved ,
    I can still recommend smugmug wholeheartedly

theres always room for improvement in any organization,
    and at least my experience has been on the plus side.....

I know this doesn't change your exp., but I do appreciate your time and trouble to bring it to light,

rich
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Rich,

I feel your pain. I've spent the last 6 hours trading emails with Andy, Anne, Seth at smugmug - basically because of this bug. Unfortunately most of that time was smugmug telling me I must have done something wrong:

first they tell me I didn't provide big enough files
    which sent me in a panic - what happened to my files.
    then finally they changed a setting on my gallery without telling me they did so - and violla the full size files were there and so was the watermarking option I asked about around 7am this morning. Never in the 6 hours did they mention a 'fix' they put in. Nope - it was all MY fault.
    In fact, here is Anne's exact quote:

>We have not made any changes whatsoever "behind the scenes" that would
    > change whether you see the "watermarking" option in your photo tools
    > menu. I'm not sure whether you just didn't notice it before, or you
    > weren't looking in the right spot, perhaps.

Followed shortly by another email - oops, guess we did have a problem.

For what it's worth - I'm glad I had sent in a screen shot this morning showing the watermark option wasn't there. Which I was glad to resend.

Unfortunately, for a company whose customer service I touted for quite a while this has become an all-too-regular response to problems: USER ERROR. Can't be smugmug, must be the users. I've probably wasted 3 1/2 hours of my life today composing / trading emails to get this resolved. In the end, the best I get is (from Anne):

"...So, I'm sorry we jumped to the conclusion that you were mistaken or weren't looking the right place. On any other day, and 90% of our customers, that would have been a correct assumption."

So - hope you are not what smugmug is considering "90% of their customers" - otherwise you're in the wrong too until you convince them otherwise.

On the plus side, maybe now I'm in a file marked "10 %" at smugmug - so when I ask about a problem the assumption won't be made right off the bat I don't know what I'm talking about.

Rich -hope you get in the 10%

Hi,

Wow, I can see you're very upset! Because you've decided to share parts of our email correspondence here, I'm going to go ahead and explain what happened today in this thread as well (as I explained it my last email to you). First, let me say, this specific issue doesn't really apply to anyone else on dgrin that I'm aware of, but you called into question the quality of our customer support. So I feel compelled to respond.

THE HISTORY OF WATERMARKING EMAILS ON THE HELP DESK
    To give you a bit of history, we get asked very frequently on the Help Desk "Where do I go to watermark photos?" We point customers to the photo tools menu, and they come back with one of three responses:
    1) Oh! Thanks, I see it.
    2) I can't find that menu, please give me more specific help locating it
    3) I don't see the "watermarking" option in the menu.

For #3, 100% of the time (until this morning), the issue was either that their photos were too small to watermark or the customer was simply not seeing the watermarking tool. They missed it in the menu, or were looking at the wrong menu, etc. I feel like you implied that we don't take our customers seriously or that we think 90% of them are dumb in some way. On the contrary, when a customer can't find something, we assume it's our fault for not making it more intuitive of giving a more clear explanation.

YOUR SPECIFIC SITUATION
    So, when we were jammed on the Help Desk this morning, and you said you didn't see the watermarking photo tool, Seth glanced at your gallery, saw your medium sized display images (you had larges and originals turned off) and assumed that your images were too small to watermark. You (understandably) panicked and wondered if SmugMug was somehow re-sizing your images when you uploaded them. It took us several emails to reassure you that we don't resize anything. That we store your original images as-is and simply make display sizes from them. And, that you had turned off your big, beautiful originals and the large size, and that's why you weren't seeing huge images in your gallery.

You emailed us again, and I turned on your original image viewing so I could double-check the original dimensions of the image you had uploaded. It was plenty big, and I saw the watermarking tool just fine.

So, based on the 100s of emails previously answered on this issue in the years I've worked at SmugMug, I assumed that you weren't looking in quite the right spot.

This assumption was in no way a personal affront. I'm sorry you took it personally. Heck, I don't even know you! I just know that never before has a photo tool gone missing for no apparent reason... and frequently our customers have a hard time locating a specific photo tool. (Again, we assume this is our fault and we're working on a redesign that will hopefully make things easier to find.)

ENTER CONFUSING BUG
    We made some changes to the site last night. These did not, in my mind, have any relation to the "watermarking" photo tool showing up in the photo tools menu.

However, apparently the changes we made introduced a bug where if you have original sized images disabled, the watermarking photo tool disappears. So, I saw it in the gallery clearly. You did not.

Again, this bug caught us quite off-guard. As you can see a few posts earlier, Andy thought this was related to a copyright symbol in the backprinting. It took us a couple of hours to get all our ducks in a row and realize it was the "originals" setting in customize gallery that was causing the watermarking tool to disappear from the photo tools menu.

THE RESOLUTION
    As soon as I discovered the bug, our engineers were on the case and it's now fixed. I emailed you in the interest of full disclosure, to let you know that it was a poor assumption on our part that your images were either too small or that you simply weren't looking in the right place to find the tool.

On any other day, that assumption would have been absolutely accurate. We give fast, friendly replies 365 days a year and this bug showed up just this morning. I'm sorry we missed the boat initially, and I'm very sorry I managed to upset you so much.

The bug is fixed, you and I both can now see the watermarking photo tool in your gallery, regardless of whether original sized images are being displayed.

-Anne
    Support Hero
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Just as a general heads-up, we did find and fix a few bugs this morning from last night's release:

Originals were showing up as a viewing option when they shouldn't have, in lightbox. To be clear, this wasn't a security issue, the originals wouldn't actually display if they were disabled in the gallery settings... but they were showing up as link you could click. This is now fixed.

There was a caption issue relating to the use of a copyright symbol. This is now fixed.

The "watermarking" photo tool was not showing up if you had originals disabled. This is now fixed.

thumb.gif

-Anne
  • TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I really like this level of communication...
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Just as a general heads-up, we did find and fix a few bugs this morning from last night's release:[snip]
    -Anne

Sure, you shouldn't have to justify your actions like this, but I really appreciate the disclosure (including the off-your-own-bat disclosure when you realised your assumptions were wrong)...

Any chance that any of the bugs discovered and fixed would have anything to do with the wildly variable load times for some people around the world?

Cheers -- Neil G
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
    edited August 17, 2007
    nipprdog wrote:

still curious if this is supposed to be this way like Denise said, or is it a bug.
    edited August 17, 2007
    nipprdog wrote:
    still curious if this is supposed to be this way like Denise said, or is it a bug.
    It should be as you describe, but not a new window, rather "lightbox" and then when you arrow forward in Lightbox, you can then close that and be back on the gallery page.

Link us to a gallery if you have this problem, and please also tell us the browser and version you are using, thanks.
    edited August 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    It should be as you describe, but not a new window, rather "lightbox" and then when you arrow forward in Lightbox, you can then close that and be back on the gallery page.

I guess I should have said lightbox, instead of new window. :D

but this morning, when the bugs were out :D, when I clicked the 'X' in Lightbox, it would close the window.

but now, it's working like it's supposed to. clap.gif

Thanks Andy, and the rest of the SM team for all of your work today.

enjoy your weekend. thumb.gif

edited to add;

I have IE7. (new computer)
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Thank you Anne and the rest of the team!
    edited August 17, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Thank you Anne and the rest of the team!
    Hey John,

I will admit, we were not at our best this morning on your case, and I'm sorry about that. As the guy responsible for the way we help our customers, I'm going to review the whole thing, and then see how we can do better. You can bank on that.

I have your last correspondence, but as of this moment I'm not sure there's an open issue with you - so if there is, please feel free to write ATTN: Andy and I'll get to you this weekend.

Right now I'm cooling my heels waiting for the Redeye back to NY, which is 2hrs late :cry