So how would you spend the $1500 for 1st place?

Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited August 17, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Before I started shooting for LPS, I would have easily said the Sigma 80-400 OS lens. I got a dslr camera for the sake of getting better wildlife and nature shots, and this lens would extend my reach, not require a tripod due to stabilization, not be too heavy to handhold and carry around, will autofocus with my D40, and has very good image quality from what I have read.

However, now I seem to do most of my shooting for LPS and most of the time I have been using my other lens, the 18-55 kit. So in the interest of taking better LPS images, I've started thinking about the 17-55 2.8 nikkor pro lens. Plus it wouldn't be bad to have a low-light lens.

With either one, if purchased online, it would also allow me to get an external flash as well, probably the sb-600.

So what about you? And this question is for anyone who participates in LPS. We can always dream :D

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I got the midrange covered, but I'm still missing the really close/really wide and the faraway, so:
    Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX
    Olympus 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 ED
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I would donate an equal share to everyone who voted for me...:D:D:D:D:D

Unfortunately I would only end up with a vote of 1, and I don't think that has much chance.

So, based on the last statement, if I make it past the scrutiny of the judges, then....wait....well, you do the math....
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • DebboggyDebboggy Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Not that I have much of a chance at this point, but...I'd go for the Cannon MP-E 65mm macro lens and a great tripod.

I love macro, but don't have a stable enough tripod and it can't go low to the ground like I'd want. With the MP-E, I'd finally be able to REALLY see a bugs eye the way I dream of photographing it. I have the 100mm and have taken some nice shots with it, especially since I got my Kenko extension tubes, but I still want to get closer.

If there was anything left of the prize money, I'd like a new camera bag (currently using our old video camera bag, which is already about to explode when zipped).

I'd also love a decent version of PhotoShop. Right now, I only have the 5.0 limited edition, so there are a lot of things I read about and want to try, but can't.
    ~Debbie~
    Canon Rebel XTi w/18-55mm kit lens
    28-105mm
    100-300mm USM
    100mm macro USM & Kenko extension tubes
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I would probably have to say towards a Nikon D200

But who knows....I'm flexible...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I have promised my wife a better P&S camera for indulging my hobby, so that is top on the list. There are a few options for the rest of it. One option we were talking about last night was getting a good printer with the idea of putting together a show and perhaps selling a few art prints. In terms of glass, I'd like a telephoto--perhaps either the 400/5.6 or the 100-400L--but the lens I really want in that category is the 300/2.8 IS which is currently out of my price range. Other possibilties are a macro lens and/or some studio strobes.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    I wish $1500 would make a dent in the quest to go back to mac, but it wouldn't go very far! eek7.gif

So....I'd buy a UWA Tokina 12-24, and maybe a 30D to make my aging 20D a backup. That's assuming no 40D is on the horizon, of course. :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I wish $1500 would make a dent in the quest to go back to mac, but it wouldn't go very far! eek7.gif

So....I'd buy a UWA Tokina 12-24, and maybe a 30D to make my aging 20D a backup. That's assuming no 40D is on the horizon, of course. :D

What about the new iMac?? sure it's not a MacPro, but upgrade HD on the 2.4ghz 20 in to 500 ghz, and i think it would take pretty much anything you could throw at it!! Plus, it's pretty freakin' good looking!! mwink.gif
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Briggie wrote:
    What about the new iMac?? sure it's not a MacPro, but upgrade HD on the 2.4ghz 20 in to 500 ghz, and i think it would take pretty much anything you could throw at it!! Plus, it's pretty freakin' good looking!! mwink.gif

Interesting.....but the thing about iMacs is that the processor will be outdated (performance wise) well before the hardware wears out. And you can't swap out/upgrade components like you can in MacPros....

Speaking of, anyone want my tough as nails, 400mHz iMac? It was top of the line in 2000! works like a champ, except when it comes to internet surfing or image editing! rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Could you trade it for cash? I would love to be able to pay tuition ... :D
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    If nothing else, my life tought me not to count the chicken before the hatch. I'm not even going that direction...deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    If nothing else, my life tought me not to count the chicken before the hatch. I'm not even going that direction...deal.gif

Nikolai,

Normally I would agree but at this point, to continue the fowl analogy, I think my goose is already cooked.