Trying a Damonlike pitcha

Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
edited March 7, 2005 in People
Hello Grinfriends,

Here's a candid I made a while ago, I was browsing through the city waiting for some friends to arrive to grab dinner and a beer (well, a diet coke for me, I was being the responsible driver :rofl). I saw the guy standing in the 'hallway' and just had to take the shot. I was thinking B/W when I took the shot. When I reviewed it on my computer I thought Damonff :D I like his style, so I tried to give my interpretation of his style with a subject that fits very well I think! What do you think??
*In my mind it IS real*
Michiel de Brieder
http://www.digital-eye.nl

Comments

• damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    really nice...I love how there are 2 dynamic movements in the photo...and I like the b/w treatment...
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Michiel, cool photo. The style nicely matches the subject matter. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Very nicely composed shot. I wonder if you could tone down the white on the cieling. It might just be my monitor, but it looks a bit washed out.

Just my .02
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Thanks Waxy and Damon!!!

It's nice to have people appreciate 'tha stuff' :giggle
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    edited February 24, 2005
    Hey now Bridge,
    BridgeCity wrote:
    Very nicely composed shot. I wonder if you could tone down the white on the cieling. It might just be my monitor, but it looks a bit washed out.

Just my .02
    I've been carefully washing out that ceiling and you're telling me to tone it down? :lol sorry, you got me in a funny mood :D But honestly, the strong lighting and blownout parts were meant to be. For me it is part of the essence of what was in my mind.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion though, it is muchos appreciatos! (as I said, funny mood rolleyes1.gif)
    Cheers friend! And never hold back when commenting on my pics, I can handle it, every cent is welcome, especially when they come in twos :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    If Damon likes it I like it :): !

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    I like it a lot. I saw it, but I didn't want to comment until others had weighed in and people knew it was you. I am paranoid that certain people have followers who are definitely not my followers and probably would not respond to my post.
    Just a longer than needed explanation.........but I have been waiting to comment.

And all I can say is that I like it, I don't think like that, can't do it, wish I could.
    I can see why you say it is a Damon influenced photo and why the blown areas were meant to be.

I do have a question. What is so bad about blown areas? I fix them now, if possible, as I don't want them to be an issue in my pictures. Kind of like great picture, but "that little blown area in whatever place, it ruins the whole thing". "OH!"

ginger (love the photo, do)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 24, 2005
    great shot. I like the overhead light as is; in many ways it defines the picture. I might also like a version with only the one guy leaning against the wall and no one else in the shot.
    edited February 27, 2005
    Thanks Nir

:D it's great to see a bunch of people sharing the same feelings about a given style thumb.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    edited February 27, 2005
    Ginger
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I do have a question. What is so bad about blown areas? I fix them now, if possible, as I don't want them to be an issue in my pictures. Kind of like great picture, but "that little blown area in whatever place, it ruins the whole thing". "OH!"
    I'm one to go against the rules :D And I love the use of blown highlights to define parts in a scene. I could understand if people don't like it, but it's art and there's that "to each his/her own" factor. I'm glad you like it!!!
    Thanks mylady, for stopping by mwink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    edited February 27, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    great shot. I like the overhead light as is; in many ways it defines the picture. I might also like a version with only the one guy leaning against the wall and no one else in the shot.
    Hi Angelo,

I could do that... but it would take some heavy cropping... It would be okay for web usag but printing will probably out of the question (well, perhaps not small, but I only print 20cm x 30cm or bigger, I don't like to have a picture any smaller mwink.gif)

Thanks for dropping by Angelo!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Michiel
    Cool shot:):

Perfect I can't think of one thing I would change
    except I wish I took it clap.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 27, 2005
    OH no no, I love this as is. I was only imagining it shot under different circumstances. This shouldn't be cropped... uh uh, no way. :D
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Excellent shot Michiel, great contrasts and lines & I love the edgey feel it gives thumb.gif
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    I think I have to agree with everyone else except for one MINOR thing. How would it look with the extreme left edge cropped out? Meaning, have the brick column be the border on the left side rather than that small sliver of background? Otherwise, I think it's great all around. Just a thought.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    I really dig it. It feels rebellious. I like the heavy contrast a lot, it defines the mood of what might be an otherwise normal scene.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2005
    I like the shot. I like the blown lights. I'm not a big fan of the extra couple...I think a photo of just the guy would be more compelling.

Lee
    edited March 7, 2005
    Sorry that it took me a while to get back to you guys, busy busy busy :D

Thanks Gubs and Greg! Your opinion is very much appreciated :D

@ Tristan:
    The cropping of the frame to exclude the side.. Yeah, good suggestion, although I did try it. I will explain why I didn't choose to go that way. For one thing, it is a way out of the picture. If I crop it out, then there is just one way... It sort of gave me something comforting, the eye of the beholder right? :lol thanks for commenting and your honest thoughts!

@ Lee:
    I agree :D only it was a quick job :lol I was already in a hurry and I saw the scene from the corner of my eye.... The couple was going very slowly and I was already late, so what does one do??? One shoots :D

Thanks again everybody!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder