Caption changes debacle!

W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
edited August 28, 2007 in SmugMug Support
One moment, my changes aren't sticking. The next, they are coming back scrambled.

Is anyone else experiencing this? :dunno

Comments

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Update - a pattern is emerging. I break my captions into two lines by simply placing a <*br> tag in the caption. I never use <*HTML> and <*/HTML> tags. Suddenly, everything after the line break is being dropped from the caption.

Has a change been made to SmugMug that is causing this changed behaviour?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Update - a pattern is emerging. I break my captions into two lines by simply placing a <*br> tag in the caption. I never use <*HTML> and <*/HTML> tags. Suddenly, everything after the line break is being dropped from the caption.

Has a change been made to SmugMug that is causing this changed behaviour?
    I think this works.
    To separate just hit the enter key for another line. No need for <br>
    unless it is between html tags.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited August 17, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    I think this works.
    To separate just hit the enter key for another line. No need for <br>
    unless it is between html tags.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Alan, but no luck - same result. Whether I break the line with a <*br> or a hard return, nothing from that point is being displayed. I've tried two different browsers and emptied the caches.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion, Alan, but no luck - same result. Whether I break the line with a <*br> or a hard return, nothing from that point is being displayed. I've tried two different browsers and emptied the caches.
    Ok, they know now and are looking into it. Checked one of mine and it says
    "null" when loggedin, blank when not. The info is in the caption, just have to
    hit edit and resave looks like. Sure don't want to do that for all captions.

So hang on a while and see it they fix it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited August 17, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    So hang on a while and see it they fix it.
    thumb.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Sorry for this. It's a bug, we'll fix it. Your captions are not gone, by the way, so if you can sit tight till we fix (hopefully really soon) all will be normal.

By the way, if you view your photo in Single Image or Journal, the caption is just fine.
    edited August 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry for this. It's a bug, we'll fix it.
    Thanks, Andy! I'm pleased I'm not faced with reconstructing all my captions - I had other plans this weekend. :D
    edited August 18, 2007
    Thanks, Andy! I'm pleased I'm not faced with reconstructing all my captions - I had other plans this weekend. :D
    We just fixed this internally, tested, and put it on the live site. Should be all fixed, Ross - please verify?

Sorry for the brief trouble.
    edited August 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Should be all fixed, Ross - please verify?
    Stand by ....
    edited August 18, 2007
    Stand by ....
    Nup, not working yet! eek7.gif

Pick a gallery, any gallery - for every image there is always a second caption line containing my copyright, but they're still not displaying even though shown as present in the captions themselves when viewed in single or bulk edit mode.
    edited August 18, 2007
    Nup, not working yet! eek7.gif

Pick a gallery, any gallery - for every image there is always a second caption line containing my copyright, but they're still not displaying even though shown as present in the captions themselves when viewed in single or bulk edit mode.
    we're on it again Ross....
    edited August 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    we're on it again Ross....
    thumb.gif
    edited August 18, 2007
    On further investigation, the problem appears to be related to my use in captions of the © symbol (which I have included in my captions since forever, without problem). If it is present, the caption is now being truncated or otherwise corrupted.
    edited August 18, 2007
    On further investigation, the problem appears to be related to my use in captions of the © symbol (which I have included in my captions since forever, without problem). If it is present, the caption is now being truncated or otherwise corrupted.
    Yup. And we're still working on it :)
    Sorry it's gonna take a little bit of time, Ross.
    edited August 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Yup. And we're still working on it :)
    I never doubted it, Andy, I just wanted to share my 'discovery'! mwink.gif
    edited August 28, 2007
    I've been away for a few days and notice this problem is now fixed. Thanks, guys! thumb.gif

However, I now seem to have a different, but possibly related problem, also involving the © symbol. This now displays (correctly) in my captions, but notice in the screen shot fragment below how it has been corrupted in a line I've added at the top of my footer, while continuing to display correctly in SmugMug's footer line.

Footer.jpg

I've changed nothing. Help (again)! ne_nau.gif
    edited August 28, 2007
    I've been away for a few days and notice this problem is now fixed. Thanks, guys! thumb.gif

However, I now seem to have a different, but possibly related problem, also involving the © symbol. This now displays (correctly) in my captions, but notice in the screen shot fragment below how it has been corrupted in a line I've added at the top of my footer, while continuing to display correctly in SmugMug's footer line.

Footer.jpg

I've changed nothing. Help (again)! ne_nau.gif
    Re-enter the © one time in the html that drives that line, save your customizations and you should be good to go.

EDIT: I fixed it for you on your site.
    edited August 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I fixed it for you on your site.
    Thanks, Andy. I'm now all good to go! thumb.gif