starter lens

greenplasticdavegreenplasticdave Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited August 19, 2007 in Cameras
I bet the members here have answered a million of questions like this but Im hoping they don't mind ;)

Ive decided on joining the Canon camp when I finally save enough for a DSLR though Ive read reviews of the kit lens and they sound none too good. What Im after is something under AUD$1000 and my major requirement is image sharpness.

I was looking at the Sigma 18-200mm...Any thoughts?

Cheers

-Dave-

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 18, 2007
    I bet the members here have answered a million of questions like this but Im hoping they don't mind ;)

Ive decided on joining the Canon camp when I finally save enough for a DSLR though Ive read reviews of the kit lens and they sound none too good. What Im after is something under AUD$1000 and my major requirement is image sharpness.

Cheers

-Dave-

What are your photographic wishes?
    Do you want to take photos under low light?
    Sports/action?
    Macro?
    Vista landscapes?
    Nature and wildlife?
    Stage and theatre?

We need more information about your intended usage.

What is your photographic background?

The more you tell us, the better we can advise you. It would be better not to set abritrary limits on the equipment until you know what you really want to do and what your interests and capabilities are.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • greenplasticdavegreenplasticdave Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What are your photographic wishes?
    Do you want to take photos under low light?
    Sports/action?
    Macro?
    Vista landscapes?
    Nature and wildlife?
    Stage and theatre?
    What is your photographic background?

The more you tell us, the better we can advise you. It would be better not to set abritrary limits on the equipment until you know what you really want to do and what your interests and capabilities are.

Ok,

I mainly shoot landscapes and architecture. I also like doing macro (though I would intend to purchase a macro lens further down the track for this purpose)

I do not do a lot of low light stuff.

No sports

Some portraiture

No stage/theatre

Some nature shots

My background? not sure how to answer that other than that I have been hooting with an Olympus C7070 for 2 years.

Cheers

-Dave-
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007

Cheers

-Dave-

Get a 50mm 1.8. $70 lens. But very useful and affordable.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007

I had the Tamron 18-200 since it came out. Not my best lens, but 18-200 is just such a versatile range that I often found it was the lens I put on my camera.

I just recently sold my Tamron and got the Nikon 18-200 VR.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 18, 2007
    Ok,

I mainly shoot landscapes and architecture. I also like doing macro (though I would intend to purchase a macro lens further down the track for this purpose)

I do not do a lot of low light stuff.

No sports

Some portraiture

No stage/theatre

Some nature shots

My background? not sure how to answer that other than that I have been hooting with an Olympus C7070 for 2 years.

Cheers

-Dave-

Thanks for the answers.

I suggest getting a Canon 350D/XT with the "kit" lens for the wide outdoor daylight images. The Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens is sharper at the short end (wide) and does pretty well at f5.6 and f8. Those attributes make it suitable for some landscape work as well as outdoor architectural.

Then purchase a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L for the nature telephoto zoom. You will appreciate the extra quality over the Sigma lens you are looking at.

Finally, a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II for the portrait and indoor work.

I'm sure that puts you a bit over budget, but those are lenses I could live with as a minimum.

You did say, "... my major requirement is image sharpness." and I'm afraid the Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC is more of a compromise than I can recommend.

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/efs18-55/
    http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_1855_3556/index.htm
    http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_70200_4/index.htm
    http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_50_18/index.htm
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.8-II-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_18200_3563/index.htm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • greenplasticdavegreenplasticdave Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Thank you for your response it'll give me plenty to research.

Cheers

-Dave-
  • D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    I agree with the 50mm 1.8 posting.
    This is a great Lens for learning and it brings out the creativity in accomplished photographers as well.