Bad Caption editing/display bug

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited August 21, 2007 in SmugMug Support
On this picture: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/3310406#185052003, I attempted to fix a mispelling in the caption. After fixing it and hitting "Save", now the caption shows with a "+" sign between every word instead of a space. This is really ugly.

It appears that the actual stored caption is correct because it shows properly in other views and shows correctly in the bulk caption editing tool. But, it now displays wrong in the Smugmug view and there doesn't appear to be anything I can do to get it to display right.

Edit: I discovered that if I change the caption in the bulk tool and save it, it then displays in the Smugmug view without the + signs. So, the problem is caused by editing it in the inline editor (the edit link, right by the picture).
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Trying to recreate and finding it difficult.
    There are a couple caption issues right now, so I'd like to nail this one, too.

Can you tell me what it said before, and then what you typed in to make it show +
    ?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Trying to recreate and finding it difficult.
    There are a couple caption issues right now, so I'd like to nail this one, too.

Can you tell me what it said before, and then what you typed in to make it show +
    ?

100% reproducible for me.

The original caption came from setting in Adobe Bridge upon upload (I don't know if that matters) and was:

"Coyote in Lamar Valley taking a gone from a Bison killed by a bear earlier in the week"

I noticed a misspelling, so I hit the edit link next to the caption, corrected the mispelling (changed one letter) and hit Save. Immediately, it looks OK, but go to another image and then come back and it shows:

"Coyote+in+Lamar+Valley+taking+a+bone+from+a+Bison+killed+by+a+bear+earlier+in+the+week"

Remove all the plus signs with the edit link again, hit save and they come right back.

Go to bulk caption edit, the plus signs don't show, make one edit to that caption, his save and it displays OK again.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited August 19, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    100% reproducible for me.

The original caption came from setting in Adobe Bridge upon upload (I don't know if that matters) and was:

"Coyote in Lamar Valley taking a gone from a Bison killed by a bear earlier in the week"

I noticed a misspelling, so I hit the edit link next to the caption, corrected the mispelling (changed one letter) and hit Save. Immediately, it looks OK, but go to another image and then come back and it shows:

"Coyote+in+Lamar+Valley+taking+a+bone+from+a+Bison+killed+by+a+bear+earlier+in+the+week"

Remove all the plus signs with the edit link again, hit save and they come right back.

Go to bulk caption edit, the plus signs don't show, make one edit to that caption, his save and it displays OK again.
    Thanks John!

We've already nailed this internally, thanks.

Thanks for the details.
    edited August 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks John!

We've already nailed this internally, thanks.

Thanks for the details.

Good. Glad to help!
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Caption issues
    Hi Andy,wave.gif

Are you saying that all caption issues are resolved ? or are you still working on some :)

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
    edited August 19, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Hi Andy,wave.gif

Are you saying that all caption issues are resolved ? or are you still working on some :)

Caroline
    Hi Caroline "We've already nailed this internally, thanks."

It's not fixed on the live site yet, sorry. Soon, I hope.
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Caroline "We've already nailed this internally, thanks."

It's not fixed on the live site yet, sorry. Soon, I hope.

Thanks Andy
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Photo Captions Messed Up
    I uploaded 5 images this evening.

http://newsy.smugmug.com/gallery/189956#186240296

I keyed text into all of them from a cut and paste. Should have looked like this.

"-- > Note the height of the horse and its' rider.

Thunderbird Show Park Summer Classic Tournament Hunter/Jumper Horse Show at Fort Langley BC.

http://www.thunderbirdshowpark.com/

2007-08-19

."

BUT.... looks like this...

"--+%3E+Note+the+height+of+the+horse+and+its%27+rider.

Thunderbird+Show+Park+Summer+Classic+Tournament+Hunter%2FJumper+Horse+Show+at+Fort+Langley+BC.

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thunderbirdshowpark.com%2F

2007-08-19

."

When I key it in and save, it looks fine. As soon as I switch to another image and then switch back it changes.
    edited August 21, 2007
    Probably related to this same issue which Smugmug is working on, but I don't know if the fix has been released yet. The work-around (until the bug is fixed) that worked for me was to enter the caption in the bulk caption editor instead of the individual photo caption editor.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Probably related to this same issue which Smugmug is working on, but I don't know if the fix has been released yet. The work-around (until the bug is fixed) that worked for me was to enter the caption in the bulk caption editor instead of the individual photo caption editor.

Thanks! Bulk did it.

PS... oh DOH!!! didn't look far enough down. Sorry for duplicating.