LPS #11 Candidate

Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
edited August 26, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Some crazy people dared me to enter LPS. What do you think, is this image worth entering?

185197527-L.jpg

FYI, the theme is "Man Or Machine".

Comments

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Hi Gary,

I think that could definitely work.

The only thing about the composition that I'm not sure about is the metal frame thing on the right hand, lower side.

What does it add to the image and what message does it help support?

To me, the message involves some sort of internal emotion in the man (you, assuming a self portrait) and the frame on the right is only in the image because it happens to be there.

So I think you could safely paint it out and make the image stronger by doing so.

Actualy, I think that making that right hand area blank would create a strong feeling of isolation, which to me, would help support the emotion that I get from the pose and expression of the subject.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Thanks, Peter, for you thoughtful comments.
    What does it add to the image and what message does it help support?

It's meant to provide some context for the emotional set up, to suggest the theme of "machine". It is, in fact, the leg of a utility bench.
    edited August 18, 2007
    Decided to take a 2nd crack at it:

185261816-L.jpg
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    For the contest, you pick either Man as your theme or Machine as your theme. Shay discourages us from taking on both in the same shot, albeit some dual shots have made it in the top ten.

When I look at this shot, my guess is that is that you are implying there is something wrong with the computer and perhaps you are asking whether the man or the machine was at fault. If that is what you are after, my feeling is you need to work more of that story into the shot and lean less heavlily on the theme.
    edited August 18, 2007
    Duly noted. Thanks for the tips!

I'm a total LPS neophyte!
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    I think it's kind of interesting to float LPS11 ideas, even though the photo has to be taken starting Monday at 12:01 AM. I must admit that I hadn't been thinking about it at all...

So Gary, I think your post serves to get us all started in the discussion of what the theme actually means. As usual, your photos display impeccable photo finishing with great bw conversions and contrast, but I wouldn't have thought of either word in the theme. I see frustration or even depression in the first, and then perhaps a man frustrated AT a machine in the second, but it will be anyone's guess as to whether any or all of the judges will connect them to the theme...

YGIAGAM!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited August 18, 2007
    I think it's kind of interesting to float LPS11 ideas, even though the photo has to be taken starting Monday at 12:01 AM.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, this round started early, with Shay's post here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=68530
    So Gary, I think your post serves to get us all started in the discussion of what the theme actually means. As usual, your photos display impeccable photo finishing with great bw conversions and contrast,

Thanks!
    but I wouldn't have thought of either word in the theme. I see frustration or even depression in the first, and then perhaps a man frustrated AT a machine in the second, but it will be anyone's guess as to whether any or all of the judges will connect them to the theme...

Now I'm confused. I started off thinking the theme was "man or machine" but LiquidAir says
    For the contest, you pick either Man as your theme or Machine as your theme

So how's this theme thing work?
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Before my last post here I did go out to find the notice on what the theme would be, but I couldn't find it.... So thanks for the link, and yes, if I read Shay right, we have some extra days, and either of you photos would qualify as far as EXIF.

As for theme, it is one of those careful things where the "or" is very important. Shay said in many threads before most of the LPS rounds that we should try to stick to one side "or" the other. Though it would not be against any rule to, it should be really powerful if one tries to capture both sides of the theme in a single image.

Others will chime in, but that's as much sense as I can impart at the moment... I am, of course, drawing the usual "blank" as far as an idea for the theme!

I don't see an LPS11 entry thread as of yet either...

(I can say that for each of the LPS that I did enter, I felt the most growth and accomplishment when I chose the side of the theme that was opposite of my first instinct on the subject!)
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • 3phase3phase Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Of the two images posted I prefer the first. For me the second seems just a little overprocessed. In particular I find myself drawn to the back of the hand and kinda get stuck there instead of taking in the who image.

I like the first one quite a bit - but think Peter offered some great advice. Good Luck!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I don't see an LPS11 entry thread as of yet either...

Shay gave everyone an extra week to plan and/or shoot
    BUT
    No entries are allowed until AFTER the SF Round is over.

I like your first shot, but I would clone out the table leg...Nice B/W

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited August 25, 2007
    3rd candidate shot
    Title: The Measure of a Man

187722761-L.jpg
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    I like "The Measure of a Man" the best. That said, read Shay's thread on titles and themes here. It may affect your choice for the title.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
    edited August 26, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    I like "The Measure of a Man" the best. That said, read Shay's thread on titles and themes here. It may affect your choice for the title.

Yeah, your point is well-taken, but in this case I like this title regardless of the LPS theme.
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    I definitely prefer the third candidate - very neat self portrait. Although I don't quite understand the title, although that's just a side note if anything.
    edited August 26, 2007
    Alternate title that came to me in the car today: "Portrait of a Programmer".
  • JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    I like #1 if the work bench gets cloned out. That way you won't be stuck with both man and machine in the picture. thumb.gif
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated