Tips For Shooting a Newborn??

Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited August 20, 2007 in People
I have a newborn shoot this week (9 days old) and I have only done one other newborn shoot and it didn't go well =( The baby cried the whole time and it really seemed to fluster me :dunno The only plus to this shoot is I did their maternity shoot so I have already been to their house and know them a bit. So any tips???
Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
BLOG

Comments

• quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    When they cry I use the time to focus on those up close shots of little feet and little hands until the parents can restore calm.

Bring some solid colored fabric, the baby blankets usually make the photos more difficult.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Would be a great time to get shots including the new parents as well, rocking and soothing the little one. :D
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Right after feeding time would be good. The little one will be content, and probably will snooze. Just have to watch out for spit ups.
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Thanks for the tips...I hope it goes well =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Steph,

I've found the best results when i've tried to create a calm environment. Bring a new-agey lullaby cd, or ask them to play the baby's favorite music wherever we're shooting. More for the adults than the babies! I've found the parents get more flustered than the newborn...the pressure of you being there combined with the fact that the baby WILL have some crying spells.

I usually try to swaddle them in something, have a parent rock them to sleep for some interaction shots, then lay the sleeping papoose down near some window light and of course, don't use flash! :D

good luck! They're definitely tough, my least favorite type of shoot, they can be very rough on your nerves. try meditating before and after for best results (where's the Zen smilie??? we need one!) :cavig
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers