Best color srgb or ICC

NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
edited August 22, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Changing this post, a few questions below, as I did use the Spyder2Express and it did a great job. But a few questions below in last post here. Thanx Chris and David. I'm sticking with sRGBs for now.

What a difference a calibration makes on a new LCD screen!
My answer to the next question, is yes, the Spyder does indeed change color profile for your processing program and everything is coordinated. I'm going to print some more and compare the befores and afters, to see if they are also too dark.

Previous:How do you then coordinate the color space profile to printer? Does the spyder2 give directions for this? Because I managed a decent color now [although not near as true as mu old CRT] but the cann s9000 is way roo dark, and lacking contrast. Its like its struggling to match anything now.[whereas it was a perfect match before with the crt and real outdoor color.]

And after a week nightmare I finally calibrated to the software provided by the screen, the Forte Manager, and the color is livable [for however the limited RBG can give, minus needed yellow]. I can live with that. But mainly want my printer to match. Will the Spyder help me with that?
****Spyder overrides that

And will the ICC better match my old CRT? [much warmer, less fake blues, better taupes and whites. etc.]
skip the ICC, Spyder came alot closer to acceptable.
thnx

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited August 20, 2007
    bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    OK, so it sounds like you have not yet purchased the spyder? This would be the first step to color management.

First, you need to generate a calibration profile for your monitor, ideally with a hardware-based spyder. This way you know the colors being displayed on screen are accurate.

Next, you need to make sure you are applying an appropriate color profile to your images so all apps know what the numbers are suposed to mean. I would strongly suggest you stick with sRGB for now. It is the narrowest of color spaces, but is the one that the web uses, and the majority of print labs. Once you get comfortable with this whole topic, you can join our "what color space is best" debates. mwink.gif

Finally, you should have printer profiles for the most accurate color matching. This is dependent upon the printer/ink/paper combination. Many printer and paper manufacturers have pre-made ICC profiles you can download to use wit htheir products. You can also order custom profiles (IIRC about $25-50 each); or if you really get werious about it generate your own with a variation of the screen spyders.

You might also want to take a look at "Real World Color Management"
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    OK, so it sounds like you have not yet purchased the spyder? This would be the first step to color management.

First, you need to generate a calibration profile for your monitor, ideally with a hardware-based spyder. This way you know the colors being displayed on screen are accurate.

Next, you need to make sure you are applying an appropriate color profile to your images so all apps know what the numbers are suposed to mean. I would strongly suggest you stick with sRGB for now. It is the narrowest of color spaces, but is the one that the web uses, and the majority of print labs. Once you get comfortable with this whole topic, you can join our "what color space is best" debates. mwink.gif

Finally, you should have printer profiles for the most accurate color matching. This is dependent upon the printer/ink/paper combination. Many printer and paper manufacturers have pre-made ICC profiles you can download to use wit htheir products. You can also order custom profiles (IIRC about $25-50 each); or if you really get werious about it generate your own with a variation of the screen spyders.

You might also want to take a look at "Real World Color Management"

Thx Chris. I will have the spyder2 express soon. as of yesterday I have come close to a livable color and fairly close to previous color, give or take a few bright moments. I have saved this profile in presets within the color management section of the LG screen software that offered a calibration technique that worked fairly well. I maybe can live with this. Now that I've saved it, do you know if I could get back to it, if the Spyder technique is not as good as this?

thnx
    edited August 21, 2007
    Netgarden wrote:
    Thx Chris. I will have the spyder2 express soon. as of yesterday I have come close to a livable color and fairly close to previous color, give or take a few bright moments. I have saved this profile in presets within the color management section of the LG screen software that offered a calibration technique that worked fairly well. I maybe can live with this. Now that I've saved it, do you know if I could get back to it, if the Spyder technique is not as good as this?

thnx
    I'm not familiar with their driver software, but I would expect that this saved calibration is an ICC file, so you should be able to. I also expect that a proper, hardware-based calibration will be better than an eyeball calibration. mwink.gif
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I'm not familiar with their driver software, but I would expect that this saved calibration is an ICC file, so you should be able to. I also expect that a proper, hardware-based calibration will be better than an eyeball calibration. mwink.gif

You were right on Chris. The Spyder2 was easy, and the colors look about as close as I could expect. I am about to test some printing now. [I'm glad I printed some this week off the other LG profile, because I will have some to compare. The Spyder stated that my color management will be all adjusted to their calibration including my processing applications. So I gather I do not have to do anything at all now? I wouldn't mind it a tad lighter so maybe the gamma could be tweaked up a .1, but I won't mess with it unless the prints are really dark

Do you know, if they are dark, can I just tweak the color management properties in my PSP? Or would that not do a thing? I'm a little confused now as far as where all this profiling is to be found. I've read somewhere that the gamma could go up a notch to be more to the true colors...which is a whole new bag of bones, I won't mess with it yet, but would love to know where that default button is just in case and where the newly calibrated profile is. And I won't mess with any other changes.Thnx
    edited August 22, 2007
    OK, I'm confused. Did you just change the whole original post? headscratch.gifhuh Walk me through the new issues or questions again.