Options

Battery for Canon XT

FristlesFristles Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited August 21, 2007 in House of Canon
http://estore.usa.canon.com/Specification.asp?ITEM_ID=36454

Is this the correct battery for Canon Rebel XT? I typed the name in google and some prices come up with $9.99 and up. I was wondering whats the difference when Canon's site is $70

Lace
~*~Fristles~*~
"Unexpected actions speak louder than words."

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Lace just buy them on ebay...ive maybe 5 from ebay & they are every bit as good as a canon...no diff to be perfectly honest but look how much cheaper.

You get 2 batterys for $13 USD inc postege.
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    just a FYI, the ones that are listed as "genuine canon" are probably not genuine canon. After buying a few (that work perfectly fine)... I got a letter in the mail saying sorry but they are not genuine canon. Apparently canon threatened to sue them or somethingrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 19, 2007
    Fristles wrote:

Is this the correct battery for Canon Rebel XT? I typed the name in google and some prices come up with $9.99 and up. I was wondering whats the difference when Canon's site is $70

Lace
    Take a search in the other forums, many discussions of aftermarket batteries. So are you looking for a battery or just advice? If the latter, I'll move you into the discussion forum and you'll get more people chiming in with the good or evil of third party batteries.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    I'm looking for advice on what battery I should buy since there are different prices and this is first time I ever had to buy a Camera battery like this. Other cameras I have used had to have AA's.

DoctorIt wrote:
    Take a search in the other forums, many discussions of aftermarket batteries. So are you looking for a battery or just advice? If the latter, I'll move you into the discussion forum and you'll get more people chiming in with the good or evil of third party batteries.
    ~*~Fristles~*~
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Fristles wrote:
    I'm looking for advice on what battery I should buy since there are different prices and this is first time I ever had to buy a Camera battery like this. Other cameras I have used had to have AA's.
    Just buy any of those we all told you to buy, did you read the advice posted for you. Dont over think it. I would happily buy those cheapys on ebay.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    I have heard that some batteries "cheapies" can damage the camera. Is this possible?

Lace

gus wrote:
    Just buy any of those we all told you to buy, did you read the advice posted for you. Dont over think it. I would happily buy those cheapys on ebay.
    ~*~Fristles~*~
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Fristles wrote:
    I have heard that some batteries "cheapies" can damage the camera. Is this possible?

Lace
    Ive never heard of it before. I suppose if a battery ruptured inside but i doubt it. If i dropped & cracked a battery i would throw it in the bin. If a battery was or became dodgy it most likely would crap itself in the charger.

Where did you hear this ?
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    No one can give you a guarantee on a battery exploding on you. If you think its worth $30-$40 for one battery made by Canon, you're paying for the name and possibly the assurance that its built by the same manufacturer. But if that assurance is worth it to you, I say do it. One thing I like about these aftermarket ones though, they hold a much higher charging capacity. My Insten (from Ebay) batteries are rated for 1200mah instead of the stock 700mah. I like it a lot better than my blue labeled Canons.

But... rest assured, a lot of us has used batteries that were not supplied to us by Canon and worked just as well, if not better than the normal ones from them.

From our experience, its def. worth the risk buying these Ebay batteries versus paying 3-4 times for for a normal Canon one.(which at sometimes may be weaker in overall charge capacity)

I highly doubt it will blow up on you, but thats from my own experience. I would def. go with these Ebay ones or at the least, order SterlingTek ones from online retailers if you do not wish in ordering from Ebay. They're the choice of most of the people here for aftermarket batteries.

Wish you all the luck!
  • Options
    BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Fristles wrote:

Lace
    The answer to your question is yes, the NB-2LH is the correct battery for the XT.

The NB-2L will also work, but provide shorter life. Both batteries will work in each other's chargers.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    Gus,

I heard this from a couple people on another forum I used to go to. It have been an year ago since I heard it and not sure what forum it was that I heard it at. So I really can't point you to an direction. Sorry. =/

Thanks for you all opinions and I will look on Ebay. I know that using any type of battery, no one can guarantee it will not explode.

Thanks a lot
    gus wrote:
    Ive never heard of it before. I suppose if a battery ruptured inside but i doubt it. If i dropped & cracked a battery i would throw it in the bin. If a battery was or became dodgy it most likely would crap itself in the charger.

Where did you hear this ?
    ~*~Fristles~*~
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    Fristles wrote:
    Gus,

I heard this from a couple people on another forum I used to go to. It have been an year ago since I heard it and not sure what forum it was that I heard it at. So I really can't point you to an direction. Sorry. =/

Thanks for you all opinions and I will look on Ebay. I know that using any type of battery, no one can guarantee it will not explode.

Thanks a lot

Honestly...worry about changing a car tyre on a busy freeway, that is an everyday part of life that can easily get you 6 foot under.

Camera batterys ...just drop 'em in & go about your business.