Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • scottykmscottykm Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    With all the leaks going on you'd think they would just annouce it now wouldn't you ne_nau.gif ..... Skippy

Thread over on potn mentions a press conference tomorrow.

I am a bit excited, now need to think, 5D or 40Dheadscratch.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    scottykm wrote:
    I am a bit excited, now need to think, 5D or 40Dheadscratch.gif

my pulse definitely quickened reading about the supposed 'specs' of the new 40D! 6.5fps vs 5D's 3fps? That's sad.

"40D camera is able to produce images with finer and more accurate gradations of tones and colors. The EOS 40D also incorporates the optional Highlight Tone Priority and High-ISO Noise Reduction functions first introduced earlier this year with the EOS-1D Mark III Professional Digital SLR."
    eek7.gifbarb

given my current heavy use of the awesome 17-55 EFS, the "30D vs 5D vs 1DII question"as far as replacing my aging 20D is pretty much answered now!!!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    I was able to read the Amazon pages earlier this morning, about 9:00AM EDT. But, they're gone now!
    edited August 19, 2007
    I was able to read the Amazon pages earlier this morning, about 9:00AM EDT. But, they're gone now!

What did you do, Scott!???:D
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    What did you do, Scott!???:D
    Very funny!

If you want to see what Amazon had up, take a look here

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_eos_40D.html
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    given my current heavy use of the awesome 17-55 EFS, the "30D vs 5D vs 1DII question"as far as replacing my aging 20D is pretty much answered now!!!

Just want to point out you're really comparing apples to oranges here. The 1D cameras are much more than tonal values. Handling, focus, feel, battery life, weather seals, shutter life, features... all of that on the 1D series is vastly different than the 5D and 30D and 20D. I shoot a 5D and a MKIIn-- the 5D takes beautiful images, but the handling and overall feel of the MKIIn is so much better (and the MKIIn syncs faster). In fact, the MKIIn handles so much better it's the camera I end up using for 90-percent of my photography-- even big studio shoots.

Yup, I realize the MKIII has a similar control layout to the 5D/30D, but doesn't appear that one is on your list. Besides-- not may MKIII available in the stores right now.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited August 19, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Just want to point out you're really comparing apples to oranges here. The 1D cameras are much more than tonal values. Handling, focus, feel, battery life, weather seals, shutter life, features... all of that on the 1D series is vastly different than the 5D and 30D and 20D. I shoot a 5D and a MKIIn-- the 5D takes beautiful images, but the handling and overall feel of the MKIIn is so much better (and the MKIIn syncs faster). In fact, the MKIIn handles so much better it's the camera I end up using for 90-percent of my photography-- even big studio shoots.

Yup, I realize the MKIII has a similar control layout to the 5D/30D, but doesn't appear that one is on your list. Besides-- not may MKIII available in the stores right now.

I realize they're all apples to oranges, and there are many more features I didnt mention. That said, I am somewhat shocked at the purported added features of the new 40D that come from the MKIII release.

I will definitely take them all for a test drive before deciding, of course. The MKIII will be way out of my price range for the forseeable future, plus I need a camera that will leverage my current lens lineup, not outperform it. Baby steps, here! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    edited August 20, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Then there is this, too. :D

I know! Craziness!!!! :whew
    Canon 5D MkI
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Interesting, but--and I may be considered nutty here--my upgrade plans are unchanged: 20D -> 1D Mk II N. Not enough difference for me--yes, still--even for the 20D->40D path, and price is prohibitive for 20D->Mk III.