Family shoot

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited August 20, 2007 in People
Had fun shooting this family earlier this week. We were losing daylight quickly though and missed opportunities for other poses. The smallest boy was in a bad mood so the shoot was quick. Still in the process on working other files and doing some more b&w conversions. All were shot using fill flash in AV.

185197031-L.jpg

185205154-L.jpg

185185942-L.jpg

185197082-L.jpg

185205126-L.jpg

Thanks for looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Beautiful pictures, was the fill in flash off camera and through a diffuser?
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Thanks Patrick
    Beautiful pictures, was the fill in flash off camera and through a diffuser?

Believe it or not, all were with flash on camera but did use the better bounce card (my favorite over stofen & lightsphere). Flash was set to -1 to -1 1/3 on most shots, ISO 400, f/8, 1/80th sec. With the bounce card I find that even though the flash source is direct it is not an issue. There are obvious times when getting the flash off camera is desirable. I am looking into a camera/flash bracket and sorting through a myriad of choices.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 19, 2007
    really nice photos-

re bracket-

Flash Flip H.O.T. Flash Bracket for 35mm

at bh photo--pricey but neat-

re photo 'out there'-

well, yeah, that's me-

how's the grandbaby?-
    edited August 19, 2007
    I guess that's him in the avatar?-
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Hey Swartzy!! I love your shots, the colors are great, very clear and sharp, but i have few things that i didn't care for:

1. Crop work isn't the greatest, for ex. pic 1, 2 and 5, i wish you had them all in frame, without cutting feet. #3 is a better crop, but too tight to the left, lady seems to be falling out of the frame.

2. Shot #4, that stone to the left is distracting, it's right in your face and my eyes keep returning to that stone vs. looking at people, the lady seems to be hiding right behind it.

All in all, i like everything else! :D and especially B&W one, good conversion! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    really nice photos-

re bracket-

Flash Flip H.O.T. Flash Bracket for 35mm

at bh photo--pricey but neat-

re photo 'out there'-

well, yeah, that's me-

how's the grandbaby?-

i always enjoy george's posts, but this one has got me stumped ne_nau.gifD

re: the photos. Groups are tough, especially involving kids. I think you did great given the circumstances!

1. Watch the angles on the mom, she is slouched quite a bit. If the mom hates how she looks in a photo, chances are she will not notice how cute her boys looked, and will never order it. mwink.gif

2. Great shot, I love the way you balanced the flash here, the color and lighting is really, really nice!

3. IMO the BW works very well in this instance (their varying shades of orange and stripes are a little jarring). The best shot of the four of them, I think they'll really like this one! I am not a huge stickler on cut off limbs, but it does bother me that her hand is cut off here. I would crop a little more off the bottom, and you would get rid of the back of her leg here, too.

4. Cute photo, lively expressions, really nice colors. Her hand though is behind a rock this time! rolleyes1.gif

5. Another fantastic brotherly love shot. My favorite of the bunch, for sure. The parents will be thrilled with these clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited August 19, 2007
    Thanks Marina, George & Lynne
    The family seated were sitting in a recessed area with rocks covering the feet and parts of the legs. There are only two actually cropped but wanted to get the distracting rocks in front out of the way. Lynne, she slouches as she was in a car accident and can not sit straight up,....so.....had to do what I could. I agree some of the angles could have been a tad better. It's usually an "after the fact" to where you wish to return and do it again...but, I guess it is what it is. Thanks for the kind words and feedback.

George, yea..that's Magnus in my avitar...he's a riot! Here he's excited with grandma..Laughing.gif. He's got some chompers too!

178548815-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    i always enjoy george's posts, but this one has got me stumped ne_nau.gif

Just remember that George is really old and it'll all make sense.
    edited August 19, 2007
    Swartzy, #s 2 and 5 are fantastic. Those boy will love them 20 years from now.
    Great work.
    edited August 19, 2007
    pyrtek wrote:
    Just remember that George is really old and it'll all make sense.

yeah, that pretty much says it all-

that and the pills-

oh well, I'm harmless-

swartzy-

he's a cute one!-
    edited August 19, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    that and the pills-

As I remember it from medical school - each hyphen is a pill popped.
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    I like the lighting and the color. The only thing that I would have tried to avoid are the dad's big knees. They just seem to leap out there for me ...

Good job!
    edited August 20, 2007
    Thanks gang
    Yea, the dad's knees are big...well, so is he...Laughing.gif. George, you're not old, just seasoned. Finally got the computer back as I had two go down within a week...eeek.....now my IMac is back so have more to PP from this shoot and get them to the gallery. I'll be doing a few more in b&w...I suggested nice neutral colors for them to wear and they showed up with bright stripes rolleyes1.gifAnyhoo...it was a fun shoot and it pays even.....whooohoo! Thanks for all the kind words!
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com