Tilt-Shift for Landscape?

argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited August 23, 2007 in Cameras
Been thinking of getting a Canon tilt-shift lens. Two questions:

1.) Is T/S usable for landscapes?
2.) If so, what focal length would be recommended for landscapes on a 5D (24mm or 45mm)?

Thanks for any help. :dunno
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 19, 2007
    I think Marc and Andy mostly used the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=63513
    http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=62113
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Maybe this will turn into a "how to shoot landscapes with a T/S."

Sure hope so.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Have you noticed Andy's avatar lately? He uses the T/S all the time for landscapes. Marc, too. I want one for just that purpose.

posted_pix_not_sharp_-_digital_grin_photography_forum-20070819-162128.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Maybe this will turn into a "how to shoot landscapes with a T/S."

Sure hope so.
    There's not much to it. I use it three ways:

1) for a single shot, static subject, I can shoot a subject twice, and then merge the files together in PS. I get a nice 4:5-ish ratio file out of this. It's a 10-second merge in CS3 now.

156529369-L.jpg

2) I might also to up/down AND side-to-side panos,

156527313-L-5.jpg

3) I'll use it for "regular" panoramas. here's a full 360, it's something like twenty Canon 5D files, all in portrait-orientation:

156637240-L.jpg
  • ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    I love the 24mm for landscape and architecture and dearly love the 90mm for creative shots (it'd be the last lens I'd sell, of many). I use these two so much I'm considering the 45mm TS as well, I mean, I use them more then all my other lenses they're fantastic.
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    I just came back from a vacation in Hawaii where all I brought was my body and the 24mm T/S:ivar As Andy points out there is not much to it.

1st application, Landscapes with near/far subject matter, the tilt allows you to use larger apertures.
    2nd application, merge two exposures together in CS3 taken from one point of view thus creating new image area, done by shifting lens left for one exp than right for the other.
    3rd application, check this out. I have not really worked this method yet but there are some very cool images being created this way, use the tilt to distort the focus way out of focus, but keeping the center in focus. This method makes the subject appear miniatureheadscratch.gif

I did have my lens modified by Canon. I like to have the tilt on the same axis as the shift, meaning I can drop (shift) the lens down and then tilt the plane of focus from the FG to the BG as apposed to the default way which would tilt side to side for architecture.

Look for my article to appear in Outdoor Photo, I think in Oct or Nov!
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:

If you are doing up/down and side/side does the resulting merged image end up looking like a wide cross that needs some cropping? or are you re-orienting the camera to maximize your shifts? I need to test this out, I cannot picture it. headscratch.gif

When will Canon make a mkII of this lens, giving the user both rise/fall and r/l shifts? :D
    edited August 20, 2007
    Andy, Marc, thanks. I don't understand Mac's second method. The miniaturization I figured out right away, tho! I'll post a pic when i get home.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited August 21, 2007
    186220474-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Hey! When were you in my backyard?! Louisbourg!
    wxwax wrote:
    186220474-L.jpg
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited August 21, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    If you are doing up/down and side/side does the resulting merged image end up looking like a wide cross that needs some cropping? or are you re-orienting the camera to maximize your shifts? I need to test this out, I cannot picture it. headscratch.gif

When will Canon make a mkII of this lens, giving the user both rise/fall and r/l shifts? :D

I keep the camera back stationary and only use a side to side "or" up down.

Sid, you got it!
    edited August 21, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    Hey! When were you in my backyard?! Louisbourg!
    nod.gif

lol3.gif

In late July. Very enjoyable visit.
    Sid.
    edited August 22, 2007
    I keep the camera back stationary and only use a side to side "or" up down.

That makes sense.

I am still wondering if that is what Andy is doing, based on number 2 of this post. Are you doing both, but each is their own photo, not up/down/right/left in the same photo?

Andy wrote:

3) I'll use it for "regular" panoramas. here's a full 360, it's something like twenty Canon 5D files, all in portrait-orientation:
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Aside from the Nikon vs. Canon debate, I'm a Nikonite who certainly recoginizes some specific advantages to Canon, and just can't make that transition right now, BUT, is there a lens out there similar to the Canon TSE that has a Nikon mount?

Is it a Lensbaby, or exactly what..??
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited August 22, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Is there a lens out there similar to the Canon TSE that has a Nikon mount?

Nikon calls their Tilt/Shift lenses PC lenses (Perspective Control). They used to make a 28mm, 35mm and 85mm, now only the 85mm PC show on their lens list.
    edited August 22, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    That makes sense.

I am still wondering if that is what Andy is doing, based on number 2 of this post. Are you doing both, but each is their own photo, not up/down/right/left in the same photo?

In addition to the side to side or up/down stitches, I have the body and lens mounted on the RRS pano rig which allows me to create a pano as well as a two image stitch. The RRS pano rig, as I call it, simply allows the body or film plane to rotate around the nodal point of the lens thus making it possible to stitch multiple images together with a wide angle lens. So really, if you are set up this way you can create panos or two image stitches with the T/S lens, all is possible. The set up allows me to do what I call "build a composition"

BTW, the T/S effect is greater on smaller chips, meaning you get even less overlap increasing your file size even more.
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    the ts-e 24 is the first thing i would buy if the wife ever let me have that much money thumb.gif .. until then im stuck with weekend rentals.
    170447694-L-1.jpg

172138032-M-1.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 23, 2007
    And you can do the mod yourself thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited August 23, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    And you can do the mod yourself thumb.gif

There are only four little screwsne_nau.gif I did consider it but decided to send it in when I had a flash back of attempting to rebuild my automatic transmission in highschooleek7.gif That did not work out so well:cry
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 23, 2007
    There are only four little screwsne_nau.gif I did consider it but decided to send it in when I had a flash back of attempting to rebuild my automatic transmission in highschooleek7.gif That did not work out so well:cry

Yeah. Too many moving pieces :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited August 23, 2007
    lol3.gif
    Sid.