needs a tighter crop.
  • R3N5LOWR3N5LOW Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    okay?
    sorry i didnt really remember
    t'wass a while ago
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    I like the crop.... doesn't have to be ultra tight every shot. thumb.gif Besides... its adds a fudge factor to any motion blur on the car
  • R3N5LOWR3N5LOW Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    thank you :D
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    I like the crop.... doesn't have to be ultra tight every shot. thumb.gif Besides... its adds a fudge factor to any motion blur on the car
    I agree. The crop as-is adds some environment to the shot, which gets missed by all the tight crop photos.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    I agree. The crop as-is adds some environment to the shot, which gets missed by all the tight crop photos.
    One thing to remember about asking for critique of the photo is to first ask who your intended audience is, and then figure out what critique is relevant to them. :) If I was looking at this photo from an artistic standpoint I'd probably want some changes. A tighter crop (at least remove the dead space on the right). Maybe an angled horizon. Etc. But if I was the driver of the car looking for a memory I'd probably really like the photo as-is, as it shows not only me, but gives me a good sense of where I was. There is enough environment in the photograph that I can tell where I was, which adds to the photo.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    With these kinds of shots, 1/80 is really not slow enough to create the motion blur that you really want. As it is, the background looks like it's just basically not in focus. Next time, try progressively slower shutter speeds, 1/60, 1/30, even down to 1/10 or so, holding the lens as steadily as you can, paying attention to holding the viewfinder target on subject. You will get a much more linear blur that will allow you to crop the print more tightly, (if you want to..)
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    idk... 1/10th is pretty damn long even for a panning shot.

FYI, this one was 1/160th and still has a great effect. Well.. you gotta take into account that these cars are going like 100mph there... rolleyes1.gif

76122919-L.jpg
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    idk... 1/10th is pretty damn long even for a panning shot.

FYI, this one was 1/160th and still has a great effect. Well.. you gotta take into account that these cars are going like 100mph there... rolleyes1.gif

The longer the shutter speed is the greater the separation will be between the subject and the background. In addition the longer the focal length the shorter the shutter speed must be to obtain a relative look.
    BTW, I have done almost all my motion pan shots at about 15/sec with at the min a 200mm lens. However, to get the subject sharp it is easier, believe it or not, to use a fasater shutter speed with a longer lens. 400mm at 30 to 60/sec. Many pros do this with a monopod.
    Happy panningwings.gif