Options

Opinions on Photo Mechanic

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited June 24, 2008 in Finishing School
I was at a photo workshop recently where the instructor used Photo Mechanic to manage his workflow. Any comments about the program? I've downloaded the trial version to take a look at.
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    I use it and love it, though I'm sure there are plenty of features that I've not explored yet. I have it rename all my images and tag with keywords as it copies them from the cards (ingesting, they call it), then I can skim through pretty quickly looking for keepers vs trash. One click and the file's loaded into PhotoShop for me. It's a lot faster and more convientant than PS's file browser.
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Can either of you compare it Aperture as far as file sorting goes? I loved that aspect of A, but hated their integration with other RAW/post editing programs (I use Nikon Capture NX)

Cheers,
    VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Van Isle wrote:
    Can either of you compare it Aperture
    I can't, no, never used Aperature. Maybe someone else...?
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Browser vs. Cataloger w/tools
    Photo Mechanic is more of a file browser intended for rapid turnaround of a high quanitity of images. A lot of publications and agencies use Photo Mechanic. It is similar to the CS2 version of Adobe Bridge, but way better.

If you prefer to catalog your images in your own filing system with the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer then Photo Mechanic is a good way to go.

Aperture and Lightroom (which I use) is more catalog-based and focuses on user defined virtual collections. Also, with these two workflow tools you also get a gamut of post-processing tools. Photo Mechanic is significantly faster for viewing, tagging, and tossing images.
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    I was at a sports photography workshop this summer and PhotoMechanic was highly recommended. Keep in mind that those receommended process a high quantity of photos consistently.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    I was recently turned onto this program as THE tool of choice by all photojournalists. Demoing it myself now. Any new input on Photo Mechanic?