Options

Curves and Raw format: where do you adjust them?

cocasanacocasana Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited August 22, 2007 in Technique
Once I used to adjust them in C1, or ACR. Now I just do the preliminary work there, if there is any, leaving enough room to fine tune channel by channel in Photoshop. May I ask you how you do it?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 21, 2007
    If I go ballistic with curves, as I often do (I figure since there's no such thing as an unprocessed photo, why not process it to my heart's content), I do them in PS. If I'm just doing minor adjustments - and remember, adjust your exposure in camera, not in post-processing, or you're going to hell when you die :D - I use Lightroom.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited August 21, 2007
    I do my major exposure, Recovery, Fill light, and Black point sliders in Adobe Raw convertor.

I do my final color correction in my choice of black, white and gray points in Photoshop itself using Thresholds and Curves.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I try to get my image as close as possible to my final in Lightroom before I take it into Photoshop. When I apply curves in Photoshop they are usually masked to selectively affect only portions of an image. On my more complicated projects I will often find that after I have finished all the local work I need to drop a curves layer over the image (usually in Luminosity Blend mode) to slightly tweak the overall brightness.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    drop a curves layer over the image (usually in Luminosity Blend mode) to slightly tweak the overall brightness.

Worth repeating. Luminosity Blend mode is one of the photographers best pp friends.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Worth repeating. Luminosity Blend mode is one of the photographers best pp friends.

I can't but agree!!!
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Please explain to us, well me in particular, newbies. I am all self-taught, photographer and PS. I'm always looking for ways to improve my work.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    Please explain to us, well me in particular, newbies. I am all self-taught, photographer and PS. I'm always looking for ways to improve my work.

If you set your blending mode to Luminosity, the corrections you've done on the layer won't shift your colors!