What this judge was thinking!

SunsetSailorSunsetSailor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited August 20, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
First of all when Shay emailed me asking me to be a judge I realized my biggest qualification was that I didn’t make the cut to qualify for the semi-final 2. That’s a humbling and scary thought! I felt inadequate then and still do. This was a really tough task and realizing how much it must mean to each of you has put a enormous amount of pressure on me. Thank goodness there are 4 other judges!!!
I began the judging process during the first week when I had only 3 or 4 photos to ponder and to study and to analyze. I realized then that the technical merits of each photo at this level of competition were more than likely flawless. So my selection process had to be more abstract than nit picking each image. So I “back burner brained” the whole process for several days in attempt to come up with what I thought were the characteristics of a superior image. I wanted to have an organized evaluative approach for each image and to force myself to consider each photo on some common elements.

Here’s what evolved to be my rubric.
4 pts-Image Imprint (whether that image would endure in the mind’s eye)
3 pts-Technical Merit (composition, exposure, focus, pp techniques etc)
2 pts-Creativity or emotional response or ability to tell a story
1 pt - Freshness of the image or a new look to a familiar image
That gave me a total 10 points to assign to each photo.

I down loaded each photo to a folder and at that time subjected each one to the above 10 point scale for a score. I labeled each photo ONLY with it’s entry number so who the photographer was would be minimized. After I subjected the photo to a score, I added it to the image name (#12-10) so I could move around the images and group them by their score then move them again to my preference of position compared with others with the same score. That’s when I had to just be subjective, it eventually comes to that anyway. It was just me, the images, my personal experience and gut feelings.

Since #12-Writers Block ended up as my first place pick, I’ll go thru my thoughts on that specific photo.
Image imprint-I could relate to the blackness and emptiness of the mind when you struggle to come up with an idea and it just doesn’t come. The whole image, every detail, conveyed that thought. It would be easy to remember and hard to forget.
Technical merit-I enlarged the image and went section by section looking for flaws, I considered what I might have changed and found nothing.
Emotional response-A strong response to the frustration it conveys and to the despair and depression that are byproducts of that frustration. Tells that story perfectly and the selection of b&w creatively expressed the blackness of mood.
Freshness of the image-I could not recall having seen the image concept anywhere on the internet or in print.

For those who made my top ten, congratulations and good luck. For those who I have inevitably disappointed with my selections, I am extremely sorry for that, but I hope that this post will help you in the next round. As for me, this has been a most enlightening experience and I would recommend it to you. Say yes if Shay asks.

Here are my top 20 picks (not the official final selections) in my ranked order. I included the rubric score for each one so you can hopefully deduct for yourself what I might have been thinking.

Just looked at the official final selection list, 8 of my top 10 selections made it and the other 2 were in my top 15 so I feel validated that my rubric system worked pretty well. Whew!!! I just wanted to right by all your hard work.

Laura

LPSSF2Top1-15.jpg
Laura
[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
[/FONT]
http://sunsetsailor.smugmug.com

Comments

• peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Great explanation Laura and good to know.

Thanks for this information.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Thank you Laura for your very detailed explanation of your process. It's always interesting to hear how others take these Challenge entries and bring them to a final selection of winners. You obviously put a great deal of thought into this and of course, I am pleased to be on your list.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Wow, that sure is objective! Thanks for taking the time to do this for us all!!!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    wow! thanks for the details!
    I always thought an objective test of any kind would be the death of me :hide
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Thanks for the great explanation and participating in judging this round for us!
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    What a creative and fair way to break things down.

Thank you so much for sharing how you came to your ultimate decision.

Of course I am also very pleased to see #2 within your list.
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Wow, thank you for the compliments on the photo. Several friends encouraged me to keep shooting and submit something else so I really appreciate that it spoke to you.

Thank you for taking the time to judge - it looks like a tough job!
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Thanks for the explanation Laura...
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote