Options

Problems with shooting in RAW- Help!!

Leigh0190Leigh0190 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited August 21, 2007 in Finishing School
I somehow got the idea that shooting in RAW was better if you want to edit your photos in photoshop elements. So, I did a photoshoot yesterday and just opened photoshop elements to edit them. But for some reason, it doesn't even give me the option of editing those pictures. I can edit any other pictures but not the ones I shot in RAW. I have no idea what I'm doing! Can anyone help me?

Also, is it better to shoot in RAW or regular?

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Leigh0190 wrote:

You need a plug in (camera Raw) to do this. its part of Photoshop, I don't know anything about Elements but I suspect that's what should be used.

As for which is better:

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/family/prophotographer/pdfs/pscs3_renderprint.pdf
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Leigh0190 wrote:
    I somehow got the idea that shooting in RAW was better if you want to edit your photos in photoshop elements. So, I did a photoshoot yesterday and just opened photoshop elements to edit them. But for some reason, it doesn't even give me the option of editing those pictures. I can edit any other pictures but not the ones I shot in RAW. I have no idea what I'm doing! Can anyone help me?

A bunch of questions for you:

Which version of Elements do you have? Can you see the images in the Elements organizer? When you say it doesn't give you the option of editing them, what exactly is missing that is available with other images? What camera are you shooting RAW with? Have you ever upgraded the Adobe Camera RAW module that comes with your version of Elements?

As for whether it's better to shoot RAW or JPEG, there are as many opinions on that question as there are people in the world. There is no absolute right answer. Here are some articles on the subject to educate you on the various tradeoffs between the two:

JPEG vs. RAW: The advantages and disadvantages explained
    JPG vs. RAW: Get it Right The First Time
    Digital Decisions: TIFF vs. JPEG vs. RAW
    RAW mode vs. JPG

I myself shoot RAW because I think it gives me a more efficient workflow and because I think I can get higher quality out of photos that are either shot in a challenging environment or are not properly exposed. Initially, shooting RAW is pretty much always more work than shooting JPEG, but you can get efficient at it with practice and learning. But, I have nothing against people who shoot JPEG - I think this is a personal choice with no right or wrong answer.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Thank you both! I really don't know much about my elements even. Just started attempting to learn it. I am using a mac and when I click the "open" button and type in the photo number the name of the picture shows up, but it is not a clickable icon. The .jpg versions are available but not the .JPG or the RAW. And I can't edit them that small. :-) I do not have a plug in (don't know what that is) and have never upgraded my 2.0 Photoshop Elements.

Is there anything I can do to be able to edit these? I really need to remove some things like a telphone pole wire and things before I can sell these to my clients.

Thanks so much! I know so little about all of this!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Leigh0190 wrote:
    Thank you both! I really don't know much about my elements even. Just started attempting to learn it. I am using a mac and when I click the "open" button and type in the photo number the name of the picture shows up, but it is not a clickable icon. The .jpg versions are available but not the .JPG or the RAW. And I can't edit them that small. :-) I do not have a plug in (don't know what that is) and have never upgraded my 2.0 Photoshop Elements.

Is there anything I can do to be able to edit these? I really need to remove some things like a telphone pole wire and things before I can sell these to my clients.

Thanks so much! I know so little about all of this!

I don't think Elements 2.0 does RAW editing. It certainly doesn't support the latest RAW formats from the latest cameras (you need Elements 4 or 5 for that).

So, I think that leaves you with the options of upgrading to the latest version of Elements, acquiring some other app that does this or checking to see if the software that came with your camera can manipulate your RAW files.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    I'm ready to purchase Elements 4 or 5. I will definitely be able to edit RAW with that, right?

Thanks!
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Leigh0190 wrote:
    I'm ready to purchase Elements 4 or 5. I will definitely be able to edit RAW with that, right?

Thanks!

You might consider just getting Lightroom for all the Raw work and use Elements for the pixel tweaking IF the current version serves you well.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/