Options

Coastal Nova Scotia

paddlerxpaddlerx Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited September 4, 2007 in Journeys
We just needed a getaway and since we're only 1 province over...we decided a few days in nova scotia would be a nice break. Sadly the weather wasn't friendly and we had too much fog for any scenics but it turned out ok for some images i think. I appreciate any comments...

living wheat dying farm

186006132-L.jpg

turning around from the farm was this sky
185927749-L.jpg

Towards Cape Split
185927817-L.jpg

A lighthouse as seen from my kayak near indan head NS.
185927865-L.jpg

same area
185927920-L.jpg

186006270-L.jpg

186006315-L.jpg

and finally i found this little ferral kitten yesterday while riding my bike in the backcountry near some cabins (hes scoffing down the only food i had on me...a granola bar). poor little guy.
185927633-L.jpg

thanks for looking
40d/sigma 10-20/24-70 2.8L /Canon 70-200f4/50 f1.8/Canon 430EX/ebay triggers and so on.

Comments

• Options
    bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    headscratch.gif Good images. That's a trip I still plan to do when the money is right. Getting there from the US is almost as expensive as going to Europe. bsvirginian
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Beautiful Images! Are you an NB'er or a Pei'er!!?
    I love it when someone goes on vacation, because a thousand people could go to the same place and you'd never find the same pictures! These are especially nice!!!

~a fellow maritimer!:D
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    cdonovan wrote:
    Beautiful Images! Are you an NB'er or a Pei'er!!?
    I love it when someone goes on vacation, because a thousand people could go to the same place and you'd never find the same pictures! These are especially nice!!!

~a fellow maritimer!:D

thanks for the kind words. I'm from moncton actually.
    40d/sigma 10-20/24-70 2.8L /Canon 70-200f4/50 f1.8/Canon 430EX/ebay triggers and so on.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    You photos are great! I don't see any problem with the fog - it lends a great subdued feel to the place.

That kitten sure has a big mouthful o' grain there.

Your words were spare and I have never been to Nova Scotia.. what did you do in the times between hitting the shutter? :D
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Now I'm homesick (Nova Scotian transplanted to Ontario)! Great photos and I think the weather cooperated just fine. Wish you had smell-o-vision on those. I can hear the fog horns and smell the Atlantic. Sigghhhh.....
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    Patti wrote:
    Now I'm homesick (Nova Scotian transplanted to Ontario)! Great photos and I think the weather cooperated just fine. Wish you had smell-o-vision on those. I can hear the fog horns and smell the Atlantic. Sigghhhh.....

funny you say that about the fog horns. we were 'poaching' for a wilderness campsite along the coast, finally found a soon to be cottage driveway. we parked and hiked the 200' in and wound up overlooking the ocean and standing amongst giant granite boulders. off shore, somewhere in the fog, was a buoy that clattered as the swells rolled under it. your right, the ocean had that fantastic cool salty clean smell and the sound of the buoy off in the fog was near perfect.
    i made a quick run to the nearest community, found what i was hunting for and returned. shortly after my girlfriend and i were drinking a shiraz and eating huge slices from a local (and authentically italian) made pizza. Our butts were in camp chairs and our feet resting on a coffee table sized granite boulder pearched directly over the atlantic....ya it was as bad as it sounds :-)
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Great trip, great pics. Did you carry a tripod?

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    paddlerx wrote:
    funny you say that about the fog horns. we were 'poaching' for a wilderness campsite along the coast, finally found a soon to be cottage driveway. we parked and hiked the 200' in and wound up overlooking the ocean and standing amongst giant granite boulders. off shore, somewhere in the fog, was a buoy that clattered as the swells rolled under it. your right, the ocean had that fantastic cool salty clean smell and the sound of the buoy off in the fog was near perfect.
    i made a quick run to the nearest community, found what i was hunting for and returned. shortly after my girlfriend and i were drinking a shiraz and eating huge slices from a local (and authentically italian) made pizza. Our butts were in camp chairs and our feet resting on a coffee table sized granite boulder pearched directly over the atlantic....ya it was as bad as it sounds :-)

My heart bleeds but it's a controlled hemmorhage. rolleyes1.gifThat sounds like heaven to me. I can hear that buoy. It's about time for a Keith's and some fresh mussels...
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2007
    Van Isle wrote:
    Great trip, great pics. Did you carry a tripod?

VI

tripod was in the car. i used it for my longer exposures of the coast and such.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    paddlerx wrote:
    thanks for the kind words. I'm from moncton actually.

eek7.gif Me too:D mwink.gif
  • Options
    King of CanadaKing of Canada Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Great shots. I'm in Nova Scotia, and will make my own NS post!
    Canon 40D
    Canon 70-200mm F4L
    Sigma 30mm 1.4
    Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home
  • Options
    steelephotography.comsteelephotography.com Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    I loved Nova Scotia....
    Beautiful, under appreciated place in my view...

Thanks for the images...
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Some fine shots nicely thought out, skillfully taken, and I'm sure you both had a great time. thumb.gif Poaching for a campsite. Can't wait to share that with friends! What a way to say it. rolleyes1.gif
    Enjoyed the commentary from responders too. Its like seeing your pictures and others in a whole new light. Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    banjonbanjon Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    paddlerx wrote:

A funny story about the foghorns.. on Brier Island, there are three lighthouses, one is in a bird sanctuary. So when the fog horn sounds, thousands of birds are trying to be louder than the horn. It was hilarous. The horn would sound, and all the gulls and any other bird would let 'er roll.. :) Fog is nice on hot days.. instant relief.

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    StvStv Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Great captures of Nova Scotia! I could spend months there, but don't get there nearly enough. There is a new photo-op around every single corner in N.S.

http://stv.smugmug.com/gallery/1896463/1/95628213#95628213
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited September 1, 2007
    What a cool place!

Thanks for sharing a view of Nova Scotia.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    InvectiveInvective Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2007
    I love the first photo. I return to this thread everyday to have another look! I think the wheat in the front is fab :D
    "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
  • Options
    ob_3ob_3 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Beautiful
    My family and I spent 4 day in NS last summer before taking the CAT over to Bar Harbor. I think Mahone Bay and Lunenberg are amongst a couple of my favorite spots in the world, so charming and relaxing on the water.

Thanks for the pictures, they made me wish i had my d50 when we were on the trip.
    -say cheese !

Nikon d200w/ grip, 18-70 Nikkor , 85mm 1.8 , 50mm 1.8, tokina 12-24
    Nikon n80 w/grip, 28-200 Tamron
    Fuji z6900
    old school Olympus OMG-1
    Sony DSC-H3 point and shoot
  • Options
    jtfrazerjtfrazer Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Coastal Nova Scotia
    Hi,

My wife and I spent a week in N.S. in 2005 with most of our time spent on Cape Breton Island. That trip remains my favorite vacation. I'm new to smugmug and will be posting my N.S. photos there when I get organized.

I enjoyed your photos. They reminded me of the trip we took. We had one day of rain and fog but the remaining days were beautiful. The people we met were so very friendly and that added to our enjoyment.
    Jim Frazer
    http://www.neo-photography.com
    Olympus E-5
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    great! especially loved your lighthouse!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341