Anyone Ready to Critique for LPS 11?

SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited August 21, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's where I'm hoping to go for LPS 11

My working title is "1000 Tons at Your Service"

I'd love to hear your questions, comments, cheers, or jeers.

186048399-L.jpg

#2186057613-L.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    James, for what it's worth, here is my two cents.

It certainly looks like a healthy specimen under the machine category, but I really can't tell what it is. It looks like the lighting might be difficult to work with in there and it appears to be hiding some of the detail of this beast. But your name and its size certainly has me intrigued to hear you tell what it actually is!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    This certainly holds potential, but I can't feel whatever drew you to photograph this, other than it was a machine and fit the theme. ne_nau.gif If you're trying to emphasize its sheer size, a more dramatic angle--perhaps even from the ground and looking straight up its length to the ceiling--would help illustrate this better, I think.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Any chance of getting an "action" shot of this contraption working??? I agree it needs more of a dramatic angle to emphasize it's strength and size.
  • SaltForkSaltFork Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Thanks...
    Patrick, Kerry, and Susan,

Thanks for looking and helping me see this through fresh eyes. My fear about using this shot is that it is not recognizable enough and that it won't have the impact on others that it has on me. I like the photo because of the enormity of the machine and because of the light and texture. To me it's a greasy, filthy, poorly lit, location that harbors a monster...but maybe that's just me.

The machine is a hydraulic press that is used for ....um....pressing. It is capable of 1000 tons of force. Yes, that's 2,000,000 pounds of force that can be used to form just about anything you want to form. The tool currently in the press is used to form 2-inch thick steel plates into nice curved door frames for those huge windmill towers you see out on the plains. The press sits near the doorway of a very large fabrication building looking like a monster protecting its domain. When new people walk into the factory, the first reaction is something along the lines of, ".... HOLY ----, what's that?"

I may try to shoot upward at a sharper angle to try to convey the strength in a better way. I may also get a couple of worker to stand near it to give it a little more scale. An action shot is not feasible because it moves VERY SLOOOOOOOOWLY. :D

Thanks for looking guys, you've been a great help. Any other suggestions?

-- James