San Francisco 49ers Training Camp

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited August 22, 2007 in Sports
I was able to get training camp tickets and offered to bring some dgrinners, but no one took me up on the offer. Due to work issues, I was only there about 20 mintues. Football and shooting outside in general are foreign concepts to me. I'm used to shootiing ice hockey -- fast action, but in a dark cave through a scratched glass. The sun was just just harsh and I think I got a sunburn even though I wasn't out there very long. Shooting was just difficult with since people were walking in front of me. It also doesn't help that I don't really know this sport and didn't know what was going on. I don't watch the football and didn't understand the various plays, but I just listened to the people around me yelling and tried to shoot where they were staring.

1. Alex Smith, I think starting QB. I thought that this was a strange position, but someone said that I caught him in mid-straid.
186259085-L.jpg

2. He was the only one who kept losing his pants. #93 Ronald Fields
186258903-L.jpg

3. They weren't wearing full padding, but the hits were still pretty loud
186258587-L.jpg

4. Don't know who Manny Lawson is, but people kept yelling out his name as he ran by.
186258621-L.jpg

5. I learned that you can't grab helmet, but nearly everything else is fair game
186258677-L.jpg

6. I think he's the backup QB: #13 Shuan Hill
186258885-L.jpg

7. #81 -- Brandon Williams right after he made a catch
186258312-L.jpg

Hopefully, I can get tickets again next year!

C&C welcomed.

Comments

• PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Man I would love to go to one of those camps! I think my brothers moving down to San Fran next year (its my favorite football team!) and I'd definitely take you up on it. ;)

You did a great job capturing the game. You were right on all the positions too.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I think you did great considering you are new to the sport. thumb.gif In some you may want a quicker shutter speed - football moves faster than you might think and freezing the action takes a fast shutter. Nice stuff!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Man I would love to go to one of those camps! I think my brothers moving down to San Fran next year (its my favorite football team!) and I'd definitely take you up on it. ;)

You did a great job capturing the game. You were right on all the positions too.

Let me know if you're in the area next year and I'll try and get tickets again. Since the number of ticket holders have dropped over the years, the 49ers started to open up select training camps as an incentive. Even though I'm not a ticket holder, I figured out when they tickets are given out :-)

As for the knowing the positions and people, the media guide came in handy. I thought the draft pick was someone named Gore and thought one of the QB was the Bachelor guy on TV. I was wrong on both counts...
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I think you did great considering you are new to the sport. thumb.gif In some you may want a quicker shutter speed - football moves faster than you might think and freezing the action takes a fast shutter. Nice stuff!
    I'll try that next time. Is there an exposure sweet spot for shooting football in harsh sunlight?

I got dragged last year when I was even more clueless about the sport (couldn't tell apart the defense and offensive) and shot things around ISO 400 and higher (I'm normally in 800+ for hockey) I just blew everything out and got lectured afterwards by the photographers around me (lesson: check historgrams, and check them again).

I was really afraid of doing that this year. I know that in sunlight, people generally follow the sunny 16 as a rule of thumb, but do you do that in sports in the daytime as well? Or is it always best to shoot wide open like most other sports?

My goal was to redeem myself this year and I think I have a lot more to learn. Any other tips? Any particular focus points? Now, I just wait until next year and hope that i can get tickets again.
  • PhotoHoundPhotoHound Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Not bad. Shooting wide open is usually the way to go, the shallow depth of field and higher shutter speed works very well for sports.