Canon 40D vs 30D vs 400D " Help PLZ"!!

Hussain-ArtsHussain-Arts Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited September 5, 2007 in Cameras
Hey fellas,

just selling my old Canon 350D for a friend and still thinking and much cofusing of the upcoming product so i was wondering about that new Canon 40D but as i heard bad words about it from some forums like dpreview.com ... when i read the features i felt like it's the Baby of the 1D Mark III as similar with some features.
some told me go with 400D to save money for great lens but i already has 3 lenses and need a good performance body kit for them about the 30D i love it very much but seems like the new one should be better.
so help me and show me your serious opinions if you're the buyer :scratch

i'll be thanxful.

Best Reagrds
H. Tarooti
Canon 350D + Canon EF-S 18-55mm + Tamron 90mm Macro f/2.8 + Sigma 15mm Fisheye f/2.8 + Tripod + Mind + Hands.

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    First of all, take anything you read on DPR with a bag of salt--that forum is overrun with trolls & know-nothing blowhards. rolleyes1.gif

While I may be making my "it's stil not enough to make me upgrade" comments, the 40D appears to be an excellent camera. It should be after building on the 20D/30D foundation. However, I do think you need to look to your lenses. Your lineup according to your sig is the kit 18-55, Tamron 90mm macro, and Sigma 15mm fish. From what I've read the 90mm macro is a great lens, and can probably be pressed into short tele work, but is a fairly specialized lens. The 15mm fish is definitely very specialized. So that leasve you with the kit lens. There are many better options than that lens.

I would think your best bet is to watch what happens to 30D or even 20D prices and grab one of the used bodies that will surely start flooding the market. Then take the savings and upgrade your kit lens. IMHO that will be the best bang for your buck.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    bad words about something just announced yesterday?
    rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Hussain-ArtsHussain-Arts Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    bad words about something just announced yesterday?
    rolleyes1.gif

yeah that's what make me unhappy ... i said what's the hell r they talking about .. BTW thanx alot claudermilk and i'm really really appreciated every single word have written by you thumb.gif

we'll see very soooon
    Canon 350D + Canon EF-S 18-55mm + Tamron 90mm Macro f/2.8 + Sigma 15mm Fisheye f/2.8 + Tripod + Mind + Hands.
  • enriqueenrique Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2007
    yeah that's what make me
    unhappy ... i said what's the hell r they talking about .. BTW thanx alot claudermilk and i'm really really appreciated every single word have written by you thumb.gif

we'll see very soooon

It's really too soon to comment on the camera until even the pre-prod model has been tested and canon's claims verified.

So hold the fort until you hear valid opinions, then wait some more. So the short of what am saying is WAIT
  • Hussain-ArtsHussain-Arts Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    enrique wrote:
    It's really too soon to comment on the camera until even the pre-prod model has been tested and canon's claims verified.

So hold the fort until you hear valid opinions, then wait some more. So the short of what am saying is WAIT

yup i'll be waiting .. thanx wings.gif
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    i was wondering about that new Canon 40D but as i heard bad words about it from some forums like dpreview.com ...

Hard to see what they could legitimately complain about when nobody has even touched one yet. I would take such complaints with a huge grain of salt.
    some told me go with 400D to save money for great lens but i already has 3 lenses and need a good performance body kit for them about the 30D i love it very much but seems like the new one should be better.

My main body is a 30D and the two things that really stuck out for me on the 40D announcement were the 9 full-cross focus points and the three focusing screen options. There is also the 10mpel sensor, versus 8mpel, but given the clarity of the 30D's sensor I don't see a big need for that. (For that matter, the 6mpel sensor of the 300D was just fine. YMMV.)

Maybe with an improved focusing system I would consider using something other than center point focus all the time. Or maybe not. But that is a significant improvement.

Multiple options for focusing screens is a pretty big deal to me. I didn't see any detail on what the options are, but I have to assume the optional screens include manual focusing aids (split prism and/or microprism). I had to go aftermarket for that for my 30D. I consider such aids indispensable, and missed them terribly on my 300D. It's not that I really use it a lot, it's that when autofocus isn't doing the job (eg because of low light or the lens is only manual focus) you need the aids really badly. So, two thumbs up to Canon for this ... but since you can get such a screen for the 30D from the aftermarket it's not a make-or-break feature.

While it's always nice to have the newest and greatest model, if budget is a concern I would seriously consider waiting for the 40D to hit the market and look for a nice used 30D. It is a terrific body. I won't be upgrading to a 40D, if you get my drift. (Then again the 20D was also a terrific body, and the only reason I bought a 30D was that, at the time I bought the 30D, it actually cost more for a 20D. That was of course a temporary state of affairs but it took longer than I expected for the 20D price to come down enough to make it the better price/performer.)

Regarding the 400D, that body has a number of compromises. I like the sensor a lot, but I don't like the overuse of the LCD, the form factor is so small as to make it difficult to use with larger lenses, and the battery is half the size of previous models and that impacts life significantly if using a lens like the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L (admittedly not the kind of thing the 400D user would typically have, but I am a huge fan of the best glass on the cheapest body that gets the job done). In the Rebel line I prefer the 350D (the 300D was just too sloooooow).

But if budget is a hugely pressing concern, getting a cheap body and good glass is better in my opinion than getting a good body and using cheap glass. The sensors on all of the Canon DSLRs are worth putting good glass on, and the glass will still be there a few years down the line when you can afford a new body ... and of course that new body will be cheaper and more capable than what is available today.

Yet I have to caution you against buying something like the 24-70 f/2.8 L. That lens is like crack; once you buy it, you will get hooked on pro-level lenses. That is a very, very expensive habit.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    jimf wrote:
    Yet I have to caution you against buying something like the 24-70 f/2.8 L. That lens is like crack; once you buy it, you will get hooked on pro-level lenses. That is a very, very expensive habit.

rolleyes1.gif Yep, it's called "L-coholism" and is impossible to kick once you've contracted the disease. Contact with any lens with "L" in the name and a pretty red ring around the front will immediately infect you. :sick