is this how things work with a printer ?

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 22, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
ok, so ive toyed and gotten myself sick over color management. The end result is that what I produce using CS3 looks gorgeous on my iMac screen ( i believe my screen is calibrated correctly using Huey ) even though it looks like crud on a pc screen. Ive decided that ok with me.
On to printing....

im not using ICC color profiles sand Im not letting PS manage color management.

when i print using a canon i9900 it will match the screen but only if in the printer dialog box i change under color options - i change to lighter brightness and add an intensity of 3-4.
when i recently attended an Aperture Road Show, David Schloss mentioned that he found that certain printers needed this "change"....
All i want to know is that - is this correction im making the right thing to do - or is it a "fix" to fix my screwed up color management ...

troy

Comments

• NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Hi Troy, I'm reading with interest on this subject. I just messed with a new LCD monitor for 10 days and finally got it fairly correct with a Spyder2. Now to the printing.....after wasting $50 woth of ink and paper this week trying to get it right. On my canon pro9000 printer which was perfect before this new monitor, this week it was too dark and like you had to have a preset change for all of mine to print right. Will print a few tonight, and see if it matches better since the calibration. Good luck. Will be watching your post, for I have similar questions.
    windoze wrote:
    ok, so ive toyed and gotten myself sick over color management. The end result is that what I produce using CS3 looks gorgeous on my iMac screen ( i believe my screen is calibrated correctly using Huey ) even though it looks like crud on a pc screen. Ive decided that ok with me.
    On to printing....

when i print using a canon i9900 it will match the screen but only if in the printer dialog box i change under color options - i change to lighter brightness and add an intensity of 3-4.
    when i recently attended an Aperture Road Show, David Schloss mentioned that he found that certain printers needed this "change"....
    All i want to know is that - is this correction im making the right thing to do - or is it a "fix" to fix my screwed up color management ...

troy
  • D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    I have had similar problems with my Cannons ,it got worse with the PRO9000.
    I use Huey as well finally I got the best results by using color management in Nikon NX and chose ,Nikon srgb monitor and the same for the printer profile.

Netgarden have you run the calibrator in the easy print pro software it works also.
    If you haven't try it out.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    windoze wrote:

headscratch.gif So how do you expect color to come out right?

Step one: get your monitor calibrated. Sounds like you have that covered.
    Step two: embed an appropriate color space profile (e.g., sRGB, AdobeRGB). Since you aren't doing this it's a stab in the dark for apps as to what those numbers actually mean.
    Step three: Use color management-aware apps for printing with proper printer profiles. Again, you specifically say you are not doing this. And again, the printer driver is just throwing guesses and hoping for the best.

I run full color management, and across two PCs and two printers I have perfect color matching from screen to web to print. I'd suggest you review your decision to ignore proper color management. deal.gif