Black & White & Sepia

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited August 27, 2007 in Cameras
I have a Canon 400D. I have looked and better look to see if my camera will take black & white & Serpia photos but cannot find the setting. That is if there is a setting. Can anyone please help me and give me instructions if it does take black & white & serpia photos.
Kind Regards
Bob
Dumfries & Galloway

Comments

• sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I'd take the photo RAW in color... then add the effect in post processing. I think there is a way to take just BW in the camera, but its super simple to do in DPP - even batch changes.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 21, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    I have a Canon 400D. I have looked and better look to see if my camera will take black & white & Serpia photos but cannot find the setting. That is if there is a setting. Can anyone please help me and give me instructions if it does take black & white & serpia photos.
    Kind Regards
    Bob
    Dumfries & Galloway

Bob,

Here is the link to the User Manual for your camera. (Under the "Product / Software Manuals") You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it, but you can use it to search much easier than the printed manual.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=14256
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    To find it, you gotta know how to spell it. :D

"Sepia".

You're welcome!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Bob,

Here is the link to the User Manual for your camera. (Under the "Product / Software Manuals") You will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it, but you can use it to search much easier than the printed manual.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=14256

Thanks Ziggy for your help again. I really do appreciate it.
    Bob
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Like sirsloop said: take the shot in color and convert to B&W/Sepia in post processing. To really do it right you are not just stripping all color information & going grayscale (what the in-camera setting does)--that leaves a poor, cold rendition. There are dozens of ways to do it in Photoshop (run a Google search for days of reading), and some RAW converters will do it as well; my favorite is the plugin available for Bibble, I get excellent results from that.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Like sirsloop said: take the shot in color and convert to B&W/Sepia in post processing. To really do it right you are not just stripping all color information & going grayscale (what the in-camera setting does)--that leaves a poor, cold rendition. There are dozens of ways to do it in Photoshop (run a Google search for days of reading), and some RAW converters will do it as well; my favorite is the plugin available for Bibble, I get excellent results from that.

Thanks a lot Chris I will have a look at Bibble.
    Kind Regards
    Bob
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks a lot Chris I will have a look at Bibble.
    Kind Regards
    Bob

Check the showoff section on their support forum. Some of those guys are really making the most of the capabilities.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    To find it, you gotta know how to spell it. :D

"Sepia".

No, no, no. I'm sure he meant sherpa

sherpa.jpg

http://www.donsbossons.com/pages/9images/sherpa.jpg

lol3.giflol3.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac