First Horse & Rider Shots

RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited August 29, 2007 in People
Just did my first paying project involving animals. I must say that it was much harder than I anticipated. Horses really don't follow direction. It was almost like trying to herd cats.
1. Standard B&W
185410247-M-1.jpg

2.Added a little soft focus treatment. This was a big hit with the client.
185410614-M-1.jpg

3. Got'em all together
185432265-M-1.jpg

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    I like 1st and 3rd, i don't care for the soft focus shot, but if your customer loved it, that's great!! I always said, no matter how much we fuss over the shots, the last word is always from the cutstomer Congrats on your first job!!! wings.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I like 1st and 3rd, i don't care for the soft focus shot, but if your customer loved it, that's great!! I always said, no matter how much we fuss over the shots, the last word is always from the cutstomer Congrats on your first job!!! wings.gif

i don't know what it is; but everytime I put out a soft focus like that one (with a little diffuse glow), the clients snap'm right up.

• Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Memories.....
    Congrats on your first paying animal project!!clap.gif I started off almost the exact same way shooting equine events and barn shoots a few years ago. You arn't kidding about how difficult it is trying to pose a horse. I have had a lot of luck with squeeky toys and mirrors. DO NOT use food props like treats or carrots, once you give them a treat thats all they will look for (allthough it is a great way to get some wacky mouth and teeth shots.) If you are going to be doing alot of these types of shoots I have a list of suggested owner preporations and tips so they are ready for you when you get there I would be more than happy to share.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Congrats on your first paying animal project!!clap.gif I started off almost the exact same way shooting equine events and barn shoots a few years ago. You arn't kidding about how difficult it is trying to pose a horse. I have had a lot of luck with squeeky toys and mirrors. DO NOT use food props like treats or carrots, once you give them a treat thats all they will look for (allthough it is a great way to get some wacky mouth and teeth shots.) If you are going to be doing alot of these types of shoots I have a list of suggested owner preporations and tips so they are ready for you when you get there I would be more than happy to share.

I am not sure I want to any more horses. I made a big mistake taking the job. I really did not charge enough.

I would however love see your prep list. I already have 3 other people from that praticualr facility trying to set appointments.

• heatherkphotographyheatherkphotography Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Would love any tips for photographing horses...

I absolutely LOVE horses, and am hoping to get some clients soon and get my name out there. I would love any tips you would be willing to share on how to get them to cooperate :D I have photographed my own horse Beau, for the most part, and I know how to deal with him. THANKS, Heather
    The love for a horse is just as complicated as the love for another human being. If you have never loved a horse, you will never understand. ~Anonymous~
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    I love #1 & #3 great job!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG