Deer Trail Rodeo

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited August 27, 2007 in Sports
I got to shoot the rodeo in Deer Trail on Sunday for the paper. It was my first time shooting or really attending a rodeo. As is usual for Colorado this time of year it was hot, not a cloud in the sky, and difficult lighting. Faces are usually in shadow and whites are blown out. I got lucky every now and then though. Here are a few of my favorites.

This little kit caught my eye.
185735401-L.jpg

185735517-L.jpg

185735679-L.jpg

185735710-L.jpg

On to the big guys events. This guy was local and won the bare back event.
185735898-L.jpg

185735920-L.jpg

I love this shot
185735986-L.jpg

This one is pretty fun too
185736054-L.jpg

Sometimes I had to settle for the eye of the calf instead of the cowboys eye.
185736083-L.jpg

185736119-L.jpg

186460918-L.jpg

Just before the barrel races
186460949-L.jpg

186460933-L.jpg

186460942-L.jpg

If you look closely you can see some goo coming out of the bull's nose.
186460955-L.jpg

Unfortunately there weren't any really spectacular spills.
186460909-L.jpg

There are quite a few more here:
http://donek.smugmug.com/gallery/3335082
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Awesome shots! Thanks for sharing, these are great!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    I shoot rodeo's for a living and must say you did a good job.

Outdoor shoots are sometimes hard with the lighting, but you held it together nicely thumb.gif

It takes a while to learn the difference between journalistic rodeo pics and ones that the cowboys will buy, but for the paper these are great!

Welcome to rodeo photography...
    Randy
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    I shoot rodeo's for a living and must say you did a good job.

Outdoor shoots are sometimes hard with the lighting, but you held it together nicely thumb.gif

It takes a while to learn the difference between journalistic rodeo pics and ones that the cowboys will buy, but for the paper these are great!

Welcome to rodeo photography...

Thanks alot. I found your youth bull riding post. It looks great (indoors or night is tough). I guess I'd love to get your input on what would sell to the cowboys. I got somewhere around 1000 frames that day, so perhaps it's just a matter of selecting the right one in a sequence. Is it perspective?
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    donek wrote:
    Thanks alot. I found your youth bull riding post. It looks great (indoors or night is tough). I guess I'd love to get your input on what would sell to the cowboys. I got somewhere around 1000 frames that day, so perhaps it's just a matter of selecting the right one in a sequence. Is it perspective?

I'll give it a try...

Like any sport, the participants want pictures that show them in a good way. Meaning, bull riders want to buy a picture only if they are in the correct position, toes pointing out, not back on their arm, & generally with the bull standing on his nose, etc...

Steer wrestling cowboys want pics that show them in good form also. As an example, the pic that you stated that you liked, the cowboy missed grabbing the horn with his left hand. He probably didn't turn in a good time, but even if he did, he wouldn't want a picture in his house showing bad form.

Unfortunately, the cowboys won't buy crash pictures either (except rare cases). I love them, but I can understand why they wouldn't. eek7.gif

Barrel racing pics: The "norm" is to shoot the second barrel from just in front of the timer. This barrel allows a shot of the horse coming around hard with it's legs pushed out wide, and body low. (if that's the way that particular horse runs them, but most do) Also, barrel racers don't like the legs cut off of their horses.

Muttin Bustin: Most all of this is fair game & parents will buy anything that suits their fancy. Form is not really an issue at this stage. Courage and being cute is!

And don't forget... You will certainly have to clone out some "things" on some otherwise great shots. Lot's of times a bull is having a little too much fun, and it shows :eek1 Or as in the otherwise great shot you posted of the wining bareback rider... well, that rope just looks like it's coming out of a really inappropriate place eek7.gif

You did good, you just have to learn about the sport in more detail. Go to some rodeos where seasoned photogs are shooting and watch were they setup for each type of event.

One last thing: This ain't these cowboy's first rodeo. They know exactly what they want to see. Also, check the local area's rodeo picture prices. We don't want to hear that they strapped you to one of those bulls because you were charging more than what they are used to paying.

Hope that helps...

PS: Just looked at your gallery... GREAT snowboard shots!!!
    Randy
  • pahlpahl Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    Wow, them are some really amazing shots.
    http://pahl.smugmug.com

Pentax istDL
    50mm-f/1.4
    10-17mm fish-eye
    18-55mm kit lens
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
  • DJTHEMACDJTHEMAC Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    Excellent shots!!! If you dont mind me asking, what set up were you using?
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    You've really managed to catch the moment of peak action in many of those shots. Great work!

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
    edited August 26, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    I'll give it a try...

Like any sport, the participants want pictures that show them in a good way.

PS: Just looked at your gallery... GREAT snowboard shots!!!

Having never been a cowboy or followed rodeos, I don't know what's good form or really what the athlete should be doing. I do a relatively good job of shooting snowboarding because I know what to look for. All I know to look for with Rodeo is peak action. Thanks for the great advice.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

edited August 26, 2007
    DJTHEMAC wrote:
    Excellent shots!!! If you dont mind me asking, what set up were you using?

I used my D2H shooting at 8 fps. The action was too erratic and fast paced to be able to anticipate the correct moment. I shot in Aperature priority (wide open) at iso 400. I used a 70-200 f2.8 VR lens with a circular polarizer for the closer action. When shooting from the opposite end of the arena, I used a Sigma 50-500 (sometimes refered to as a Bigma).
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

edited August 27, 2007
    KMCC, pahl, & coldclimb. Thank you for the very nice comments.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com