the un-people

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 26, 2005 in People
shot today in nyc's grand central terminal. click on the photo for exif.

in post, converted from raw using adobe camera raw, slight curves adjustment, desaturated by 50%.

16470644-L.jpg

enjoy (shadow) photography,

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Well, I've been on dial up for the last few days, and haven't been trying to open many photos.

Really glad I did with this one - I enjoyed it alot!thumb.gif
    Thanks, andy

ann
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Not bad for a second rate photographer. With a little training you could go placesrolleyes1.gif Great shot Andy thnxs for sharing...
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    That is a very cool shot, Andy. Are you determined to do most of your shooting down there as an american citizen with rights,rolleyes1.gif

I love shadows like that, I bet you were kinda bored, standing around to see what you could see and jumped on those shadows. That is how I would have done it.

On the far rt of the picture, and I certainly don't know as much as you do, but it kind of bothered me that it was so light. I looked to see if it was blown, it doesn't look like it is. It is just going in that direction......

Do you like it that much lighter or do you think it could use a tad of sat or curve or whatever you use. Just a tad to keep the eye in.

I love the photo. Keep up the subway shooting. How is the weather topside?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    110104_emM5.gif Fantastic!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 25, 2005
    yeah yeah yeah whatever! wassamatta you afraid to point your camera at REAL people??? rolleyes1.gif

(all kidding aside this is movie poster good!)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

On the far rt of the picture, and I certainly don't know as much as you do, but it kind of bothered me that it was so light. I looked to see if it was blown, it doesn't look like it is. It is just going in that direction......

thanks for the comment, ginger :D and for stopping by.

so, when is blown a good thing? i'd say that's highly subjective, eh? anyhow, i do not fret too much about blown areas in certain pics. the bass player from last week, yeh that was a distraction.

in this pic? look at the pic in photoshop - there are no 255s to be found, so there's nothing blown. yeah, it's bright tho, innit? i actually positioned myself for this shot, on purpose, to get the dark area gradually lightening to the bright area.

anyhow, hope this helps :D and i bid you, good shooting today!
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    andy wrote:

in post, converted from raw using adobe camera raw, slight curves adjustment, desaturated by 50%.

Hey Andy,

Excellent pic. Boy you have to use your imagination on shots when you live in a place w/o interesting birds to shoot. :):
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • amcamc Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    shot today in nyc's grand central terminal.
    So you see dead people, too, huh? Sure beats trying to get a release signed. Really excellent work. Thanks for sharing. clap.gif
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    andy wrote:

16470644-L.jpg

Great shot Andy!thumb.gif I love the way the diagonal line of the floor leads my eye in from the lower left corner. (Natural to read from left to right) And I love the way the bright white grabbs my attention and then my eye follows the color in all the way to the other side in a progression from light to dark. Perfect composition! But then you knew that. mwink.gif Keep showin' us that cool stuff from NYC. Love it.thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Not to shabby, however next time you might consider concentrating on a more clear focus on the subjects eyes.:lol

Seriously It is a nice use of light and shadow.

Tim
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Oh my gosh, this is great
    andy wrote:

16470644-L.jpg

Love it, well seen, and all that stuff clap.gif

(wish I'd seen it first! :): )
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    andy wrote:

16470644-L.jpg

The only thing I wish was different in viewing this photo...

...is that I wish I had a bigger computer screen to see it all without having to scroll, Laughing.gif!!!

Wow...this is really powerful (almost subliminal) image, Andy! It really evokes some strong feelings...like, how many times do we feel invisible to others, or how many times do we not really see other people as we should? It certainly exemplifies what I imagine life must often feel like in a big city. Faceless crowds rushing by, a sea of anonymous nobodys. Oh, the inhumanity of it all!!! eek7.gif

On another note...guess it's about time for me to upgrade to a larger monitor, eh? 15" just doesn't cut it anymore... rolleyes1.gif

Cheers, and congrats on a really provocative image!
    ~Nee :):
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
    edited February 25, 2005
    My monitor is 21 inches
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    The only thing I wish was different in viewing this photo...

...is that I wish I had a bigger computer screen to see it all without having to scroll, Laughing.gif!!!

On another note...guess it's about time for me to upgrade to a larger monitor, eh? 15" just doesn't cut it anymore... rolleyes1.gif

Cheers, and congrats on a really provocative image!
    ~Nee :):

I have to pull my browser window out so far it almost touches from side to side in order for me to see the image without scrolling! Can't see my iChat window that way :D

We saw the 30 inch cinema display at Fry's Electronics Tuesday and I'll take it! Except as Rayna pointed out, it will cost me $100 an inch! rolleyes1.gif

For really neat photos like this one of Andy's I just drag it to my desktop so I can see it in photoshop without frames, etc.
    edited February 25, 2005
    smaller versions for nee, and dee.
    andy wrote:

16470644-M.jpg

16470644-S.jpg

smaller versions of these. fyi you can reply, and substitue -L with -M or -S if you want to make it smaller.
    edited February 25, 2005
    Thanks, Andy!!!
    andy wrote:
    smaller versions of these. fyi you can reply, and substitue -L with -M or -S if you want to make it smaller.

Thanks for posting the smaller sizes for Dee and me! :cheer Your photo still looks just as good no matter how big (or small!).

And thanks for the tip!!! I'll remember that one (assuming it's only possible to do this with Smugmug pics, right?).

Cheers!
    ~Nee :photo

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Interesting image Andy.Now,if you had a can of "un-cola" in there thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Love the creativity. nod.gif Nice shot, Andster.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 26, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Not bad for a second rate photographer. With a little training you could go placesrolleyes1.gif Great shot Andy thnxs for sharing...

lol3.gif thanks 4labs!
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Well, I've been on dial up for the last few days, and haven't been trying to open many photos.

Really glad I did with this one - I enjoyed it alot!thumb.gif
    Thanks, andy

ann

thank you, ann. hows the cold canadian winter treating you and yours?

Nir wrote:
    110104_emM5.gif Fantastic!

thanks nir - and habat shalom, haver.
    edited February 26, 2005
    yeahbut...
    Dee wrote:
    I have to pull my browser window out so far it almost touches from side to side in order for me to see the image without scrolling! Can't see my iChat window that way :D

We saw the 30 inch cinema display at Fry's Electronics Tuesday and I'll take it! Except as Rayna pointed out, it will cost me $100 an inch! rolleyes1.gif

For really neat photos like this one of Andy's I just drag it to my desktop so I can see it in photoshop without frames, etc.

dee, what resolution are you on? the orig image i posted is only 800px by 600px... you should be able to view it on a 21" monitor :)
    edited February 26, 2005
    Hey Andy!
    andy wrote:
    dee, what resolution are you on? the orig image i posted is only 800px by 600px... you should be able to view it on a 21" monitor :)

How about on a 17" one? CompUSA had a really good deal on a flat screen LCD! :D

~Nee rolleyes1.gif

ps. my hubby bought me a new computer to go with the new screen, too! iloveyou.gif

Sony Vaio w/ Pentium 4, 3.0 ghz processor that supports hyper threading technology, 200 gig HD, 512 RAM (upgradable to 2 gig), Combo DVD/DVD RW Drive, CD-ROM, built in memory card reading slots for CF, SD, XD and Memory Stick media, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (they said it was the closest thing to a MAC, Laughing.gif! I tried to get him to switch, but he refuses ne_nau.gif )

edited February 26, 2005
    I can see it...
    andy wrote:

Oh I do see the entire image, Laughing.gif

What I thought I wrote was that I have to expand my browser window so it almost covers my desktop (leaving about an inch on either side) in order to see the entire image.

I have my monitor resolution set at 1024 x 768.

I don't like the higher monitor resolution -- too small! Laughing.gif This way it's easy to see and read without my contacts.

But, thank you for posting the smaller size image!
  • CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    What a neat concept for a shot! Loff it Andy. thumb.gif

~Heidi~
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

edited February 27, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    yeah yeah yeah whatever! wassamatta you afraid to point your camera at REAL people??? rolleyes1.gif

(all kidding aside this is movie poster good!)

lol3.gif thanks angelo
    edited February 27, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Andy,

Excellent pic. Boy you have to use your imagination on shots when you live in a place w/o interesting birds to shoot. :):

harry, thanks man. but believe it or not, there are lots of birds inside gct this winter! i'll try to shoot 'em, or eat 'em, just for you lol3.gif :eat
    edited February 27, 2005
    amc wrote:
    So you see dead people, too, huh? Sure beats trying to get a release signed. Really excellent work. Thanks for sharing. clap.gif

thanks for stopping by and commenting, amc :D
    edited March 5, 2005
    Cosmic wrote:
    What a neat concept for a shot! Loff it Andy. thumb.gif

~Heidi~
    thanks so much, cosmic!
    edited March 5, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    How about on a 17" one? CompUSA had a really good deal on a flat screen LCD! :D

~Nee rolleyes1.gif

ps. my hubby bought me a new computer to go with the new screen, too! iloveyou.gif

Sony Vaio w/ Pentium 4, 3.0 ghz processor that supports hyper threading technology, 200 gig HD, 512 RAM (upgradable to 2 gig), Combo DVD/DVD RW Drive, CD-ROM, built in memory card reading slots for CF, SD, XD and Memory Stick media, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (they said it was the closest thing to a MAC, Laughing.gif! I tried to get him to switch, but he refuses ne_nau.gif )
    what a nice guy thumb.gif
    edited March 5, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Interesting image Andy.Now,if you had a can of "un-cola" in there thumb.gif
    wxwax wrote:
    .....Andster

thanks john and sid! appreciate you guys stoppign by and looking, and commenting.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    i like it
    andy

really like this shot-saw it pointedly(eg caption) placed in another forum- it really captures the essence of non- posting, hyper critical trolls -or maybe i am readiing too much into it-i like it in any case.

greg
    andy wrote:

Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    Nope...You'll Have to Shoot it Again Andy
    Heyyyyyyyy!!!! I made it whooooohooooooo!!! clap.gif
    Now I dunno if you noticed it or not Andy, but that one on the end has his eye's shut........so you'll have to shoot that one again ha ha ha ha ha :D

Great Image, I really like how you put that one over.........hey did Nancy get to see your book? did ya share it :)

Catch you again soon, I've even learnt how to post reply's to people too as well as post images .... and it only took me how many months?? hehehe rolleyes1.gif ohhhh well, I figured it out finally, that's what counts.

Catch you again soon........... Skippy (Australia)
    andy wrote:

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin